Community Member

Default Post-Feywild monk gear

I have been reading some forum and reddit posts without finding a common consensus in what is the current meta on monk gear (cap play). Is there one atm, or is the debate rolling wildly somewhere I'm not reading? Would be very interested to hear some opinions on the subject.

Primarily interested in wraps (got decent wraps, not decent staves). I was thinking of basing it on sharn family set, but many suggestions I have seen seem to go to feywild for all sets (ditching familily set, just using certain items). It takes 7 pieces to get the 25 melee power bonus from feywild set, which sharn accomplishes with 3 items that already cover a lot of the basics with zero overlap. And fitting a 7 piece summer set i feel is bound to give me a lot of overlapped or useless stats.

I should mention... I prefer optimizing for low to midskulls solo or pug play over anything with a group with optimized roles and and a tank that can hold aggro all the time, cause those things are so rare on the server and times I play, and I'm mostly too impatient to be able to rely on getting quests done on high reapers before joining a midskull or lowskull one. The R10 play and prep optimization, relying on raid gear I wont get (takes to long to farm for someone who changes build very often and dont raid more than once or twice a week at most), swaps to prepare for a fight, twitching skills etc, interests me very little anyway (stressful and boring at the same time somehow :P), and I mostly do it out of a sense of duty, so as to not to lose out on rxp.

This means that i often need to rely on my own CC, decent defences, hp etc, and cannot focus solely on dps. Therefor something like Titanias glory, that so many praise, makes little sense to me as it basically puts an item on for only one of the 4 effects (not counting set bonus), as everything but crown of summer seems more or less useless on a monk, and that effect is a bit of heal amp and a measly 3% or so extra damage (assuming roughly 200 melee power without it, which isnt such a stretch to imagine). In the same reasoning, stuff like perfect pinnacle ( yeah I know its not the same slot as the helmet, just using it as an example), albeit a bit old, makes a lot of sense to me, cause its "free CC" that I cannot rely on anyone in my parties providing (or even if solo) for whenever dire charge is on cooldown or a mob rolled a 20 on its save..

Also interested to hear if staff build gear is significantly different from wraps based gear and if so why (the philosophy behind it, why u dont need certain stats on one while u do on the other, etc). The exact gear useful for a staff build I can read on other posts (or at least I hope so, havent looked too closely as Im mostly interested in wraps atm)
    Last edited by gudal84; 04-10-2021 at 10:18 PM.

I use winter warrior
    3pc family and 4pc winter

On the reroll, I’m currently alchy,
    I’ve picked up a direwolf, that’s fey, not raid
    Allows swap out of pinnacle
    The raid trinkets a trap, so is spring it seems, to me...
    Trinket can fill needed holes and Qwis
    I use the wis artifact ring for quality
    Collective sight for con and iwis

But it’s more a personal tetris
    I would use duality

Many are claiming prowess and cob for the mp
    But thinking this over this morning, I’ve had some insight
    They have the items, there just not in sets
    So on monk I’ve found I have to compromise,
    But with the right pieces it comes out better
    But i had the direwolf passed, so it’s your circle
    Kil Glory
    30 alchemist
    HOW
    Sarlona

I also use the three-piece Legendary Part of the Family set and Duality handwraps.

My build is a Wisdom-based, pure 20 Monk.

The trinket I use is the Legendary Corroded Iron Figurine which helps greatly with stunning either via Stunning Fist or Dire Charge.

Other selected items I use are the Radiant Ring of Taer Valaestas, the Piston Boots (for the +5 Quality Combat Mastery mostly), and The Cornerstone Champion for the Superior Reinforced Fists property.

Build for Stunning and Dodge. With a good Wisdom, you should be able to reach 130 DC Stunning and a 45%+ Dodge.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

I'll add another vote for the 3 piece Family + 4 Piece Winter sets. It adds a good balance of melee power and tankiness. Duality wraps are best in slot too.
    Member: Circle of Night (Cristyle Sunn, Grygor Sunn, WarChild Sunn)
    Magic is a curious thing; full of hope and promise one minute, then someone summons a t-rex jet fighter to kill you.

Community Member

Default Thanks :)

Cool. Nice replies. I wanted to revisit monk specifically because both spite and duality dropped for me in 2 consecutive RL raids. I very much like that you suggest 4 piece winter + 3 piece sharn. Its what I was hoping you would say :P Lacking a few of the feywild items, specifically most some feytwisted ones (direwolf among others). What 4 pieces do u use? I have direbear belt, the boots, the two rings and the necro-thing (trinket? necklace?). Dont think ill farm before TR. Was thinking of doing a "double life", in which trying wraps first and shuri after an ETR. I know its a bout to get nerfed, but hoping I'll at least get a few cap quests in before the nerf hits. The damage should theoretically be the same, unless they cap doubleshot to 2 hits (which it didnt seem to me they would).

Maybe more monk than this, but this is the minimum I wanna do at this point until I have tested to see.
    Its been a while since I was on monk, about when RL came out I think, and managed to get bored with it cause I did 10 consequtive ETRs, which I have since stopped doing :P Its gonna be a drow. Its next in line on my ETRs and goes well with the shuri-jump after ETR. Might do a monk again when I get to asimar, but wanna get rid of the races with what I believe to be the weaker racials trees first.