Community Member

Default DDO Crashing My PC

When playing DDO, randomly my PC will crash. All audio cuts out, my monitors turn random colours (I've had white, black, pink, but always a single solid colour and each of my 2 monitors can be different), and I can't do anything except shut off my machine with the physical power button. I have monitored temps and found no issues there, and I'm not running any other programs aside from firefox and discord, so my machine isn't being overworked. No specific quest, action, or playtime will cause the crash either, it is seemingly completely random, aside from it only happening while actively playing DDO.
    Last edited by Odocrux; 07-22-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Community Member

Default bump

bump
    Last edited by Odocrux; 07-22-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Try swapping between the 32bit and 64bit client to see if one is more stable, also try between dx9, dx10, dx11 in the game settings. Sometimes certain combos just hate certain bits of hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Odocrux View Post
    I have monitored temps and found no issues there
    Tell us what temps you are seeing. This sounds a lot like graphics card overheating. Or maybe the ram, or the cpu, etc.

Community Member

My CPU temps are sitting around 40C, highest I've gotten was 55C. As for GPU, my average temps are between 40C-50C, highest I've seen was 60C.

My CPU temps are sitting around 40C, highest I've gotten was 55C. As for GPU, my average temps are between 40C-50C, highest I've seen was 60C.
    What resolution are you running at? Just to rule things out, you could try running in a much lower resolution to see if the crash still occurs. Trying to narrow down the cause.

Agree that testing out different launcher types & dx versions might help. I have to run 64bit on my 6800xt, never had a problem with 32bit on my 1080ti.

Does it derp out if you are running bios & GPU defaults?

Does DDO have a crash log anywhere?

I want to echo the concerns here. I have played DDO since 2008 and I have never seen instability like this.

I came back for the new hardcore season after a ~6 month hiatus. I never had problems before, but now the client is crashing at least 5 times a night. Tonight it was crashing multiple times per quest--probably 20 times in total.

I have tried the 32- and 64-bit clients, DX9 and DX10 and DX11, sound on and off, graphics at all different quality, and all significant combinations thereof. I have also tried resetting all app options.

The next step will be to do a brand new install, but this is kind of crazy. A random crash here and there is one thing, but this is making it to where I can't even have a coherent play session. Like I mentioned before, this is definitely a new thing b/c I've played DDO for a long time and with this PC for about 4 years now and I've never had more than a small handful of crashes during that whole time.

I could use whatever guidance people can provide. Is there a crash log or something I can look into? Are there some other settings combinations I can try?

When playing DDO, randomly my PC will crash. All audio cuts out, my monitors turn random colours (I've had white, black, pink, but always a single solid colour and each of my 2 monitors can be different), and I can't do anything except shut off my machine with the physical power button. I have monitored temps and found no issues there, and I'm not running any other programs aside from firefox and discord, so my machine isn't being overworked. No specific quest, action, or playtime will cause the crash either, it is seemingly completely random, aside from it only happening while actively playing DDO.

Specs:

i5-8600k@5.0GHz

Vega 64

16GB DDR4 RAM

I will be glad to provide any other information, and any help is greatly appreciated.
    Remove your current driver with the DDU program and install the 20.11.2 or 21.Q1 driver
    AMD's new drivers are even burning VGAs from previous generations.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gralhota View Post
    Remove your current driver with the DDU program and install the 20.11.2 or 21.Q1 driver
    AMD's new drivers are even burning VGAs from previous generations.
    I DDUd my drivers and got an older driver, let's hope it fixes the crashes. The main problem finding out if a solution works is because the crashing is so inconsistent and sporadic, I can go weeks without seeing one or I can get multiple in a day so I have no way of knowing if it's fixed or if I'm in a "dry spell."

I DDUd my drivers and got an older driver, let's hope it fixes the crashes. The main problem finding out if a solution works is because the crashing is so inconsistent and sporadic, I can go weeks without seeing one or I can get multiple in a day so I have no way of knowing if it's fixed or if I'm in a "dry spell."

High probability that the problem is some memory stick, but there are numerous other factors.
    Tips
    1. Remove the memories and clean them with isopropyl alcohol or those white and erasable school rubbers

2. Download the MEMTEST86 program, put it on a bootable USB stick.
    Test each memory stick alone.
    Put the test to run and go do something else: sleep, work, study, etc ...
    The longer the test time with no errors found, the more likely your memory is not bad or if you have a problem, it is in an address and therefore it takes weeks to crash.

If MEMTEST detects an error, replace the memory. I don't know where you live but if you have the money, change the memory to solve the problem for good.

I don't know how to speak English, maybe something got weird. Tell me if you don't understand something, I'll try another way.

I have a memory with a defective address so sometimes when the pc accesses this address it crashes. Unfortunately I can't buy another one so I'm counting on LoL luck

Default Fixed for me

Quote Originally Posted by admiralakbar View Post
    I want to echo the concerns here. I have played DDO since 2008 and I have never seen instability like this.

I came back for the new hardcore season after a ~6 month hiatus. I never had problems before, but now the client is crashing at least 5 times a night. Tonight it was crashing multiple times per quest--probably 20 times in total.

I have tried the 32- and 64-bit clients, DX9 and DX10 and DX11, sound on and off, graphics at all different quality, and all significant combinations thereof. I have also tried resetting all app options.

The next step will be to do a brand new install, but this is kind of crazy. A random crash here and there is one thing, but this is making it to where I can't even have a coherent play session. Like I mentioned before, this is definitely a new thing b/c I've played DDO for a long time and with this PC for about 4 years now and I've never had more than a small handful of crashes during that whole time.

I could use whatever guidance people can provide. Is there a crash log or something I can look into? Are there some other settings combinations I can try?
    Replying here with a fix that has been working for me so far (fingers crossed). I hope this can help someone else.

Basically, I used tools provided by my graphics card manufacturer to limit the framerate for the DDO client to 60 FPS and I have not seen any more client crashes since. I don't know what changed in the last 6 months where this is now required, but it is what it is.

For full context, here are details about my setup:
    - Windows 10 Pro
    - CPU = Intel i5-7600k @3.8GHz
    - RAM = 16GB DDR4 (2x8)
    - Gfx = Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070
    - 2 monitors at 2560x1440

And here are other solutions I tried unsuccessfully:
    - installing latest graphics card drivers, full driver uninstall/clean/reinstall
    - switching between 32- and 64-bit clients
    - reducing graphics quality
    - switching between DirectX 9, DX10, DX11
    - forcing client to run as administrator
    - forcing client to run in compatibility mode
    - running in windowed/fullscreen, at lower resolution
    - disabling audio
    - reinstalling the game from scratch (from DDO.com)
    - installing the game from Steam
    - diagnosing video card for problems (none found)
    - diagnosing RAM for problems (none found)
    - (again, what actually worked) limiting client FPS to 60 FPS using NVIDIA tools

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Specs:

i5-8600k@5.0GHz

Vega 64

16GB DDR4 RAM

I will be glad to provide any other information, and any help is greatly appreciated.
    Install DirectX 9, if you haven't done so already.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

I remember my previous computer had audio driver issues (only with DDO & LOTRO) where I had to swap what source I was using (I can't recall if I went from onboard to HDMI or vice versa) but it stopped the hard crashes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by admiralakbar View Post
    Replying here with a fix that has been working for me so far (fingers crossed). I hope this can help someone else.

Basically, I used tools provided by my graphics card manufacturer to limit the framerate for the DDO client to 60 FPS and I have not seen any more client crashes since. I don't know what changed in the last 6 months where this is now required, but it is what it is.
    I set the "Sync with Refresh Rate" in Adv Graphics, and it worked for me. It hasn't crashed since. If you have a monitor with a higher refresh rate than 60, this would be a better option with higher FPS, without crashing or tearing.

CORRECTION: It worked for a while longer without crashing with "Sync" on. I believe now that I had a problem with my memory OC. I boosted the DRAM voltage, turned off "Sync with Refresh Rate," and changed my refresh rate from "Auto" to the same as my monitor. It seems to be working fine, now.
    Last edited by Ferrell_Redhill; 03-15-2023 at 01:14 AM.