Thread: Thrower Build

Default Thrower Build

I have been playing with the idea of creating a Thrower. I see a number of Thrower toons that are 11 Rogue, 6 Ranger, and 3 Bard. I get the 6 Ranger for tier 5 deep woods Stalker, and 3 Bard for Swashbuckler, and Rogue for sneak attack. I am wondering what the enhancement splits are for this build. And Why is this a better Thrower than an Alchemist (vile chemist) with Int for almost all abilities.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Galinar View Post
    Why is this a better Thrower than an Alchemist (vile chemist) with Int for almost all abilities.
    I presume you mean "why rogue 11 instead of Alchemist 11?" and the short-ish version is: sneak attacks scale off Ranged Power; Vile Chemist's poison damage scales off Spellpower. So if you focus your thrower build on SAs from rogue + DWS enhancements, you only need RP gear; if you go the VC route, you need RP and Poison SP gear. In other words, it simplifies your gear set if you only have sneak attacks. The downside is you need to be within Point Blank Shot (PBS) range to get ranged sneak attacks and also need to make your target vulnerable; but between Sniper Shot and Deception gear, that shouldn't be too hard.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Sneak_attack

That said, the rog 11 / rgr 6 / bard 3 builds are focused solely on ranged DPS. They are other benefits from going with Alchemist as your primary class than just poison damage like self-buffs, Curatives, etc. So part of picking the right build for yourself is figuring out what mix of features you want.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

There are many variations with enhancements - either vistani knife fighter tier 5+ capstone or deepwood stalker tier 5. I tested both and found Vistani a bit better but there might be an attack sequence or bug I don't know about making deepwood stalker better.

I was given someone else's build as a starting point and made a bunch of mods to it. I liked the gearing options I gained by adding orb but going with nothing in off-hand might give you once extra missle in your big attack - in my case it didn't. Most people go with nothing in off-hand for the extra 10% doubleshot.

Overall really like it. Celerity s/be in my enhancements - not sure what change was made to fit it in or if it was from bonus ap.

This is what I am using - sorry for the copy/paste slop:

ENHANCEMENTS
    Vistani Knife Fighter (41)
    Cores

• Knife Expertise
    • Knife Juggler
    • Quick Reflexes
    • One With The Blades
    • Vistani Fortune
    • Blade Master

Tier 1

• Vistani Knife Training I
    • Undead Hunter
    • Mist Stalker I

Tier 2

• Vistani Knife Training II
    • Bleeding Cuts
    • Mist Stalker II
    • Haste Boost x3

Tier 3

• Vistani Knife Training III
    • Mist Stalker III
    • Deadly Blades
    • Dexterity

Tier 4

• Vistani Knife Training IV
    • Mist Stalker IV
    • Dexterity

Tier 5

• Vistani Knife Training V
    • Whirling Blades
    • Mist Stalker V
    • Vendetta

Deepwood Stalker (13)
    Cores

• Far Shot
    • Sneak Attack
    • Sniper Shot

Tier 1

• Stealthy x3
    • Increased Empathy x1

Tier 2

• Faster Sneaking x3
    • Improved Weapon Finesse

Tier 3

• Dexterity

Swashbuckler (13)
    Cores

• Confidence
    • Swashbuckling

Tier 1

• On Your Toes x1
    • Blow By Blow x3

Tier 2

• Action Boost Doubleshot x 3

Tier 3

• Dexterity

Assassin (13)
    Cores

• Knife in the Darkness
    • Dagger in the Back
    • Assassin’s Trick

Tier 1

• Toxin Affinity x1
    • Sneak Attack Training 1
    • Stealthy x3

Tier 2

• Sneak Attack Training II

Tier 3

• Sneak Attack Training III

If you have more than 80 AP put the rest into halfling: Cores, Sneak Attack Line, Healing Dragonmark Line

GEAR

Goggles The Masque Strength of Purpose
    Insightful Deadly 7
    Soundproof
    Globe of True Imperial Blood augment
    Strange Tidings Augment (1 of 3)
    Helm Helm of the Final Watcher Seeker 21
    Quality Deadly 5
    Accuracy 34
    Insightful Doubleshot 7
    Essence of Ultimatum - Petrification Immunity
    Topaz of Fear Immunity
    Neck Rosethorn Necklace Thorn of the Rose
    Deception 19
    Bluff 22
    Sapphire of Good Luck +2
    Sapphire of Armored Agility +2
    Draconic Soul Gem
    Filigree (all the rare version)

• Crackshot Negotiator Ranged Power
    • Spines of the Manticore/The Wreath of Flame Ranged Power
    • Spines of the Manticore Ranged Power
    Trinket Legendary Five Rings Sheltering 45
    Deadly 14
    Tendon Slice
    Quality Dexterity 4
    Strange Tidings Augment (2 of 3)
    Cloak Legendary Cloak of Spring Electricity Absorb 50%
    Dexterity 21
    Insightful Dexterity 10
    Parrying 10
    Diamond of Wisdom 12
    Belt Direwolf Belt Deception 17
    Insightful Seeker 10
    Shield Bonus 21
    Diamond of Insightful Wisdom 5
    Ring 1 Circle of Malevolence Resistance 14
    Vitality 60
    Insightful Sheltering 23
    Diamond of Festive Dexterity 2
    Strange Tidings Augment (3 of 3)
    Gloves Legendary Wildwood Gauntlets Lesser Displacement
    Dodge 21
    Natural Armor Bonus 21
    Distant Diversion 33
    Topaz of Deathblock
    Boots Legendary Deepsnow Boots Insightful Constitution 10
    Quality Constitution 5
    Freedom of Movement
    Fortitude Save 17
    Topaz of Feather Falling
    Ring 2 Legendary Nocturne Ring True Seeing
    Sapphire of Greater Heroism
    Bracers Legendary Vinelash Bracers Improved Deception
    Quality Deception 4
    Doubleshot 13
    Insightful Dodge 10
    Diamond of Insightful Intelligence 5 (for trapping)
    Armor Legendary Wildwood Vest Fortification 214
    Physical Sheltering 54
    Healing Amp 85
    False Life 81
    Essence of the Epic Litany of the Dead augment
    Weapon Wide Open Sky Aligned
    Soul Tear (debuff)
    Holy 10
    Coruscating 10
    Deconstructor augment
    Ruby of the Vampire Slayer augment
    Filigree (all the rare version)

• Treachery Dexterity +1
    • Treachery/Twilight Coak Dexterity +2
    • Deadly Rain: Ranged Power
    • Deadly Rain: Critical Confirmation
    • The Wreath of Flame: Ranged Power
    • Crackshot Negotiator Ranged Power
    • Crackshot Negotiator Attack and Damage
    • Spines of the Manticore Ranged Power
    • Spines of the Manticore/ Wreath of Flame Ranged Power
    Off-hand The Heart of the Prince Orb 85 Healing Amp
    Constitution 21
    Ghostly
    Ruby of Devotion 139
    Quiver Blunted ammunition

Note: Same filigree in different items currently stacks and counts for set bonus. It’s uncertain if this is working as intended and may change in the future requiring using a toolkit to remove and replace filigree

Also, the strange tidings augments must go in non-set items to function properly without overwriting other set bonuses so location of those augments is very important.

You should also have a swap weapon (referred to as “Mists Weapon” going forward) with 4 Through the Mists Filigree. This with uncanny dodge will give you a bonus to ranged power.

Ideally I would also have a 2nd weapon with shattered device filigree for boss debuffing - I don’t currently have it - it’s a work in process.

I use cannith crafted swap trinkets for trapping and Int (one for search and one for disable)

Set Bonuses

Legendary Wallwatch +3 Sneak Attack Die
    25% Artifact bonus to Fortification Bypass
    20% Artifact Bonus to Doubleshot
    20 Artifact Bonus to Ranged Power
    Eminence of Spring 10% Missile Deflection
    15% Artifact Bonus to Helpless Damage
    Eminence of Winter 25 Artifact Bonus to PRR
    15 Artifact Bonus to Healing Amp
    20% Artifact bonus to Hit Points
    Treachery +5 Ranged Power
    Deadly Rain +5 Ranged Power
    The Wreath of Flame 5% Fire Absorb
    Permanent Fire Shield
    Crackshot Negotiator +10 Diplomacy
    +15 Ranged Power
    Spines of the Manticore +2 Damage
    +3% Missile Deflection
    +10 Ranged Power
    3 piece Strange Tidings augment +4 Artifact Dexterity

Big Attack Sequence (setup on hotbar)

• Swap to Mists Weapon
    • Click Uncanny Dodge
    • Swap back to main weapon
    • Assassin’s Trick on Boss (reduce Fort and lose immunity to sneak damage)
    • Click Multitude of Missles
    • Click Doubleshot Action Boost
    • Click on Vendetta
    • Click Hunt’s End
    • Click Sniper Shot (or Blow By Blow in raid to avoid changing aggro)

Mini-Attack Sequence

• Click on Multitude of Missles
    • Click on Hunt’s End
    • Click on Sniper Shot

Last edited by slarden; 03-15-2021 at 06:45 PM.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Default Bard Benefits

Thank you so much for your detailed layout Slarden!

I want to try a rogue/ranger thrower like the one you've lain out but I'm wondering what the primary benefit is from the 3 bard levels.

Vistani gives the same competence bonus to critical multiplier and range as SB when it comes to throwing daggers. It seems like it might be better to just do some more rogue levels for another sneak attack die, another special feat and a little more BAB.

Is there something else there?
    Short Fat Bald Guys of Khyber: Zyp, Klod, and a bunch of mules...

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyp View Post
    Vistani gives the same competence bonus to critical multiplier and range as SB when it comes to throwing daggers. It seems like it might be better to just do some more rogue levels for another sneak attack die, another special feat and a little more BAB.
    Swashbuckling is actually +1 crit range over VKF bonus and you can take it a lot sooner. But the big incentive is the extra Doubleshot from Dashing Scoundrel and the DS action boost.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Swashbuckling is actually +1 crit range over VKF bonus and you can take it a lot sooner. But the big incentive is the extra Doubleshot from Dashing Scoundrel and the DS action boost.
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Yes those are both important. The crit range is beneficial all the time and the doubleshot action boost is part of the big attack sequence for max burst dps.

I will also add that blow by blow in swashbuckler is very important for raiding. Sniper shot resets aggro and can cause the boss to turn and kill melees when he turns around (this is meant to be a warning and not a tip on how to kill your teammates!). However, if you substitute blow-by-blow in place of your sniper shot for your big attack in raids (referring to bosses here) the dps will be a bit lower unfortunately but it's better for the party in general vs. 2 melees biting the dust and being on a timer.
    Last edited by slarden; 04-06-2021 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    Yes those are both important. The crit range is beneficial all the time and the doubleshot action boost is part of the big attack sequence for max burst dps.

I will also add that blow by blow in swashbuckler is very important for raiding. Sniper shot resets aggro and can cause the boss to turn and kill melees when he turns around (this is meant to be a warning and not a tip on how to kill your teammates!). However, if you substitute blow-by-blow in place of your sniper shot for your big attack in raids (referring to bosses here) the dps will be a bit lower unfortunately but it's better for the party in general vs. 2 melees biting the dust and being on a timer.
    I am so glad I asked! Thank you for your responses!
    Short Fat Bald Guys of Khyber: Zyp, Klod, and a bunch of mules...

Community Member

I was curious about this idea as well, this thread was helpful.

Community Member

Default doubleshot Boost vs Attack Power boost Post U49

Quote Originally Posted by Palor0 View Post
    I was curious about this idea as well, this thread was helpful.

If i understood it the right way Doublesshot now just enhances dmg. similiar to Ranged Power post U49.

> Does that mean i can treat Doublesshot attack Boost and Attack Power Boost equaly and i could interchange the doublestrike Boost of the posted throwing Build with the attack Power Boost of Assassin without much loss?

I know it has been a while since this thread had action. Thanks for the write-up Slarden! I am wondering how Horizen Walker and U51 may have changed things on this build.

Hero

Horizon Walker has made throwers obsolete. If you want ranged, bows are the highest damage option. I just did the math on a 14 Monk/6 Ranger shuri, and it falls behind bows. Considering thrown daggers are -81% dshot less than shuri, they are even further behind.
    Khyber: Ying-1, Kobeyashi, Nichevo-1 | 75 million Reaper XP

Quote Originally Posted by Galinar View Post
    I know it has been a while since this thread had action. Thanks for the write-up Slarden! I am wondering how Horizen Walker and U51 may have changed things on this build.
    Throwing DPS has been behind bows since they made the change to martial dps to reduce lag and that gap widened with bow and horizon walker changes . Even some of the people that argued throwing was stronger at the time are now acknowledging the truth.

I wouldn't bother with a thrower right now - it's weaker at every level from 1-30. My take-down times on a thrower are worse than it even shows on paper.

I didn't bother posting my bow setup because it's too similar to a few other builds I saw the forum as most of the decisions are fairly obvious other than class split which will depend heavily on playstyle preferences.
    Last edited by slarden; 12-17-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    Throwing DPS has been behind bows since they made the change to martial dps to reduce lag and that gap widened with bow and horizon walker changes . Even some of the people that argued throwing was stronger at the time are now acknowledging the truth.
    The experience I had with a thrower about a month ago is that the attack speed for them has some bugs in it. Taking the 30% throwing speed enhancement from the destiny tree had no noticible effect on the speed of attacks. Holding down the button attacks considerable slower than rapidly clicking the button as well. I have a feeling when they made the attack speed changes to limit ranged attack speeds they broke throwing. inquisitives shoot dual crossbows faster than throwers can throw.. I know the entire concept of the inquisitive splitting a single crossbow into two that they can somehow hold the second without having a free hand even, all while reloading and shooting both faster than someone with a single crossbow can do the same is pretty stupid on its own... but still

Community Member

Default Leveling Guide, PLEASE . . .

I have gone through this thread (and a BUNCH of other ones). I keep seeing references to coming across "the" 11 rogue/6 ranger/3 bard build, but have been unable to find the build information. Plenty of references to the order not being a big deal, but a list of the feats that should be taken. I appreciate all of that information, but am a little new to DDO. I also know that it is not a great build, but have already gotten the Visanti Enh Tree.
    Soooooo . . . would REALLY appreciate it if someone could put together a leveling guide. I keep coming across references that have back and forth comments, such as taking SWF prior to getting TWF at Ranger 2. Some reference to it benefitting part of the Bard enhancements. This is why I am hoping for some help.

Would like to go Drow (not Halfling, though I understand why that is suggested). Weapon suggestions at level ranges would be appreciated.

Community Member

It's just incredible what analysis you have provided, thank you very much. I just wanted to try a new hero. I think now my choice is easier.

Thank you very much for the detailed analysis, I was at the crossroads of choosing between the heroes.