Community Member

Default Did warlock get nerfed again?

Epic Eldritch Dice: +1d6 + 1d6 per 2 epic levels (1 die loss ) [ This is what the tool tip states ]
    Epic Pact Dice: +1d4 +1d4 per 2 epic levels ( 6 die gain )

Running at 30 with both feats on a warlock tank.

Eldritch Damage should be 12d6 ( 645 spellpower )
    Pact Damage should be 17d4 ( 561 spellpower )

The Eldritch Damage though appears to be significantly less than what it was before the update. Much more than the loss of a single die would merit.
    Often the damage from the Eldritch dice would drop very low to the point were the few dice of extra light damage from my Eldritch blast was competitve.

After a raid and a reaper White Plume I went to a wilderness area to test some more. In the wilderness area the eldritch damage picked up significantly in comparison to the other damage types being caused by the Eldritch burst

My guess is that enemies are now getting to save against Eldritch damage dice like they can with pact dice. And when I play harder content the enemies almost always are making their saves and halving the damage and as a result my DPS (none to great to begin with) took a nose dive.

Is anyone else seeing this?
    Last edited by elvesunited; 02-25-2021 at 10:42 PM.

Did you run a ravenloft belt or LGS weapon for enhanced spell power? That stat was removed with the update so you may have lost a chunk of spell power for your element type.

Community Member

You can test your hypothesis yourself easily.
    Remove any DC gear and compare your damage in LE to your damage in an adventure zone or even heroic quest with your gear on.
    You should be able to go from no-fail in a lower area to always-fail in a higher one on a difficulty that doesn't natively lower your damage.

Another idea is the feat just doesn't work, or the bonus damage from the feat is what's getting a save (it'd still remove a noticeable quarter of your base EB damage)

You can even turn your pact off and use normal EBs to make it easier to read. If your damage IS halved, you'll notice almost immediately.
    Enthusiasm enthusiast enthusiast.

So the heroic eldritch dice/pact dice didn't change.

The old feats were 3d6 and 4d6 standard dice. The new feats are supposed to be 7d6 standard dice and 6d4 pact dice, but we are only getting 6d6 currently and 6d4 pact dice.

So when factoring in the loss of the enhancement spellpower belt and the new feat changes yes it's probably about break even with eldritch blast but with some downside if enemies save more than 20% of the time. Things like energy burst are taking a big hit if you used that.

I hope they fix the feat.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xgya View Post
    You can test your hypothesis yourself easily.
    Remove any DC gear and compare your damage in LE to your damage in an adventure zone or even heroic quest with your gear on.
    You should be able to go from no-fail in a lower area to always-fail in a higher one on a difficulty that doesn't natively lower your damage.

Another idea is the feat just doesn't work, or the bonus damage from the feat is what's getting a save (it'd still remove a noticeable quarter of your base EB damage)

You can even turn your pact off and use normal EBs to make it easier to read. If your damage IS halved, you'll notice almost immediately.
    pretty much what I did. Compared the eldritch portion of the damage to the extra light damage provided by my aura. My DC is mediocre to begin with as I priortized tanking gear and stats in this build.

In Reaper White Plume I was averaging 150% or 300% ( depending if I crit ) with the Eldritch portion of my bursts compared to the light damage.
    In Feywild wilderness I was averaging about 300% or 600% with ( depending if I crit ) the Eldritch portion of my bursts compared to the light damage.

To answer other comments, I do not and never did have an enhancement bonus to spellpower for this build.

Community Member

Hmm, warlock abilities aren't technically spells though, so maybe if you make a swf one you can sustain 100% crit rate permanently.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    Hmm, warlock abilities aren't technically spells though, so maybe if you make a swf one you can sustain 100% crit rate permanently.
    Runearms and Orbs now grant: when you vorpal strike, your next spell automatically crits. This has an internal cooldown of 20 seconds and lasts for 20 seconds.

If I read that right, then if you score a vorpal hit your next spell if cast within the next 20 seconds will be auto-crit and you won't be able to generate another auto-crit during that 20 seconds period.

For a warlock who is constantly spamming magical attacks ( either at a distance or as a tank ) and has probably maxed their spell crits already I see little value.

Quote Originally Posted by elvesunited View Post
    Runearms and Orbs now grant: when you vorpal strike, your next spell automatically crits. This has an internal cooldown of 20 seconds and lasts for 20 seconds.

If I read that right, then if you score a vorpal hit your next spell if cast within the next 20 seconds will be auto-crit and you won't be able to generate another auto-crit during that 20 seconds period.

For a warlock who is constantly spamming magical attacks ( either at a distance or as a tank ) and has probably maxed their spell crits already I see little value.
    Right, especially when crit % is already well over 50% what value would there be in going for a 1 in 20 chance to raise that to 100 with a very sub-optimized attack lol.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)