Default Dear devs how about a character rollback feature

I'm not sure if this has been thought of or if there's a thread about this but I was thinking about a character rollback feature that would allow you to play with friends or family or whoever that are not at the same level as you. One thing that is a downside with playing this game is if I introduce someone to the game or even if one of my kids want to play or my wife and I'm not able to play with them because we're not all at the same level a character rollback feature would allow us to play Quest at the same level at or below our current levels to be more specific I'm not sure if exp would break the game or not I would imagine it wouldn't be such a big deal it would encourage a lot more group play in my opinion.
    Last edited by axebender; 11-12-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by axebender View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been thought of or if there's a thread about this but I was thinking about a character rollback feature that would allow you to play with friends or family or whoever that are not at the same level as you. One thing that is a downside with playing this game is if I introduce someone to the game or even if one of my kids want to play or my wife and I'm not able to play with them because we're not all at the same level a character rollback feature would allow us to play Quest at the same level at or below our current levels to be more specific I'm not sure if exp would break the game or not I would imagine it wouldn't be such a big deal it would encourage a lot more group play in my opinion.
    agree with you here. it's especially important now that we have the TR system grind. you can easily find yourself way out of sync with friends. only a month ago i had 2 friends i played with almost every night. now i can't.

seems like the easy thing to do would simply be to grant you a temporary negative level debuff (undispellable). the group leader could set a "max level" for the group, and then would give everyone above that level down to that level with negative level debuffs, that way they could toggle this mode. You'd have to add in a check on xp and slayer to take into account the negative level debuff for the purpose of awarding those. if that doesn't do enough, you could add some other debuff in addition to it.

the group leader could set this mode before you join (which gives you the debuff immediately upon joining) or after the group is already created.
    upon leaving the group, the system checks to see if you have this unique negative level debuff, and if so, dispels it.

to make it simpler, you could make this check as players enter any dungeon or slayer instance and apply the debuff at that time, and dispel in safe areas.

thoughts?
    Last edited by merlinfire1; 11-12-2020 at 01:26 PM.

Community Member

Thumbs up Signed

Quote Originally Posted by merlinfire1 View Post
    agree with you here. it's especially important now that we have the TR system grind. you can easily find yourself way out of sync with friends. only a month ago i had 2 friends i played with almost every night. now i can't.

the group leader could set this mode before you join (which gives you the debuff immediately upon joining) or after the group is already created.
    upon leaving the group, the system checks to see if you have this unique negative level debuff, and if so, dispels it.

to make it simpler, you could make this check as players enter any dungeon or slayer instance and apply the debuff at that time, and dispel in safe areas.

thoughts?
    Your description, hearkens back to an extremely popular feature that was added to another aging Vintage MMO in 2008.

I know I've had or heard near daily conversations of "What level range. Oh. I can't." and just yesterday heard several people talking about how they used to play as a static group with friends, until abruptly someone got out of sync, and it all fell apart.

Would SOMETHING like this be wonderful and worthwhile in my opinion? YES. Would it be tricky? Almost definitely.

seems like the easy thing to do would simply be to grant you a temporary negative level debuff (undispellable). the group leader could set a "max level" for the group, and then would give everyone above that level down to that level with negative level debuffs, that way they could toggle this mode. You'd have to add in a check on xp and slayer to take into account the negative level debuff for the purpose of awarding those. if that doesn't do enough, you could add some other debuff in addition to it.

thoughts?
    i really like this idea, expanding on this you could make it so you have to switch out your gear to make it fair. to facilitate this being easier on the players there could be an implementation of expanding weapon sets system we already have. instead of creating weapon sets we could have the ability to create gear sets..so if we enter a level 10 quest for example we already have our level 10 gear set to a hot key and bam ready to go..idk maybe im thinking too boldly
    Last edited by axebender; 11-12-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by axebender View Post
    i really like this idea, expanding on this you could make it so you have to switch out your gear to make it fair. to facilitate this being easier on the players there could be an implementation of expanding weapon sets system we already have. instead of creating weapon sets we could have the ability to create gear sets..so if we enter a level 10 quest for example we already have our level 10 gear set to a hot key and bam ready to go..idk maybe im thinking too boldly
    i feel like the gear question makes it a lot more complicated. i think the key here is you're not going to have a perfect way of smoothing the player power during a transition like that. i think you have to pick a point and call it good enough. i agree that the negative levels is probably not enough however.

i feel like the gear question makes it a lot more complicated. i think the key here is you're not going to have a perfect way of smoothing the player power during a transition like that. i think you have to pick a point and call it good enough. i agree that the negative levels is probably not enough however.
    unless they have the ability to lower he abilities on gear. If this was possible where you can wear level 30 gear but it only have the level limitations of the quest then that would be solve the issue. Another issue i see is enhancements so now you can easily see how this snowballs into disaser but i don't know how the particulars are coded and if is an easy implement or not..either way i still want it

You can make characters at 1, 4, 7, and 15 already, or ETR a 30 down to 20.
    Mains - Messam, Indalecio, Mozenrath, Quackerjack.