DDOcast Host
    Licensed House Cannith Refuse Disposal Unit Technician

Default DDOCast 614 - Building a Tank pt 2

Our discussion about building a tank continues this week with our guest Benton!

Have thoughts on this show, ideas for round table topics, questions you’d like us to answer, or topics you’d like to see us debate? Leave us a comment, send us an email (ddocast@gmail.com) or give us a tweet (@ddocast)!

Check out www.ddocast.com for mp3 audio, our show calendar, archives, and more!

Want to support the show? You can feed the kobolds (give money) on our Patreon page! We use these gifts to support the show and give out prizes.

Game & Community News - 1:37
    Lightning Post - 13:15
    Building a Tank pt 2 - 21:28

DDO Chronicle 398
    DDO Chronicle 399
    DDO Payment Changes

Check out our website! www.ddocast.com
    Follow us on Twitter! https://twitter.com/ddocast
    Support us on patreon! www.patreon.com/DDOCast
    Watch us live! www.twitch.tv/ddocast
    Check out our videos! https://www.youtube.com/ddocast
    Last edited by pjstechie; 10-05-2020 at 08:19 PM.
    Shamgar ~ Pjstechie ~ Melchizedek ~ Habakkuk ~ Josheb ~ Magoi ~ Kinnor ~ Eshek ~ Zakchaios ~ Jephthah ~ Bartimaios ~ Ehudh ~ Bezaleluri ~ Nebuchad ~ Lava Divers (Khyber) ~ Epic Education ~ Building Blocks ~ DDOCast ~ contact me

For the wands idea, the best thing I can come up with is one that recharges & has the property that makes it count as a stave (thus making caster level = character level & save DCs 10+int modifier+spell level), basically arcanotechnician's arcane empowerment ability. Still, with the forthcoming augment update it's possible there could be augments to throw into a recharging wand or other item with charges that increase the DC, caster level & enhanced wand & scroll mastery effects too. How useful they'd be at that point is still debateable, though with UMD for non casters it could add another option I guess.

One additional mitigation method you didn't mention is deflect arrows - up to once every 2 seconds (using shield with vanguard tree or 2wf through tempest, EK cores give it too, the basic is once every 6 & generally that's all monks are stuck with) it automatically negates, and this is the important part "one projectile that would have struck" - meaning that it's deflection effect is applied after that ranged attack has already gotten past all the other layers of protection you possess. Those projectiles can be anything from a single arrow to a giant-thrown boulder & as well as not taking the damage, you won't get any nasty effects they're carrying like crippling, tendon slice, knockdowns etc. that can reduce mobility & make you vulnerable to subsequent attacks.

Another useful thing can be improved shield bash. While it's description is that it lets you make offensive shield bashes without losing defensive bonuses, there's a handy side-effect that any passive shield bashes you make as part of an attack chain are counted as though you're actively blocking & you'll get all the benefits of it; extra DR & AC, immunity to certain special attacks, orb bonuses to saves & energy resistances (upgraded PDK shield from haunted halls has this & it's particularly noticeable since you'll get the blue shield effect flashing on & off) & shield deflection. Sure it only lasts a moment in every attack chain, but it makes a difference.

The problem with flat X/whatever DR is that while it's nigh-worthless at the endgame, where there's a valid argument for % based instead, it can make a difference for the many more players at lower levels & anything less than EE/LE or reaper difficulties... eg at the bottom end that 5/- from the ML4 mimic cloak or 2nd warpriest/soul core enhancement is great to make many attacks almost ignorable early on & the 30/whatever from shadow dragon plate or bloodrage chrism is still very noticeable on LH & LN when you just want to have a fairly chilled run.

I think there's one way to get the energy shield effects active together & thats if you have one element via sentient weapon effect & the other via energy sheath or the fireshield spell, as I've got the electrical set on my barbearian & can still cast fireshield & have it work too - not 100% certain & need to test it though.
    Last edited by FuzzyDuck81; 10-08-2020 at 04:02 PM.
    I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was, now what's it is weird and scary to me.

Good series. Thanks!
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

Community Member

Interesting talk about tanking. Tanks a lot

I didnt hear you guys talk about the Shield Multiplier mechanic at all.