Thread: sound problem

Community Member

Default sound problem

hi everyone,
    i returned to game 1 week ago with 2 friends
    and we have the same sound problem
    all the audio ,from the music on character selection to the dm inside the quest, its like stuttering or skipping and restarting continuously
    NB: if i insert or remove a usb key i can cause this simpton to appear constantly
    this appear to be the same on my pc ( windows 10 pro i5 7600k 16gb ram ) and on both my friend ( windows 8 old intel cpu and windows 10 amd ryzen )
    this is it for everyone ?
    i have tried 32 /64 bit client
    other audio device / external usb card
    resintalling s.o.( on a new drive just for test)
    nothing seems to solve the problem
    for what i see it a "feature" of the client ....
    its very annoying ... not game breaking but not so immersive :P
    let me know
    thx

Quote Originally Posted by sentenza78 View Post
    hi everyone,
    i returned to game 1 week ago with 2 friends
    and we have the same sound problem
    Which client? The 64 or 32 bit one? Rename your userpreferences.ini file and start the game?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    Which client? The 64 or 32 bit one? Rename your userpreferences.ini file and start the game?
    tried both

deleted userpreference and tried , the problem persist

if u try putting an usbkey while playing it dosent stop all the audio for you?

Quote Originally Posted by sentenza78 View Post
    all the audio ,from the music on character selection to the dm inside the quest, its like stuttering or skipping and restarting continuously
    I have this problem also, I believe it started with the Thursday patch.
    I open DDO and at the select character screen the music that normally plays restarts from the start every second
    if I select a character is plays for 2 seconds and then gets on with the loading process that's the longest any sound plays for

Inside the game the environmental music or sound effects from actions re-trigger every second, they play the 1st second of sound and then it restarts
    I also get a video "hitch" along with this as my character briefly stops while running, spinning around, fighting or feather falling

This is happening with both the 32bit and the 64 bit client.
    No hardware changes made to my PC, no "active" changes made to my PC or setup, i.e. only windows or apps automatic updates
    deleted userprefs.ini and restarted.

every second sounds restart and video hitching. I can't think it's anything I have changed.

Community Member

Thumbs up great

finally, im not crazy :P
    i tried everything but seems a game client problem
    hope they fix it soon because is very annoying

Community Member

Default update

i reported a bug 15 days ago...
    no response at all
    really?!?
    great support

Has there been a resolve for this. I am experiencing the same problem on a brand new computer.
    Tamehammer~Sphere~Tameblade~Ridge~Tamekunedo~Noggle Bunks~Tamehog

Are there any unknown items in the device manager?

I have found the solution to my issue with the sound.
    McAfee and windows firewall for me was the problem.
    I uninstalled McAfee antivirus and installed a different antivirus and all works with no issues.

UPDATE 12/10/20

So it came back after about a few days. I reinstalled everything again.

I was looking to reinstall a new sound driver and was in device manager, noticed it was refreshing every 2 seconds.

Googled fix for it and it said "it is refreshing every couple seconds due to something is trying to connect or install, like USB or wireless device."

For me it was trying to install my wireless printer, I deleted the printer and all is good.

Hope this helps

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlock View Post
    UPDATE 12/10/20

So it came back after about a few days. I reinstalled everything again.

I was looking to reinstall a new sound driver and was in device manager, noticed it was refreshing every 2 seconds.

Googled fix for it and it said "it is refreshing every couple seconds due to something is trying to connect or install, like USB or wireless device."

For me it was trying to install my wireless printer, I deleted the printer and all is good.

Hope this helps

I know this thread is a bit old, but I just reinstalled DDO and have been suffering from the same problem. I went into device manager and sure enough every time it refreshes DDO hesitates just like you. My question is how did you determine what device was causing the problem? I don't ever see any indication as to exactly what device is being queried. I have both the device manager and the task manager open, but as of yet haven't had indication as to what's causing the refresh. But it's making the game very difficult to play when it starts doing it every 2 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by AlarianDarkwind View Post
    I know this thread is a bit old, but I just reinstalled DDO and have been suffering from the same problem. I went into device manager and sure enough every time it refreshes DDO hesitates just like you. My question is how did you determine what device was causing the problem? I don't ever see any indication as to exactly what device is being queried. I have both the device manager and the task manager open, but as of yet haven't had indication as to what's causing the refresh. But it's making the game very difficult to play when it starts doing it every 2 seconds.
    I found this, don't know if it still works: https://superuser.com/questions/5121...s-wrong/512189

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mindos View Post
    I found this, don't know if it still works: https://superuser.com/questions/5121...s-wrong/512189
    Thanks for the reply. I gave it a try and it does show that it's still updating like the task manager does and it gives different information, but it unfortunitly doesn't show what's causing it to initially update. I did notice last night that I turned on mute and played for another hour+ (yes it was extremely annoying but I was about 20 minutes in on a 2 hour long quest so I didn't want to quit) and after about 45 minutes it suddenly stopped doing it. No idea why, it just suddenly stopped for the rest of the night.

Any other suggestions/ideas appreciated.

Alarian

Quote Originally Posted by AlarianDarkwind View Post
    I went into device manager and sure enough every time it refreshes DDO hesitates just like you. My question is how did you determine what device was causing the problem? I don't ever see any indication as to exactly what device is being queried. I have both the device manager and the task manager open, but as of yet haven't had indication as to what's causing the refresh.
    I have been having a similar problem for a while, and also do not know how to find out which device is causing the problem. For me the problem isn't every 2 seconds, but is very random. It may go a minute or more and then refresh 3 times in 5 seconds, go 20 seconds then refresh once -- no predictable pattern. And it only seems to affect the music track, which restarts every time there's a refresh on device manager.

It is annoying and only DDO seems to be affected, as far as I can tell. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Promethia View Post
    I have been having a similar problem for a while, and also do not know how to find out which device is causing the problem. For me the problem isn't every 2 seconds, but is very random. It may go a minute or more and then refresh 3 times in 5 seconds, go 20 seconds then refresh once -- no predictable pattern. And it only seems to affect the music track, which restarts every time there's a refresh on device manager.

It is annoying and only DDO seems to be affected, as far as I can tell. Does anyone have any advice on this?
    I was able to find a workaround for the problem I was having. For me, the problems were all related to a software device, "Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator". If anyone can enlighten me on what this device does, please feel free. When I googled it, I read (rather amusingly) that "It does exactly what its name says it does". Gee, thanks for that vacuous explanation. Ok, so apparently Microsoft makes it. And it lists out device associations I take it? No, that's not vague at all...

Anyway, my own independent investigation showed that (for me) this device was listing out a variety of devices on my household network, including not only printers but also smart TVs, cable TV boxes, etc. Especially the smart TVs would often randomly disappear or re-appear on the list or appear multiple times. Importantly, whenever something changed in the Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator, the sound on DDO would hiccup and restart.

I was able to fix the problem by disabling the Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator. Go into Device Manage, make sure (under the View menu) that you have "Devices by Type" checked, and look for it under "Software devices". To disable it, right click on it, and you will get an option to disable the device.

Disabling it did have some negative affects on my ability to connect to my wi-fi connected printer/scanner, but I could not find a better workaround. Disabling those individual devices (e.g. for the smart TVs or whatever) within the Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator didn't seem to fix it. To even see what devices are connected to the Microsoft Device Association Root Enumerator, go to view menu, select "Devices by connection" and also "Show hidden devices".

Hope that helps someone out there. Since disabling that device, I've had no more sound issues with DDO at all. Something dysfuctional was going on.
    Last edited by Promethia; 10-20-2021 at 02:27 AM.

Have the same issue on 2 seperate computers. Msi titan x. And an alinware r11

What I can determine is the sound drops when the devise manager cycles. Not sure why.

Sure hop they fix this

I went to http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html and downloaded the utility.
    I looked at the list of devices, one of them showed up as pink.
    I went into device manager and disabled that device (in my case it was "Intel Wireless Bluetooth")

Everything seems to be OK now