Community Member

Default A word on caster levels and max caster levels for druid casters

All druid spells have a max caster level less than or equal to 20. This means by level 20 you will have maxed them out. Actually i am unsure about enveloping swarm and creeping doom... And fire seeds is 21. Oh well my point is still valid.

If we are in seasons herald we can get another 3 max caster levels for the season, but also get 3 caster levels. So fire storm forexample will now be max caster level 23 and caster level 23. If we are in elemental form we get another +3 max caster level and caster level to fire or cold spells.

Dragonborn is as far as i know the only enhancement that can give +2 max caster levels and only +1 caster level to elemental spells.

With master of the wilds – the epic feat – we can get +10 max caster level to the sla spells. For now lets forget about seasons herald and elemental forms as these gives both caster level and max caster level. This gets produce flame to 25, creeping cold to 28, call lightning to 25, salt ray to 20 and finally word of balance to 30. From Primal avatar we can get +5 caster levels for druid spells. This gets us to 25. but as you can see we are still under creeping cold and word of balance. In fact we need 3 for creeping cold and 5 for word of balance. If dragonborn we need 6 for creeping cold.

Also note from what i can gather the max caster level for creeping cold is 28+2 dragonborn +3 [Color] Dragon Spell Knowledge (Draconic)+ 3 Master of [Spell School] (Magister)+ 3 season + 3 water elemental = 42. But note if in magister you loose 5 caster levels on epic destiny so you need somehow to increase caster level by 9. If we are in primal avatar we loose 3 max caster levels and get 39 but gain 5 caster levels and gets us to 35 caster level.

The only way i can see how to fully use these extra max caster levels are +3 evocation caster levels from the Greater Might of the Abishai set from chronoscope and Legendary Conduit of the Soul totalling the +5 extra caster levels for word of balance. I forgot about pendant if azure sea/sky which gives +1 caster level for cold/fire spells and reflection of wave for +5 caster levels for cold spells.

If in summer season from seasons herald this would make the effective caster level of word of balance 33. This would net the base damage of word of balance to 32/2*(25/2)=200 for creatures one step away and double that for creatures two steps away from true neutral. I think it is possible to get 600 force spell power and plus 300 for metamagics. So 200*10=2000 and if we crit that’s double. And if it is two steps away and we double crit we get 4 times 2000=8000.

So let’s look at some of the epic spells:

Tsunami is scaled of character level and so does not improve with cold or evocation max caster level. The same goes for Burst of glacial wrath which just does a flat 30d6 regardless of caster level. Please note that this is based on the description from the wiki and ingame spell description but not on testing.

My point on all this is be aware of what the spell or sla scales of. Caster level or character level if it even scales at all.

Also the caster level written in the combat log is not correct. I seem to remember having a caster level of 42 on creeping cold which was not possible on that build. I am unsure if it simply ignores max caster level or just altogether is messed up even more.

Community Member

Default Caster Levels

Firstly, thank you for your post. I like Druid Casters even if they are not considered OP or ideal for end game. I am currently trying to come up with a HC Druid Caster build in Wolf form (thinking 18 Druid 1 Fighter 1 FvS) and your post is really helpful for planning optimum casting efficiency.

Creeping Cold> Master of the Wilds giving +10 Max Caster Level raises Creeping Cold Max Caster level to 28 (18+10). However, as CC damage is based upon xd4 + y per 3 levels of caster, the effective max level is really 27.

Gilded Gloves of Sanctity also provide +2 caster levels for divine spells I-IX.

Also note from what i can gather the max caster level for creeping cold is 28+2 dragonborn +3 [Color] Dragon Spell Knowledge (Draconic)+ 3 Master of [Spell School] (Magister)+ 3 season + 3 water elemental = 42. But note if in magister you loose 5 caster levels on epic destiny so you need somehow to increase caster level by 9. If we are in primal avatar we loose 3 max caster levels and get 39 but gain 5 caster levels and gets us to 35 caster level.

I have not got this, but the amazing Reflection of Wave Quarterstaff would give you, in Water Elemental form, an extra 5 caster levels plus an exceptional +20% spell critical chance among other things.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Gnominal_Aphasia; 12-29-2020 at 02:31 PM.

Community Member

Well after writing that post i am unsure if epic levels gives you caster levels. if they you are almost certainly at max caster level always. but for now lets assume it does not.

Creeping cold. You are right it is effective at caster level 27. But if in winter season you get another 3.

Gilded gloves of sanctity: The problem with those is that last time i did a test not all druid spells are considered divine. so only some spells get the +2 caster levels. Healing spells mostly if i recall.

They nerfed reflection of wave. It does not give 20% crit chance anymore but 5% crit multiplier for cold. I did a test with tsunami and the +5 caster levels from the staff have no effect. I am unsure about creeping cold. But creeping cold is max caster level 28. If you are in primal avatar you get +5 from this. this gets you to 25. so you only really need 3 more. If you are in an off destiny i can see where the staff come in handy.

I have heard somebody say that the best druid caster is in wolf form, but i am unsure why. You loose 3 caster levels of fire or cold and the spells body of the sun forexample....

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ultinoob View Post
    Well after writing that post i am unsure if epic levels gives you caster levels. if they you are almost certainly at max caster level always. but for now lets assume it does not.
    I don't think it does, no.

Gilded gloves of sanctity: The problem with those is that last time i did a test not all druid spells are considered divine. so only some spells get the +2 caster levels. Healing spells mostly if i recall.
    That is a very good point... (Greater) Creeping Cold being available to Clerics and Warlocks doesn't really help to explain, but I think I would guess that the cold spells could well be considered Arcane.

They nerfed reflection of wave. It does not give 20% crit chance anymore but 5% crit multiplier for cold. I did a test with tsunami and the +5 caster levels from the staff have no effect. I am unsure about creeping cold. But creeping cold is max caster level 28. If you are in primal avatar you get +5 from this. this gets you to 25. so you only really need 3 more. If you are in an off destiny i can see where the staff come in handy.
    Good to know ty.

I have heard somebody say that the best druid caster is in wolf form, but i am unsure why. You loose 3 caster levels of fire or cold and the spells body of the sun forexample....
    The 5th Core from Nature's Warrior (Howl of Winter) makes Howl of Terror proc a +25% spell crit chance to cold spells and an additional +50% spell crit damage (also +10% doublestrike).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gnominal_Aphasia View Post
    The 5th Core from Nature's Warrior (Howl of Winter) makes Howl of Terror proc a +25% spell crit chance to cold spells and an additional +50% spell crit damage (also +10% doublestrike).
    From what i can gather this can be kept up 1/3 of the time and you gain access to cold breath, but you spend atleast 30 ap in NW, gaining nothing really but 30 cold spell power besides howl of winter, plus your spells get extra cooldown. Haven't done the numbers but the extra 30 cold spell power you can get just by spending 30 ap in seasons herald... And you loose mantle of the icy soul... How do you deal with immune mobs then? shift to water elemental?

Also the cold spells you have are: cold breath, BoGW, Tsunami, creeping cold and greater creeping cold... Anything else?

Do you have a build i can see?

Community Member

Default First Lifer (HC) Melee Wolf

Hey,

So this is WIP and I am testing (slowly) and am currently level 10 on Sarlona. This build's objective is to compliment the wolf melee aspect (which is primarily single target) with effective cc from Falconry.

A few notes:
    - I was deliberating to spend 6 AP into Kensai and taking the Attack Speed Action Boost plus one extra Action Boosts which would provide this build with 7+7 melee action boosts but finally I have been seduced by the faster CD tier 5 cleave melee attack in Nature's Warrior (Alpha Strike) so I spent an extra 6 points into this tree.
    - I chose Fighter 1 at level for two handed weapon availability.
    - I spent some points into UMD until level 9 (inclusive) so that I could efficiently use scrolls of Shield for Reaper mode (I don't always play r1, often solo HE, but DDO is all about grouping). Otherwise main skills are Heal and Spellpower with splashes in Intimidate and Spot.
    - FvS at level 20 for (finally!) castable Nightshield while in Winter Wolf form and access to Divine Might.
    - I recently farmed a set of Heroic Hruit's gear which will be really nice for level 15 onwards. Also trying to farm a Ring of Power from Slavers Part 3 but rng ain't smiling on me. Gear wise, this will be my focus: WIS, melee alacrity and cold enhancements. I will also prioritise getting (or crafting) an Evocation item (+Evo and +Insightful Evo, say) to help me land spells such as [Greater] Creeping Cold and Salt Spray (for the stun).
    - FEATS... I was thinking originally of taking Weapon Focus Slashing at level 1, Spell Focus Transmutation at level 3 (thinking ahead for Mass Frog!) and Power Critical at level 6 to combine with planned use of Falchions. But I was dismayed by the displayed non-compatibility from Power Critical and the Falconry Confirm Critical as shown on my Character Sheet so went to plan B and Dodge/Mobility/Spring Attack for extra survivability and an extra AoE attack. I chose Precision at level 1 for the extra static +25% Fortification Bypass which will work nicely with the proc'ed +50% for 10 secs from the bird's attacks (tier 4 Falconry Expose Weakness).

I think the one of the beauties of this build will be to cast Sleet Storm, Ice storm and Earthquake, and with the Nature's Warrior's tier 4 ability "Four Legs Good" plus FoM I am hoping to be able to cc larger groups of mobs fairly successfully. I am also hoping that the NW and Falconry Tree extra Helpless Damage stack but I don't know for sure yet.

Character name: First Lifer Melee Wolf
    Classes: 18 Druid, 10 Epic, 1 Favored Soul, 1 Fighter
    Race: Aasimar · · · · · · ·Alignment: Neutral

· · ·Start Tome Final
    Str:· · ·8· · 0 · · 8 · · ·HP:· · · · 459 · · ·AC:· · 15
    Dex:· · 14· · 0 · ·14 · · ·PRR: · · · ·13
    Con:· · 16· · 0 · ·16 · · ·MRR: · · · · 3 · · ·+Healing Amp:· · 35
    Int:· · 14· · 0 · ·14 · · ·Dodge: · ·7/25 · · ·-Healing Amp:· · ·0
    Wis:· · 18· · 0 · ·29 · · ·Fort:· · · ·0% · · ·Repair Amp:· · · ·0
    Cha:· · ·8· · 0 · · 8 · · ·SR:· · · · · 0 · · ·BAB: · · · · · · 14
    DR:
    Immunities: Poison, Spawn effects of Undead, Knockdown

Class and Feat Selection
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Level Class · · · · · ·Feats
    1 · · Fighter(1)· · · ·Standard: Precision
    · · · · · · · · · · · ·Aasimar Bond: Aasimar: Fallen Bond
    · · · · · · · · · · · ·Fighter Bonus: Dodge
    2 · · Druid(1)· · · · ·
    3 · · Druid(2)· · · · ·Standard: Mobility
    · · · · · · · · · · · ·Druid Wild Shape: Wild Shape: Wolf
    4 · · Druid(3)· · · · ·Wisdom: +1 Level up
    5 · · Druid(4)· · · · ·
    6 · · Druid(5)· · · · ·Standard: Spring Attack
    · · · · · · · · · · · ·Druid Wild Shape: Wild Shape: Bear
    7 · · Druid(6)· · · · ·
    8 · · Druid(7)· · · · ·Wisdom: +1 Level up
    9 · · Druid(8)· · · · ·Standard: Natural Fighting
    · · · · · · · · · · · ·Druid Wild Shape: Wild Shape: Winter Wolf
    10· · Druid(9)· · · · ·
    11· · Druid(10) · · · ·
    12· · Druid(11) · · · ·Standard: Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
    · · · · · · · · · · · ·Druid Wild Shape: Wild Shape: Dire Bear
    · · · · · · · · · · · ·Wisdom: +1 Level up
    13· · Druid(12) · · · ·
    14· · Druid(13) · · · ·Druid Wild Shape: Wild Shape: Water Elemental
    15· · Druid(14) · · · ·Standard: Natural Fighting
    16· · Druid(15) · · · ·Wisdom: +1 Level up
    17· · Druid(16) · · · ·
    18· · Druid(17) · · · ·Standard: Natural Fighting
    · · · · · · · · · · · ·Druid Wild Shape: Wild Shape: Fire Elemental
    19· · Druid(18) · · · ·
    20· · Favored Soul(1) ·Follower of Faith: Follower of the Sovereign Host
    21· · Epic(1) · · · · ·Epic Feat: Overwhelming Critical
    22· · Epic(2) · · · · ·
    23· · Epic(3) · · · · ·
    24· · Epic(4) · · · · ·Epic Feat: Burst of Glacial Wrath
    25· · Epic(5) · · · · ·
    26· · Epic(6) · · · · ·Epic Destiny Feat: Perfect Two Weapon Fighting
    27· · Epic(7) · · · · ·Epic Feat: Epic Reflexes
    28· · Epic(8) · · · · ·Epic Destiny Feat: Mass Frog
    29· · Epic(9) · · · · ·Epic Destiny Feat: Fount of Life
    30· · Epic(10)· · · · ·Epic Feat: Epic Damage Reduction
    · · · · · · · · · · · ·Legendary: Scion of Arborea

Granted Feats
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Evasion

Enhancements: 80 APs
    Aasimar - Points spent: 7
    1 Core ·(1) Stronger Bonds I
    2 Core ·(2) Ability I: +1 Wisdom
    3 Core ·(1) Stronger Bonds II
    4 Core ·(2) Ability II: +1 Wisdom
    5 Core ·(1) Stronger Bonds III
    Nature's Warrior - Points spent: 44
    1 Core ·(1) Natural Adept
    2 Tier1 (1) Take Down
    3 Tier1 (1) Take Down
    4 Tier1 (1) Take Down
    5 Tier1 (1) Bestial Nature
    6 Core ·(1) Nature's Senses
    7 Tier2 (1) Flight
    8 Tier2 (1) Flight
    9 Tier2 (1) Flight
    10 Tier2 (2) Ghost Wolf
    11 Core ·(1) Nature's Bounty
    12 Tier3 (1) Ghost Wolf Pack
    13 Tier3 (1) Fight
    14 Tier3 (2) Ability I: +1 Wisdom
    15 Tier2 (1) Action Boost: Doublestrike
    16 Tier2 (1) Action Boost: Doublestrike
    17 Tier2 (1) Action Boost: Doublestrike
    18 Tier1 (1) Bestial Nature
    19 Core ·(1) A True Hunter
    20 Tier3 (1) Fight
    21 Tier3 (1) Fight
    22 Tier4 (1) Fatal Harrier
    23 Tier4 (1) Fatal Harrier
    24 Tier4 (1) Fatal Harrier
    25 Tier4 (1) Four Legs Good
    26 Tier3 (1) Prey on the Weak
    27 Tier3 (1) Prey on the Weak
    28 Tier3 (1) Essence of the Shrike
    29 Tier3 (1) Essence of the Shrike
    30 Tier4 (1) Great White Wolf
    31 Tier4 (1) Great White Wolf
    32 Tier4 (1) Great White Wolf
    33 Tier5 (1) Alpha Strike
    34 Tier5 (1) Alpha Strike
    35 Tier5 (1) Alpha Strike
    36 Tier5 (2) Swift Hunter
    37 Tier5 (1) Throat Rip
    38 Tier5 (2) Jaws of Ice
    39 Tier5 (1) Go for the Kill
    40 Core ·(1) Howl of Winter
    Falconry - Points spent: 25
    1 Core ·(1) Summon Falcon: Summon Raven
    2 Tier1 (1) Practiced Accuracy
    3 Tier1 (1) Practiced Accuracy
    4 Tier1 (1) Out in Nature
    5 Tier1 (1) Out in Nature
    6 Tier1 (1) Out in Nature
    7 Core ·(2) Ability I: Wisdom
    8 Tier2 (2) Killer Instinct I
    9 Tier2 (1) Diving Attack: Diving Strike
    10 Core ·(1) Well Rounded I
    11 Tier3 (2) Killer Instinct II
    12 Tier3 (1) Strike for the Eyes: Strike for the Eyes
    13 Tier2 (1) Watch the Center
    14 Tier2 (1) Watch the Center
    15 Tier2 (1) Watch the Center
    16 Tier3 (2) Conditioning
    17 Tier4 (1) Coordinated Strikes: Shoot and Destroy
    18 Tier4 (1) No Mercy
    19 Tier4 (1) No Mercy
    20 Tier4 (1) No Mercy
    21 Tier4 (1) Expose Weakness
    War Soul - Points spent: 4
    1 Core ·(1) Smite Foe: Smite Foe (Melee)
    2 Tier1 (1) Divine Might: Divine Will
    3 Tier1 (1) Divine Might: Divine Will
    4 Tier1 (1) Divine Might: Divine Will

Let me know what you think. I am sure there are things I haven't thought about, even though I have spent time thinking (as best I can) but I am not very experienced in epics.

Thanks!

EDIT... for ED I am thinking Primal Avatar for the MP, the Evocation and Transmutation DCs, and all the other nice stuff.

EDIT2... am also thinking of substituting Quicken for one of the FEATS but not sure which to drop.
    Last edited by Gnominal_Aphasia; 12-31-2020 at 06:30 PM.

Community Member

Thank you for that. Not sure i will ever try it but it is interesting.

Just a friendly advice.
    Burst of glacial wrath is fort save. Combine that with the reflex save from earthquake you get two "mass hold". might be worth it. might not. you decide.

EDIT: Oh i see you allready took it.

Community Member

Hey,

So this is WIP and I am testing (slowly) and am currently level 10 on Sarlona. This build's objective is to compliment the wolf melee aspect (which is primarily single target) with effective cc from Falconry.
    Very cool build thanks for sharing it, i would be leaning to take a Wizard level early for shield spell, Quicken and EK Cleave replaceing FVS ( is it a dps loss with Falconry?).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by janave View Post
    Very cool build thanks for sharing it, i would be leaning to take a Wizard level early for shield spell, Quicken and EK Cleave replaceing FVS ( is it a dps loss with Falconry?).
    Hi,
    The lack of Shield/Nightshield is frustrating at start... I do have a 3 charge clickie and do have wands of shield but again a little clonky to leave Wolf form and either use clickie or hope that UMD lands Shield wand (at lvl 11 i still have no fail safe UMD score to use Shield Wand). I guess I could have gone with FvS at level 1 and taken greatsword of falchion as a feat that I could swap out when taking the 1 level of fighter, but hey.

Falconry on paper isn't fabulous dps (and I only spend one AP in each of the dives) but on a wisdom-based build it works a lot as an efficient cc which means that the targets are helpless (so this increases my dps) and they are not hitting me back There is also added utility of proc'ing +50% fortification bypass and extra damage against helpless targets which I am hoping will help to make this build shine.
    I joined a pug yesterday and did Slavers chain on r1 and the dive attack worked really well... it did miss a few times but so did my wolf trip (Take Down).

I poured a lot of thought into this build (and other similar ones like melee-caster wolf and quarterstaff wolf with 2-5 levels of rogue) and did think about multiclassing in either Wizard or Alchemist for the extra elemental/poison damage but planning ED and wanting good cc (Mass Frog, Burst of Glacial Wrath, etc) this Wisdom-based build seemed to me the best way forward. Wolf gets a decent AoE melee attack at tier 5 too. Of course proc'ing extra damage is always good and I think I will work on a Druid-Rogue version with bluffs and extra Sneak Attack damage.

It would be good to see your build posted with some feedback on how it performs. Have fun!

Community Member

Hi,

Hey.

It would be good to see your build posted with some feedback on how it performs. Have fun!
    I do not have a fully composed build yet.

Only started to play a Wolf recently, this is my first melee TR in years and first Druid since the enhancement changes, there is a lot for me to feel out and try. So far I am playing on STR and Rage, but leveling up WIS for later levels.

Previously i had a hard time on melee after level 14-15, my hope is that by then I can spend enough points in Falconry to make Wisdom DC on spells just enough to help in the later levels. There are a few occasions a little extra ranged dmg would help. I would not mind a few more feats to play with, but picked up Quicken from a 1st Wizard level that helps a little .

Community Member

CL and MCL are quite a central point in epic caster druid building.
    As I understand it when comparing the Master of the Wilds feat :

Produce Flame : CL15 -> CL25 (1CL = 1d2+2)
    Creeping Cold : CL18 -> CL28 (3CL = 1d4+2)
    Call Lightning : CL15 -> CL25 (1CL = 1d5+5)
    Salt Ray : CL10 -> CL20 (2CL = 1d6)
    Word of Balance : CL20 -> CL30 (2CL = 1d8+8)

Since a pure druid will have CL20 (let's ignore elemental states and Ap spend that up CL and MCL together) and races / loot at this stage, we can deduce that a primal ED will bring your pure druid to CL25 whilst an 'off-destiny' caster druid will have only CL20.
    This means that with the Master feat but without loot/race modifiers, we will be losing a potential maximum of 3CL from Creeping Cold and CL5 from WoB if in primal ED; if in non-primal ED we lose CL5 from Produce Flame, CL8 from Creeping Cold, CL5 from Call Lightning and CL10 from WoB.
    I ask the experts : Is this a correct analysis?!

If this is correct, it highlights a main problem - Druid Caster Epic Destiny choice - that compounds the fact the class has only one caster tree (bar a dip for heavy armor in the bear tree does anyone spend in other druid trees?!).
    The level cap raise and susequent Destiny re-work should allow us to mix and match better and thus might alleviate this problem if we can use the CLs from Primal destinies with dps (sorc), DCs (magister) or utility (EA) that we currently have to choose from...fingers crossed!

Community Member

I am no expert but i am pretty sure that is how it works.

You can get caster levels from divine augmentation, but i am not sure it works on all druid spells. You can also get +3 caster levels from greater might of the abishay to evocation and from legendary echo of wave +5 to cold and pendant of azure sea/sky +1 to cold/fire and from alchemical crafting i think but not quite sure about that.

So maybe its possible to max out your caster levels even in an off destiny.

But yeah the caster druid get left behind again and again. They just made 3 caster armors in feywild. one cloth, one light armor and one medium but made of gold so druids can't use it.

I too hope that the epic destiny update will be kinder to druids. as you said fingers crossed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ned_ellis View Post
    snip
    This means that with the Master feat but without loot/race modifiers, we will be losing a potential maximum of 3CL from Creeping Cold and CL5 from WoB if in primal ED; if in non-primal ED we lose CL5 from Produce Flame, CL8 from Creeping Cold, CL5 from Call Lightning and CL10 from WoB.
    I ask the experts : Is this a correct analysis?!

Isnip
    I am no expert but i am pretty sure that is how it works.

You can get caster levels from divine augmentation, but i am not sure it works on all druid spells. You can also get +3 caster levels from greater might of the abishay to evocation and from legendary echo of wave +5 to cold and pendant of azure sea/sky +1 to cold/fire and from alchemical crafting i think but not quite sure about that.

So maybe its possible to max out your caster levels even in an off destiny.

But yeah the caster druid get left behind again and again. They just made 3 caster armors in feywild. one cloth, one light armor and one medium but made of gold so druids can't use it.

I too hope that the epic destiny update will be kinder to druids. as you said fingers crossed.
    Let's see the bolded part :
    If on off-destiny, considering end game loot (not Feywild as I haven't studied the loot there yet - will buy when in store) we need to absorb the missing CL's from my assumption above.
    The Hruit Sharn Set won't let us use the divine augmentation from Conduit of the Soul or Gilded Gloves of Sanctity which would have been 2CL (divine augmentation) but only have 1CL (element augmentation) in fire or cold via the Pendant. That leaves the 5CL from Reflection of Wave (not an easy farm!) for cold spells. Due to the low level of the loot I would ignore the Abishai set.

So, what options do we have?

Option 1 - Keep Sharn set meaning we can only slot Reflection of Wave (5CL Cold) and Pendant (+1CL Cold or Fire) = we lose potenial max of CL5 (or 4 with fire pendant) from Produce Flame, CL3 from Creeping Cold, CL5 from Call Lightning and CL10 from WoB whilst not in Primal ED.

Option 2 - Abandon Sharn set! It would probably have to be replaced with a very specific mix of Feywild, new Cannith raids items and/or LGS stuff. If this allows us to use all abovementioned CL buffs = we lose potential max of CL3 (or 2 with fire pendant) from Produce Flame, CL1 from Creeping Cold, CL3 from Call Lightning and CL8 from WoB.

Tbh, for me (hate crafting and never planning end kit with raid loot as a must-have - gets inserted as I find it) the only option is either going with a primal ED (used to use Primal Avatar but nowadays Shiradi probably better) or ignoring the Master of Wilds feat.

I would also note that fire elementals get doubly screwed (!) and that I agree with you that stacking/functioning Element/Divine Augmentations probably don't wai on all spells. Also WoB I don't believe has the realistic itemisation to overcome the 10CL's even in a Primal ED!

So, whilst awaiting better days, I am currently leveling my caster druid as a DC caster and will probably end up in magister or EA without taking the MAster of Wilds feat...

Community Member

I did a theory crafting of a build using teifling fire to cold spell power. The idea is to use flamecleansed fury set instead and burnscar sash. A drawback of this setup is your call lightning wont get boosted as much.

I am on another comp right now but if I remember correctly this opens up for guilded gloves of sanctity.

Community Member

I did a theory crafting of a build using teifling fire to cold spell power. The idea is to use flamecleansed fury set instead and burnscar sash. A drawback of this setup is your call lightning wont get boosted as much.

I am on another comp right now but if I remember correctly this opens up for guilded gloves of sanctity.
    Flamecleansed has steel armour
    ...or medium; if we consider non-heavy armour it probably opens up some interesting options; not sure if valid for the max CL discussion but still.
    However, yes, flamecleansed has armor+bracers+cloak so can use the gloves for divine augmentation and necklace for fire augmentation plus the reflection of wave giving us : +3CL fire spells, +7CL cold spells and +2CL all other spells.
    Still not enough even if I did farm Schism shards AND accepted to lose second hand equip!
    When I have more time I'll try and piece together a different end kit; if I find anything usefull will post it here.

sorry for bring up this thread from the graves, but I would like to know what the developers had in mind when in "Master of the wilds" epic feat they wrote "Word of Balance spells gain +10 to their maximum caster level".

How can I fill those +10 maximum caster levels with 10 caster levels?

To increase by +3 Call lightning spell (and maybe to increase the duration of call lightning storm) I would be tempted to use an alchemical weapon with "Improved Electric Augmentation IX" (does it work with druid spells?)

Community Member Captain_Wizbang's Avatar

Last edited by Captain_Wizbang; 04-17-2023 at 10:59 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    sorry for bring up this thread from the graves, but I would like to know what the developers had in mind when in "Master of the wilds" epic feat they wrote "Word of Balance spells gain +10 to their maximum caster level".

How can I fill those +10 maximum caster levels with 10 caster levels?

To increase by +3 Call lightning spell (and maybe to increase the duration of call lightning storm) I would be tempted to use an alchemical weapon with "Improved Electric Augmentation IX" (does it work with druid spells?)
    I can't answer what the developers had in mind but...

There is currently no way of filling up those extra max caster levels with wob. Even the new thorn form from blightcaster gives both caster levels and max caster levels to thorn or force spells???

But i can confirm that cold and fire augmentation from alchemical weapons work with druid spells. atleast for fire i just checked firestorm, fire seeds and dragonbreath. And i seem to recall i did the same test for cold spells, tsunami, creeping cold etc.

One thing to note is that they are changing the max caster level of tsunami from 25 to 20 in update 59, so you might see a dip in damage from it if you had means of getting another 5 caster levels to cold somehow.

Also there is no force augmentation and divine augmentation does not seem to work on druid spells.

The only way i see to increase caster level of wob is from infused chaosrobe which gives +1 caster level to evocation spells. But it is really not worth it i think.

I use the alchemical weapon on my druid 17 monk 2 wizard 1 split to gain the 3 caster levels to my main spells, be that cold, fire or acid from blightcaster. Since i loose 3 caster levels from not being pure druid.

thank you

I can't answer what the developers had in mind but...

There is currently no way of filling up those extra max caster levels with wob. Even the new thorn form from blightcaster gives both caster levels and max caster levels to thorn or force spells???

But i can confirm that cold and fire augmentation from alchemical weapons work with druid spells. atleast for fire i just checked firestorm, fire seeds and dragonbreath. And i seem to recall i did the same test for cold spells, tsunami, creeping cold etc.

One thing to note is that they are changing the max caster level of tsunami from 25 to 20 in update 59, so you might see a dip in damage from it if you had means of getting another 5 caster levels to cold somehow.

Also there is no force augmentation and divine augmentation does not seem to work on druid spells.

The only way i see to increase caster level of wob is from infused chaosrobe which gives +1 caster level to evocation spells. But it is really not worth it i think.

I use the alchemical weapon on my druid 17 monk 2 wizard 1 split to gain the 3 caster levels to my main spells, be that cold, fire or acid from blightcaster. Since i loose 3 caster levels from not being pure druid.