Community Member

Default Fighter/Monk/Warlock Viable? Wanting to make super robot themed.

Hi! So, I'm a super casual guy who's looking for help on a build or finding something that will do what I want it to do.

The idea so far is something like a medieval super robot sorta thing. Tossing out energy something or other, running around with a big weapon and cleaving into evil, punching stuff, etc. Flight and the rest optional.

So, while I've tried the Maverick Hunter melee build for Artificer, it still seems to be lacking something for me and I'm not sure what. I'm hoping others can help out here and point me in an interesting build to match the thoughts above.

In any case, the first thought that popped up was Fighter with Kensai and Monk, but I'm stumped on being able to shoot out as much energy stuff as I want. Any recommendations on that one? Warlock seemed a fit, but I'm on the fence there. Aritificer uncenters the Monk, so that's out. What other options you guys got out there or ideas you can toss at me before I actually try this insane Fighter/Monk/Warlock bit?

I tried it before, except it was pali instead of fighter, okish in heroic, sucks on epic.

Warlock is a bad fit for most melee builds, as it's "melee" tree isn't optimized for melee, it's more viable as a tank build. Sadly warlock doesn't multi class very well at all since your dps is determined by your warlock level. There are some pure warlock tank dps aura builds that work at end game, but they really are about as boring as a build can be (you tank up and defend while enemies sloooowly die in your aura.)

Honestly what you are picturing would probably be eldritch knight Wizard/sorc, at least the EK is optimized for melee. AS a different alternative maybe the alchemist Vile chemist works, but is a bit more optimized with simple weapons then martial, so it's a little more difficult to work into a monk build
    Quote Originally Posted by nobodynobody1426 View Post
    If you look across all the changes it's basically a giant nerf to all the stuff we used to use while trying to force folks into theme based playstyles.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality. (Note: this quote was from 2013, things never change)

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunan View Post
    Warlock is a bad fit for most melee builds, as it's "melee" tree isn't optimized for melee, it's more viable as a tank build. Sadly warlock doesn't multi class very well at all since your dps is determined by your warlock level. There are some pure warlock tank dps aura builds that work at end game, but they really are about as boring as a build can be (you tank up and defend while enemies sloooowly die in your aura.)

Honestly what you are picturing would probably be eldritch knight Wizard/sorc, at least the EK is optimized for melee. AS a different alternative maybe the alchemist Vile chemist works, but is a bit more optimized with simple weapons then martial, so it's a little more difficult to work into a monk build
    The aura is to give you prr mrr and the hitpoints (Plus light damage if you got the spare ap)

Dont forget monk already eating up 4 stats, you got no space for INT or CHA, so warlock can do, aura alone you dont need any stats, but EK? No way.

Community Member

Well, what made me back track on the Warlock was the CHA requirement. I didn't want to stretch myself thin like that. Plus, Warforged naturally have some Strikethrough boosting among other things that I could get.

My initial plan was to concentrate on Kensai, Henshin Monk, and up to one other tree to make it work honestly.

Warlock attracted the attention 'cause it's got that unique ability to reshape blasts into cones and AoEs among other things.

I might just be giving up on the third class and splitting evenly here.

Community Member

I have recently played a 12 Warlock/6 Monk/2 Fighter build that was decent enough. Most AP went in to enlightened spirit tree to get both blasts and the temp HP, then shintao to get t2 PRR, +10% offhand and lesser restoration on light light light finisher. Took enough to get dex to hit and damage in Ninja spy and haste boost from vistani.

Overall, the build rushed to 6 monk for whirlwind attack then all warlock to 18. Last two levels in fighter to complete two weapon fighting line before going in to epics. Basically just cycled through the two Blasts from Enlightened spirit tree followed by whirlwind attack. Whatever was left was easy enough to melee down and use healing ki finisher before moving to next group of mobs.

For feats I went with dodge, mobility, twf, combat expertise, precision, spring attack, whirlwind, maximize, empower, extend, imp. Crit: bludgeoning, Improved twf, and greater twf....mostly in that order.

Stats in 32pt build were 8 STR, 16 DEX, 14 CON, 13 INT, 13 WIS, 14 CHA with one level up to DEX and the rest into charisma.

I liked celestial warlock due to the bonuses I got to saves, but as long as you got spell power on gear the missing d4s on the aura were not missed much.

Edit: race was human
    Last edited by Derijh; 09-24-2020 at 12:29 AM.