Thumbs down Why is Reaper made easy for Casters?

I thought casters were powerful enough, so why do they get free SP in Reaper with Lost Souls? Shouldn't they be penalized the same as everyone else?

I believe the reason is based off the following

1. Reaper increase in HP and reduction of damage output by players means DPS takes more SP to accomplish
    This can be debated with the caster builds that are more SLA focused. Instant death casters may also not be as effected.

2. They are random
    There is no guarantee you will get enough. Rougher in groups of casters or in groups that don't "share" (You know the ones where other casters barely have any SP, and the one has nearly a full bar)

There is an enormous difference between R1 and R10.

Which part of "Reaper" do you believe is easy for casters?

Melee / ranged dont run out of stamina if a fight takes longer (assuming someone heals them).
    Casters (dps, healers) do run out of sp if a fight takes longer.

In some ways the Lost Souls actually help (some) melee/ranged more than casters as a few Lost Souls will be enough for them to keep going (Cocoon, buffs etc) while the 6k+ sp caster needs loads and loads of Lost Souls if they need doubles.

So, why do Lost Souls not replenish a percentage of max sp? By not doing so they are making reaper easy for melee!
    Member of Spellswords on Ghallanda

They arent for "casters" they are for healers so that they can keep the tank up, so really they are for melee.

Souls arent needed for casters who know what they are doing, dont even need to really shrine much in r10 outside of a few quests.. but i dont see a reason to really complain about them as they arent hurting anyone and let newer players enjoy their metamagics/personalized enhance as they run out of mana after the first 2 packs
    Proud member of EW and ELH
    kirgon lvl 15 wizard/1 bard, hailious lvl 6 fighter,hailous lvl 7 rougue, korgin lvl 16 ranger, hailus lvl 6 bard/2 ranger

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Torkzed View Post
    Which part of "Reaper" do you believe is easy for casters?
    Is just caster hate in a magic world
    Leamos --> Completionist + Epic Completionist

Arena PVP matchs are the only real end-game... still waiting that community will understand and let turbine to implement it.

Community Member

If my 2nd life flavour melee can't do r10 in his Cannith crafted gear while I occasionally AFK to get a drink (I have a life you know)
    Then your caster completionist with +8 tomes kitted out in the best gear in the game acquired after playing 4 hours a day for years shouldn't be able to do it either.
    Fair is fair
    And besides, we all know that if a caster can steamroll EE, then they can obviously do the same in R10.
    *sighs*

Community Member

first life fore sorc here... haven't done reaper on melee yet but considering i do seemingly no damage on r3+ i would say its not ezmode for casters.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
    first life fore sorc here... haven't done reaper on melee yet but considering i do seemingly no damage on r3+ i would say its not ezmode for casters.
    I consider r6 the breakpoint right now, where a Doom Reaper/Despair combo can turn everything upside down for a caster. I would agree that before Doom Reapers casters had it pretty good, being able to lock down full mob packs, using the largest toolkit with spell point drops was good life .

I like the new challenge, but i wish every main type of character now could train a burst similar to ranged dps can (with appropriate trade offs), challenge is good, hard blocks are not.

I actually agree they should remove lost souls from reaper. Spell point conservation is meant to be one aspect of player skill for casters. Why is this invalidated in what is meant to be the hardest difficulty setting?

Even on r10s I completely ignore lost souls and indeed most shrines. I don't remember the last time I ran out of mana half way through a quest. This used to be a frequent occurrence, meaning you had to carefully choose which spells to cast in which situation. So I think with the ubiquity of spell points available, an aspect of depth in the game has been lost.

13. 09-28-2020, 02:27 PM

Community Member

A level 20 melee can crit for over 20k. A level 20 caster will be happy if it hits 5k on a crit. Melees have more PRR, MRR, AC, HP. Rogues and monks are immortals because of ac and evasion The best geared nuker will still die with one hit or a single DOT. Divine casters can self heal and now the lost souls are the problem? no way man.

From the 4 nerfs every players got the nukers are the ones that got hit the most since insta killers need to invest in dc only, spellpower was easy to achieve so it was more friendly for people with few past lifes. If reaper needs any change it would be to add more reapers types in a more random way but right now the reaper system works fine to give players more replayability in the same content / quests.

Lost souls have many purposes. In lower reaper may take out the need to stop and use shrines. In mid reaper will guarantee the party can use metamagics without much worry. In highreaper will give the extra mana the group needs to survive the wipes that may happen in each fight by simple things such as lag. I had a terrible lag in spellcasting with a bard two weekes ago and this made it unplayable. I had the dc to enchant but it would take 2-4 seconds for the effect come up in the mob, this lag can be even worse with a sorcerer or alchemist.

Quote Originally Posted by blarhblarhblarh View Post
    A level 20 melee can...
    Hi - I'd say "welcome to the forums", but you have almost 100 posts, so...

When you use "Search", it's important to check the date of the post, especially before you Reply.

Here, the thread is well over a year old, conversation is kinda over.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post

When you use "Search", it's important to check the date of the post, especially before you Reply.

You are absolutely right. I am on pain medicine for my back so I didn´pay attention. Thanks for the insight.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yumzie View Post
    Souls arent needed for casters who know what they are doing, dont even need to really shrine much in r10 outside of a few quests.. but i dont see a reason to really complain about them as they arent hurting anyone and let newer players enjoy their metamagics/personalized enhance as they run out of mana after the first 2 packs
    Counterpoint: If you're playing an offensive caster, and you're not running out of SP and having to shrine, you're playing the caster wrong.

I don't always find the game so unbalanced as to be considered broken, but when I do, I take full advantage of it. Learn to ride the meta wave my friend and when you see a really big wave -- catch it! Sitting around crying about the waves is no way to live your ddo lives. If souls are unbalanced at your skill level, take advantage of it.
    Last edited by MyStiK-GaMeR; 03-02-2022 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post

Apparently you are incorrect.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkniteyogi View Post
    I thought casters were powerful enough, so why do they get free SP in Reaper with Lost Souls? Shouldn't they be penalized the same as everyone else?
    So I assume you currently play a melee. Honestly the best melee builds own high reapers.

Also consider that your divine friends need SP to heal. And consider your hamp is reduced the higher the skulls so it takes more to heal.

Melees have infinite attacks. Casters do not. I think the comparison between ease of reaper is not as far off as you think. Any well built melee or caster can do high reaper content without a problem. And even mediocre builds low to mid reapers.