Default Lords of Dust traps - Is there a way to run past them after they have been triggered?

Nevermind, figured it out.
    Last edited by darkniteyogi; 07-05-2020 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkniteyogi View Post
    Nevermind, figured it out.
    Figured what out?

Unless it makes you feel/look stupid (and usually, even then ), always leave your original post. Some others may find it as brilliant advice.

Now I'm curious as to the issue you encountered...
    Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha5440 View Post
    Figured what out?

Unless it makes you feel/look stupid (and usually, even then ), always leave your original post. Some others may find it as brilliant advice.

Now I'm curious as to the issue you encountered...
    I was wondering if you get hit only after it was already triggered or if you get hit the first time you run through them.

And now i have a new question:

If the traps have yet to trigger, how do you time your jump? (First blade trap, for example)

I was able to figure out the timing once they have triggered (first blade trap, for this example). I jump (without feather fall) as soon as the right blade is about to start its cycle.

So, if they haven't triggered yet, would it be easier to make the jump? No need to time your jump? I could test this again, but my original post was asking about the details of this blade trap.

This is where I died in hardcore server. It is an unfair blade trap because the Hitbox of the trap is much bigger than the blades itself. Even if you are 2-3 feet away from the blades will hit you 2-3x. So you get the "Spotted trap" notification and you Search. While searching (And 2-3 feet away from the blades, you get hit 2-3x and die)

I think its unfair that invisible blades hit you.

I'm assuming your Character was some form of Rogue or Artificer since you also mentioned the word: Search.

If you are a pure Rogue you can typically just quickly run through them - at any time - and most likely not get hit. Of course timing also helps - I wear Feather Fall. You might be able to 'Tumble' through them to reduce damage or use Uncanny Dodge, etc. Also decide upon which wall(s) you want to hug when running down the different stairways to reduce the chance of the blade arc hitting you, etc.

You are Safe to about the second step down, any further and it hits you.

What you shouldn't do is unnecessarily stand still next to them or the blade's recess...

You are safe until about the top step on that rung, my Bank mule is safe standing there.

Your Search range will be good for several feet. In fact you can reveal the Control Panel for the first set of Blades and the Fire Trap with one single Search animation; if you stand in the right place. Don't stand near the top of the steps after the first section with first blade set (as that will likely get you hit by the tip of the blade).

That's about the farthest away She could interact with the Control Panel (Disable).

If you aren't familiar with Control Panel placement; just run down to the first wall before the right-hand bend, then slowly keep edging back towards the base of the stairs, keep repeating Search every few steps... until the Control Panel is revealed. You don't need to be that near the Control Panel to disable it.

The Lords of Dust blades are fairly easy to navigate, slow moving, large, and visible. Unlike the blade traps within the spiral stairway bit within Haywire Foundry those ones (spiral bit) in the foundry seem to initially trigger with no animation or are "mistimed" or something. So they can lop at your head (before being seen or detected) while you are travelling higher up the spiral.

I thought I'd just rush through the quest, and add the pictures later to make it easier to comprehend. The "Flame trap" you can just run through before it triggers. The other blades you can either time and rest in the safe areas, between or just run and jump through - I always pick the latter for that quest.
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 07-08-2020 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Typos.

Community Member

Default Boils down to your build

Quote Originally Posted by darkniteyogi View Post
    I was wondering if you get hit only after it was already triggered or if you get hit the first time you run through them...

I think its unfair that invisible blades hit you.
    I just technically walk in that trap area and I only die walking on Epic Elite since I got hit 25% of the time. Only my chars wearing Full Plate armors have issue with that traps.
    Build and gear plays a lot on that area

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by vhortex View Post
    I just technically walk in that trap area and I only die walking on Epic Elite since I got hit 25% of the time. Only my chars wearing Full Plate armors have issue with that traps.
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Shields - Look under benefits 2x your prr and mrr vs reflex saves.

Every character without evasion should have a large shield in their inventory for a swap. I wish this were more common knowledge took me forever before I picked up on this thanks to one of voodu's twitch streams. I think it works even if you're not proficient need some confirmation on this though.

Quote Originally Posted by DYWYPI View Post
    I'm assuming your Character was some form of Rogue or Artificer since you also mentioned the word: Search.

If you are a pure Rogue you can typically just quickly run through them - at any time - and most likely not get hit. Of course timing also helps - I wear Feather Fall. You might be able to 'Tumble' through them to reduce damage or use Uncanny Dodge, etc. Also decide upon which wall(s) you want to hug when running down the different stairways to reduce the chance of the blade arc hitting you, etc.

You are Safe to about the second step down, any further and it hits you.

What you shouldn't do is unnecessarily stand still next to them or the blade's recess...

You are safe until about the top step on that rung, my Bank mule is safe standing there.

Your Search range will be good for several feet. In fact you can reveal the Control Panel for the first set of Blades and the Fire Trap with one single Search animation; if you stand in the right place. Don't stand near the top of the steps after the first section with first blade set (as that will likely get you hit by the tip of the blade).

That's about the farthest away She could interact with the Control Panel (Disable).

If you aren't familiar with Control Panel placement; just run down to the first wall before the right-hand bend, then slowly keep edging back towards the base of the stairs, keep repeating Search every few steps... until the Control Panel is revealed. You don't need to be that near the Control Panel to disable it.

The Lords of Dust blades are fairly easy to navigate, slow moving, large, and visible. Unlike the blade traps within the spiral stairway bit within Haywire Foundry those ones (spiral bit) in the foundry seem to initially trigger with no animation or are "mistimed" or something. So they can lop at your head (before being seen or detected) while you are travelling higher up the spiral.

I thought I'd just rush through the quest, and add the pictures later to make it easier to comprehend. The "Flame trap" you can just run through before it triggers. The other blades you can either time and rest in the safe areas, between or just run and jump through - I always pick the latter for that quest.
    the problem with the first trap is not just that the location you have to stand (if possible without getting hit), is very near the blades. The bigger problem is that you get hit without the blades actually hitting you. So it would be reasonable for a player to go and search in a spot that appears to be safe.

I guess that is why they put a shrine next to this trap. It is not a problem in normal servers to die here, but a problem in Hardcore.

A player can figure out how to go past these traps by studying them and doing repeated tries at it. Eg. i was able to get the timing of the jump. It is still quite difficult though, and I would probably not risk it in Hardcore in general.

Quote Originally Posted by vhortex View Post
    I am talking about Hardcore server though. I had a reflex of 37, which i thought was fairly high for a first life at level. I guess not high enough.

The blades themselves go about; one to two feet further than the recess itself, which isn't uncommon for the large horizontal type Blade traps. Don't rely upon that recess graphic itself (for actual damage zone area). That's the kind of thing a DDO newbie would get caught out with and if you were to get "lag" it can be extra dangerous.

You'd notice the same with the Level 2 quest: Smuggler's Warehouse. Regarding the blade damage area extending slightly past the recess graphic. The blades on Smuggler's Warehouse ramp are much faster and harder to see than those in LoD. Although you can just walk through the centre of the ramp in Smuggler's Warehouse and not get hit. The same type of caution should be made with most types of traps. Even sprays will sometimes hit when it graphically looks like you aren't standing anywhere near the "active spay" of the jet, etc.

As a rule nearly all Control Panels in the game are positioned where it's completely safe to stand when performing: Disable.

#untrap

The quest: Prove Your Worth (Epic) is rare; since it actually has one moving spinning blade trap, where several whirling blades will ALL eventually catch you up and make it hard to disable... But, only if you dally by the Control Panel for far too long LOL.

If you've never played a Rogue before then; yes, you might do something reckless like stand within arm's length of a blade trap or acid spay searching for a Control Panel (and get hit). I'd typically recommend keeping at least an arm's length away from mechanical traps (if possible) when performing Search. Since the graphics animations aren't always synchronised; or exact as to where they can hit you, it's something you typically learn early on, usually long before Level 10, if playing a Rogue. Of course with Hardcore the consequences of making such fatal mistakes tend to be permanent.
    Last edited by DYWYPI; 07-15-2020 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Typo.