Community Member

Default Gather mechanics got to go.

Gather party mechanics serve no purpose other than to force you to restart a dungeon when someone goes AFK.

Either remove them all or add vote-kick that works while inside a dungeon.

The fact that even modern quests that came out last year still have this horrible mechanic is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavoredSoul View Post
    Gather party mechanics serve no purpose other than to force you to restart a dungeon when someone goes AFK.

The fact that even modern quests that came out last year still have this horrible mechanic is ridiculous.
    /signed
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

/signed

/signed
    Darkwinn, Milkus, Terismina, Gothmawg, Dreylock, Drunarah, Bigbhamboo, etc on Sarlona / Brixlynn, Mofus, Curgoth, Deidlit, etc on Ghalanda.

Community Member

The biggest reason to remove gather mechanics is that they make it harder for two of the game's sub-populations to live with each other. Those populations being the 'flower sniffers' and the 'zergers'. They also create friction between older and newer players. In an ideal world, all of these groups could get plenty of like minded, similarly leveled folks to run with when they posted groups, but that's not the world we live in (although since the Covid thing and the open access generosity, group availability has been better than it was before.

A good goal for SSG in my opinion would be to take various steps to help the different groups coexist comfortably. Gather mechanics are one example of an area they could work on it (perhaps changing it to, get 50% or more of your group here instead of all of it). Another big area would be to offer variant xp pots for sale that work more like rested xp, which would allow people using them to not feel like 'the potion timer is ticking', which aggravates the whole zerg/flower sniffer thing.

Community Member

Well they also serve the purpose of making it irksome for multiboxers to just pike their alt accounts...

They were originally intended to keep players (or more likely a player) from zerging and make them wait for everyone else to catch up so you all can progress together. And that arguably is still a useful goal.

There isnt a way to vote and kick AFK players if they're holding up the group?

I'm all for adding Rested XP as a mechanic though - but not just in the Store or just for VIPs either, it should be something everyone gets to some degree

Community Member

/double signed.

Super annoying, always get pugs who either go afk or too dumb to even follow written instructions.

Community Member

Alternatively :

if all prerequisite objectives are done
    if touching a gather objective zone
    -> give an option to summon all party members in a radius to you

Pro-cons: People missing the walkthru of large empty spaces?

The one that always gets me these days is someone will pop into "Just Business" and immediately AFK without stepping on the barge; they assume they're just afk'ing the speech but they're actually preventing the silly long speech from even beginning.

“Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness.
    Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness.
    Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate.”
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

/signed

I don't mind zerging or flower sniffing. I enjoy both for different reasons. The auto-gather mechanic is problematic even when the entire group is on the same page, but add in afks it's a disaster. This is not a game with a young population, that means we might spend our money more freely. It also means we sometimes have pressing reasons to step away during a quest... it's generally not someone getting interrupted by their parents. It's someone needing to see to a child, a pet, or a significant other. Most of the people I play with have no issues with afks as we are all adults, but throw in a gather mechanic it annoys everyone even if we all understand.
    Sarlona Guild Succesor for The Harpers...Here nonstop since March 2006
    Sheelagh 30 cleric/ Sidheag 30 FVS/ Catiriona 30 druid/ Dirrty barbarian/ Vigdis fighter/ Banan bard and various others

/signed

My solution up to this point in quests with gather mechanic to to type and announce no afk, brb, bio etc.... if anyone does so I immediately recall, reform, and add them to my list hoping they have a pot running so it costs them just like the time they wasted of mine.

You might do it once with me but you won't get a second chance.

Thank god kick mechanics are not in this game... the level of ******baggery would soar to even new heights in a game where ego ******baggery is abound. Also, if someone afk's in a game I'd rather regroup and reform than bash them. **** happens and yes piking when it is selfish piking sucks. You can usually weed those people out - fool me once type of thing (or you know... give someone the benefit of the doubt first???) - but you cant really tell why someone is afk - most older adult people with real lives - taking care of real life families and parents can probably understand this. I know its wrong to generalize but a teenage tyrant zerger is going to wield his pimplysmallprickpower over a fire alarm or someone's mother or toddler falling in the other room? I thinketh not! Its just a game at the end of the day.

/signed
    Proud officer of Spellbinders: http://spellbinders.shivtr.com/
    Lyrandar(EU)->Devourer(EU)->Cannith

/signed

Ahhh, such fond memories

Seriously, they made a mod for removing this...Just this.

/Signed
    Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Community Member

/Signed