Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Community Member

I like the guide so far, but why take THF then go for a deity for Long Swords? Does bastard sword count as a long sword now or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiyro View Post
    ... why take THF then go for a deity for Long Swords? Does bastard sword count as a long sword now or something?
    The biggest reason is simple - there is no deity for Bastard Sword*.

(* in the religions currently available in DDO. See also: https://ddowiki.com/page/Deities#Fae...n.27s_Churches )

In DDO, when you choose a Deity for a build, after any Racial/Alignment/etc restrictions, there are 3 considerations (in rough order) -

1) Domains (only if a Cleric)
    2) Deity-based Feats
    3) Role Playing

So (in this case) you have to wink at strict Role Playing considerations, take something that does help the build, and call it "good enough".

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I like the guide so far, but why take THF then go for a deity for Long Swords? Does bastard sword count as a long sword now or something?
    This build uses greatswords thanks to Holy Combatant (tier-3 KotC): "You gain Greatsword as a Favored Weapon."
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Thanks. Sorry if it was a dumb question. Still getting used to how complex builds are.

Community Member

The primary benefit of that diety is unyielding sovereignty. Plague reaper is one of the toughest enemies during heroic leveling and unyielding sovereignty effectively gives you one free pass. Using it bypasses the plague reaper healing penalty. Even if you run below reaper level it's useful to have the ability to heal to full when you are in trouble, but in reaper mode against plague reaper it can really bail you out of trouble.

And Unbongwah is spot-on as usual. I use great swords thanks to Holy Combatant for my primary weapon rather than long swords.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    This build uses greatswords thanks to Holy Combatant (tier-3 KotC): "You gain Greatsword as a Favored Weapon."
    Thanks. Sorry if it was a dumb question. Still getting used to how complex builds are.
    It's as great question - I should have explained the reasoning better.

Community Member

So, decided to come back due to the promo, looking for a pally build, Is this still viable for a newbie player?

Or can someone recommend something better for a newb? thanks much!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Icetech3 View Post
    So, decided to come back due to the promo, looking for a pally build, Is this still viable for a newbie player?

Or can someone recommend something better for a newb? thanks much!
    Yes this still works the same way except with U51 coming out in early November epics should be easier and less complex for a new player/character.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FTPDDO View Post
    Yes this still works the same way except with U51 coming out in early November epics should be easier and less complex for a new player/character.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach U51 epics with this build? I'm still trying to decipher the changes and figuring out where to put points.

Community Member

Default Me too please

Quote Originally Posted by Arguin View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to approach U51 epics with this build? I'm still trying to decipher the changes and figuring out where to put points.
    Necro-thread response...but I would love an updated 'epic destiny' suggestion that followed from this build/post/thread!

Community Member

Default Thanks for all

As a relatively new player i really appreciate the great effort you put on this full explained guide. It wasn't my first char but is the first one i reached level cap and can have some fun in epics/legendary as a solo player and while is not the same without the coupon for the free quests you can still do almost all the things included in the guide and learn a lot about the game (i also owned sharn and trove with the december discounts that really helps a lot because of the few free quests on mid epics).

I know i'm responding a necro thread but i think it still can help a lot of new players like it did to me

For epic destinies atm i'm playing with Divine Crusader, Legendary Dreadnought (mostly because of Dire Charge) and a few point on Unyielding Sentinel for selfhealing with Renewal and a few extra points on spot and while i'm sure there are better setups out there i'm feeling pretty confortable (again, as a solo player). Isn't too expensive to reset the trees and experiments a bit anyway.

Community Member

I'm coming back to the game after a several year hiatus. I played a paladin in a static back then and had a lot of fun so coming back I decided to roll another one. I was looking for current builds and saw this one. I realize this is a necro post and was wondering if this is still a viable build?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiden101 View Post
    I'm coming back to the game after a several year hiatus. I played a paladin in a static back then and had a lot of fun so coming back I decided to roll another one. I was looking for current builds and saw this one. I realize this is a necro post and was wondering if this is still a viable build?
    Should be fine. It's probably actually a bit better than it used to be, due to the U57 changes:
    • +25% Competence bonus to HPs added to tier-5 Knight of the Chalice.
    • +3 Imbue dice for 8 APs into Assassin tree to make Slayer of Evil's light damage a bit better. Or if you're not using a Favored weapon, you can use Assassin's Poisoned Coating imbue instead.

You've also got a new build option instead of rogue 2: a Dark Hunter splash, probably paired with fighter 1 later.
    • Pros: full BAB so you don't have to delay your ITHF/GTHF feat progression.
    • Cons: loses Evasion, Toxin Affinity, UMD as a class skill.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Should be fine. It's probably actually a bit better than it used to be, due to the U57 changes:
    • +25% Competence bonus to HPs added to tier-5 Knight of the Chalice.
    • +3 Imbue dice for 8 APs into Assassin tree to make Slayer of Evil's light damage a bit better. Or if you're not using a Favored weapon, you can use Assassin's Poisoned Coating imbue instead.

You've also got a new build option instead of rogue 2: a Dark Hunter splash, probably paired with fighter 1 later.
    • Pros: full BAB so you don't have to delay your ITHF/GTHF feat progression.
    • Cons: loses Evasion, Toxin Affinity, UMD as a class skill.
    Awesome thanks for the info. Now to figure out why I can't get the sound to play through my headset

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567