Community Member

Default Hello! LFG for Leveling 1st life newbness!

Hello friends of Thelanis! Your friendly neighborhood noob here, returning from what feels like a decade away from this wonderful game! I'm VIP and struggling. Reaper, TR, the overall useless old system of pen and paper traditional classes (Tank, Heal, Support, ETC ETC) its all so new. Its like I'm learning the game from scratch again. Granted I didn't really get far before hand (Lv 10 FS??) So really its no big surprise. Anyways I've been hunting for a group to play with consistently. I do have the favor rewards to create lv 4, and 7s. I also have two iconics one of which I am in love with even though the archtype is not really needed anymore. That iconic being a bladeforged tank! (Woot woot beefy boys lol).

Anyways with that knowledge if anyone would be so kind as to take me through my first life I would be forever in your debt, not... literally but eh you get the jest... If you would like to play with me maybe make new characters try new builds and overall help the tiny little scrub that is me, learn the ropes... again... just respond here or I guess.... Is dropping a discord SN allowed? It's so much easier to get ahold of me there...

With love, your nooby- kazi !

Quote Originally Posted by Angelickazi View Post
    Its like I'm learning the game from scratch again.
    You are.

The game is far removed from tabletop, and also from where it was before '14 (when the enhancements all changed in concept). Hey, even Reaper has changed it, and that was only a few years ago.

I'd suggest you (re-)start here:

Most of the "older" builds are still quite serviceable, altho' Sorcerers are ~truly~ diff - the rest are all workable. But once you find a build you find intriguing, post it and get the latest tweaks.

And WB!
    o7

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    You are.

The game is far removed from tabletop, and also from where it was before '14 (when the enhancements all changed in concept). Hey, even Reaper has changed it, and that was only a few years ago.

I'd suggest you (re-)start here:

Most of the "older" builds are still quite serviceable, altho' Sorcerers are ~truly~ diff - the rest are all workable. But once you find a build you find intriguing, post it and get the latest tweaks.

And WB!
    o7
    Hey thanks buddy, didn't know there was a repository. Anyways I was mostly looking for folks that might have the time to help me power through leveling since... well my guild just isn't progressing with me as fast as I would prefer. I did pick a bard first life build from the repository. Is there anything else, like nuggets of wisdom or insight you can spare me?

Play, die, laugh, learn.

To start, "Bravery Bonus" no longer requires consecutive runs on Hard or Elite - any first run enjoys the biggest boost. So right out of the gate, there's that, even if you're only doing Hard every other quest.

Any Reaper difficulty gives a nice XP bonus - R1 or R10 is the same bonus, so many choose R1 for faster XP. Reapers themselves are a new monster to learn to deal with - they can spawn anywhere with other mobs, so are always a possibility. The 4 basic types (others appear w/ higher R levels, R5+) each have their own quirks, and best tactics to beat/avoid them:

(You'll also gain Reaper XP (RXP) - slowly, but it will come. There are 3 trees - Melee/Ranged, Caster, and Defense. If you're a button-pusher, put 4 points into the boost to your offense first, then fill in the Defensive tree to maximize hit points and survivability, and to get a 3rd use of that boost. Tiers are level-gated - you can spread a little around (2 more points in the 3rd tree for a 4th use of that boost), but it's slow, so "defense" is pro'ly the best bet during a first life. You might get a total of 10-15 points by TR, depending.

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Reaper_enhancements)

Similarly but to a far lesser extent with Champions, which are exactly that - mobs on steroids. MucH tougher, and coming in a wide variety (20! - which are labeled if you have overhead labels turned on). Some are obvious - Soul of Ice does additional Cold damage and takes extra damage from flame attacks, and a Stone Guard spews DR/PRR/MRR, but you never know what cards a Mark of Chaos is holding. Many (~25-75%, depending) have True Sight, which translates to a big nerf for Invisibility in Elite mode.

As you may see, in general it's much easier to find experience now, so if your build is solid, or you're just with a solid group, it's simply much faster to level. And from now to Monday morning some time it's a "Buddy Bonus Weekend", +5% for every additional member of a party, so a potenential +25% on top of the usual. Win!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Play, die, laugh, learn.

To start, "Bravery Bonus" no longer requires consecutive runs on Hard or Elite - any first run enjoys the biggest boost. So right out of the gate, there's that, even if you're only doing Hard every other quest.

Any Reaper difficulty gives a nice XP bonus - R1 or R10 is the same bonus, so many choose R1 for faster XP. Reapers themselves are a new monster to learn to deal with - they can spawn anywhere with other mobs, so are always a possibility. The 4 basic types (others appear w/ higher R levels, R5+) each have their own quirks, and best tactics to beat/avoid them:

(You'll also gain Reaper XP (RXP) - slowly, but it will come. There are 3 trees - Melee/Ranged, Caster, and Defense. If you're a button-pusher, put 4 points into the boost to your offense first, then fill in the Defensive tree to maximize hit points and survivability, and to get a 3rd use of that boost. Tiers are level-gated - you can spread a little around (2 more points in the 3rd tree for a 4th use of that boost), but it's slow, so "defense" is pro'ly the best bet during a first life. You might get a total of 10-15 points by TR, depending.

o https://ddowiki.com/page/Reaper_enhancements)

Similarly but to a far lesser extent with Champions, which are exactly that - mobs on steroids. MucH tougher, and coming in a wide variety (20! - which are labeled if you have overhead labels turned on). Some are obvious - Soul of Ice does additional Cold damage and takes extra damage from flame attacks, and a Stone Guard spews DR/PRR/MRR, but you never know what cards a Mark of Chaos is holding. Many (~25-75%, depending) have True Sight, which translates to a big nerf for Invisibility in Elite mode.

As you may see, in general it's much easier to find experience now, so if your build is solid, or you're just with a solid group, it's simply much faster to level. And from now to Monday morning some time it's a "Buddy Bonus Weekend", +5% for every additional member of a party, so a potential +25% on top of the usual. Win!
    Well then, you're a wellspring of information. Thank you for that, that's cool! Didn't know there was a event outside the 'all content free' event going on. That additional 25% exp is amazing! I have caught on to the champions/elites pretty decently. They have True Sight now?! That's terrible... good but terrible. I typically enjoy melee builds so mages are not really my strong suit. Added to all the nonsense of needing a lot of TR's to make casters very good. What repeatables would you suggest for fastest 1st lifer griding (Level 7 as I made a War Dancer bard)?
    Last edited by Angelickazi; 05-21-2020 at 06:47 PM.

My guild Magefire Cannon is recruiting new and returning players if you'd like to join.
    Kimmeh--Lehren--Natheme--Arekkeh--Daiahn--Yesminde
    Join Magefire Cannon on Thelanis!
    Follow PB on Twitch!
    PB's Youtube Channel