Community Member

Default New Mac client is a complete failure

So it has been a few months since the devs updated the new MAC client for the game. I'm not sure if they actually took the time to use it or test it out before releasing it to the public but its garbage. At first, it was somewhat working with slight lag and freezes, but then after my Mac automatically updated, the game completely stopped working. Then I uninstalled the game and read on the "Mac Technical Assistance" page that the devs have updated the client. For the first time ever I thought the devs actually cared about the Mac users. The dev name "Cordovan" posted the link to the download site with the new client THREE times, and I thought for sure that they would get it right this time. Oh was I wrong... the game won't load https://ibb.co/7v0dCfH and now I have to dual boot my already low storage MacBook. So in conclusion, the SSG team, "Cordovan", and DDO will forever be 5 years behind in the gaming industry. Will never have the player base or revenue it once had 20 years ago. Forever using old useless C potato code, old servers, and delusional money-hungry staff members living in the past. More and more people are using Apple products per day and instead of using all the subscription money to optimize your game to meet the needs of this new technological age, you choose to live in the past. This is the time to differentiate yourself from other MMOs and optimize your game for Mac users while the Apple hype train is moving. Stop being delusional and hire some freelancers to write some code to fix your barely working excuse of a game.Why are you people always 5 years behind every Mac update.....

Community Member

Default Sigh

After configuring Macs Bootcamp and installing Windows 10. I'm now able to run DDO smoothly and all it took was a good 2 hours and 20% of my storage space. Thanks, SSG for showing me the light and ruining any chance of future MAC-based consumers.

They no longer have a Mac client. What they have now is a Wine client that emulates the PC version. I’ve had better performance by partitioning my hard drive and running the pc version on boot camp...at least it appears to shave off some of the built-in lag I constantly experienced with the Wine client.

The problem with Mac is that NOBODY in the gaming industry designs games for them...they design games for PC, and then MAYBE come out with a useable yet substandard Mac version.

FWIW, Apple has shot themselves in the foot repeatedly over the past few years by making it next to impossible to upgrade components.

They lost me after they started soldering in ram chips.

What they offer now amounts to little more than over-priced prosumer garbage with built-in obsolescence, and I refuse to buy another Mac until they reverse course and make them upgradeable again.

Quote Originally Posted by AstorPotamus View Post
    They no longer have a Mac client. What they have now is a Wine client that emulates the PC version. I’ve had better performance by partitioning my hard drive and running the pc version on boot camp...at least it appears to shave off some of the built-in lag I constantly experienced with the Wine client.

The problem with Mac is that NOBODY in the gaming industry designs games for them...they design games for PC, and then MAYBE come out with a useable yet substandard Mac version.

FWIW, Apple has shot themselves in the foot repeatedly over the past few years by making it next to impossible to upgrade components.

They lost me after they started soldering in ram chips.

What they offer now amounts to little more than over-priced prosumer garbage with built-in obsolescence, and I refuse to buy another Mac until they reverse course and make them upgradeable again.
    Apple shooting themselves in the foot has been happening for 35+ years. Their business practice has always been to do their best to ensure that their products are incompatible with PC products. Being an Apple customer in the 1980s, I had to go to special Apple stores to get software because they didn't allow their software and products to be sold alongside PC software and products. Peripherals always had proprietary connections so that Apple users would have to keep purchasing their specific products. Apple kept their products in a specialized niche and tried to maximize licensing fees, where PC instead went mainstream and increased access to PC products and technology. It seems that some things never change, and I empathize with your frustration.
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

I'm a mac user since 90' and still use it because I work with it. I run perfectly fine with the Wine version (that's even better than the old app) running on Sierra OS; the problem is the auto-update, even Adobe doesn't work at first! but yes, I agree with you that Apple policy isn't great, but neither Windows. Maybe you can run games on Windows, but since the last auto-update "that-you-can't-prevent-on-windows-10", most of my Adobe apps don't work!

Don’t get me wrong. I find macs to be the most stable platform for audio production. ProTools on a Mac runs smoother than ProTools on a comparably equipped PC to the point I can run about 1/3 more 192khz audio tracks before things start bogging down. That said, I’m no longer looking at upgrading my hardware until Apple pulls its head out of its collective anus. My fully maxed out 2009 Mac Pro was pretty much the last model that offered any modicum of modularity.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PpalP View Post
    I'm a mac user since 90' and still use it because I work with it. I run perfectly fine with the Wine version (that's even better than the old app) running on Sierra OS; the problem is the auto-update, even Adobe doesn't work at first! but yes, I agree with you that Apple policy isn't great, but neither Windows. Maybe you can run games on Windows, but since the last auto-update "that-you-can't-prevent-on-windows-10", most of my Adobe apps don't work!

Please email me and explain HOW to do this! I haven't been able to play in MONTHS nitromoose@yahoo.com