Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Member

Default Forum is messed up when viewed in Firefox v.

Up until yesterday, the forums were displaying fine with no issues (Firefox 75.0). As of yesterday, they now look like this:

https://imgur.com/a/LLZjaL0

Thinking it might have been an addon error, I restarted FF in safe mode i.e. no addons enabled, and it still displayed like that. However, on Chrome it displays fine, as always (no addons running). What gives? Can you please look into this? I even checked the VBB site and there was no recent mention of this problem. If you can address what is happening and rectify that, it would be appreciated. The forums are really difficult to read otherwise.
    Last edited by phantom_x; 04-28-2020 at 04:32 PM.

Community Manager

It looks like your version of Firefox is reading the page as a mobile browser, and using the default Mobile Style of vBulletin. At the bottom of the page there should be a link to go to the full site, and clicking that should restore the forums to their proper display.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    It looks like your version of Firefox is reading the page as a mobile browser, and using the default Mobile Style of vBulletin. At the bottom of the page there should be a link to go to the full site, and clicking that should restore the forums to their proper display.
    Ahh, thank you very much for the quick reply Cordovan! I'm not sure why it switched to that but I am grateful for the quick resolution posted. Cheers!

4. 04-29-2020, 01:53 AM

Community Member

Default Image Bloat and

Also, if you don't mind me barging in and going slightly off-topic, but... maybe some love could be directed towards reducing the image assets of both the forums and the main site?
    I mean they are now in the multi-megabyte range and with re-using a few drag-&-drop compression tools you can shave-off megabytes from those images and make the main site as well as the forums that much speedier (and substantially reduce bandwidth and storage costs for SSG).
    This is an easy operation that shouldn't require code-changes or fiddle-ing with vBulletin and whatever system you guys have to use for the site.

For example, the forum background image "community.jpg" can be reduced from 1.3Mb to 396Kb without loss of quality.
    The image from the site "ssg_3192020.jpg" goes from 1.4Mb to 328Kb without loss of quality.
    Just on those 2 images you'll be saving almost 2Mb of bandwith and storage.

More importantly, your users will thank you profusely for speedier sites.

Thanks.

But what about the DDO Market? It's been messed up in Firefox for a long time. Here's a side-by-side with Firefox on the left and Chrome on the right.

https://i.imgur.com/a8E1Bdz.png

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rauven View Post
    But what about the DDO Market? It's been messed up in Firefox for a long time. Here's a side-by-side with Firefox on the left and Chrome on the right.

https://i.imgur.com/a8E1Bdz.png
    Yes, to add further I am experiencing the same display problems in FF for the store. Further to that on a tangential issue (fresh topic I posted) it has recently (within the last day or so) timing out on transactions so I cannot even purchase things. Anyways, lots of bugs to address.

For the 'DDO Market' they erroneously have HTML Syntax in one of the CSS files LOL. However, the main problem is the actual links to the CSS files aren't functioning and thus not applying any styles, when viewed with Firefox, the ampersands in the links probably don't help.

In other words Jerry (DDO Market) the following CSS file, which has & (ampersand) in the URI isn't being applied in Firefox.

https://drh.img.digitalriver.com/sto...File=style.css

That file of course would apply the main CSS styles like the background colour it's probably not the file that's wrong it's likely the occurrence of the ambiguous ampersands in the URI link.

For example:

In this fragment, the attribute's value is "?bill&ted":
    Code:
    <a href="?bill&ted">Bill and Ted</a>
    In the following fragment, however, the attribute's value is actually "?art©", not the intended "?art&copy", because even without the final semicolon, "&copy" is handled the same as "&copy;" and thus gets interpreted as "©":

Code:
    <a href="?art&copy">Art and Copy</a>
    To avoid this problem, all named character references are required to end with a semicolon, and uses of named character references without a semicolon are flagged as errors.