Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Member

Default Can't seem to get the new patch downloaded and working.

Okay, so first attempt at downloading, it got to 60% and stopped giving an error that said

Unknown Error: E-Fail

So I cut off the proxy in the options at the recommendation of a friend who'd had similar problems.

Then it got to 88% and gave the same error.

So I ran the repair tool

Now it gets to 88% and the launcher just closes.

I've now uninstalled and trying a fresh download.

Assuming it doesn't work, I wanted to post here and get recommendation for any further steps.

Community Member

Re-downloaded a fresh install, new error

https://imgur.com/a/NICC2Gl

Getting the exact same problem on one of my computers. Also failing on two others, although different issues (just disappears after X number of downloaded files).

Community Member

Hopefully we can get some help.

So far I've tried cutting off firewall, resetting router, fresh installing, Running as admin, toggling proxy option in the launcher on and off and trying to download with it on and off. Pretty much all of the 'fixes' I've discovered online.

Even ran a tracert which showed only one line of packet loss, which shouldnt cause the issue from what I can tell.

Default Same,

Looked to see if it was reported.

Community Member

It just randomly worked for me. Was doing nothing but watching a vid to see if it would fix my problem, tabbed back to the launcher and it was at the login page.

Makes me feel like it was connection related, just unluckily dropping packets at the wrong time to cause a DL failure at some certain point that finally resolved itself.

Hope it works for you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zabyne View Post
    Okay, so first attempt at downloading, it got to 60% and stopped giving an error that said

Unknown Error: E-Fail

So I cut off the proxy in the options at the recommendation of a friend who'd had similar problems.

Then it got to 88% and gave the same error.
    I hit the same error with this last update. Ignore the 88% at the top. For this bug that value is worthless and stayed at 88% for me throughout the process of getting past launcher closes.

The launcher continually closed with one of 3 errors:
    -E_FAULT
    -E_ERROR with some hex number of a bad checksum on a download
    -Just closed

But after 30ish relaunches (usually as admin) and one full repair right at the start - the thing you see is the files left to download remaining... the bottom number - which was like 8k or so for the update... kept going down. Sometimes it only went down by 5 - sometimes by 1000's. But it kept going down so I kept at it. Finally it hit 0 and the game ran... and so far I haven't encountered any bugs in my 30 launches to update client.

Not sure what's up with their low level download engine but it's hanging up a lot.

Hope this helps.

P.S: I don't suggest doing the repair - that just added time.
    Last edited by Gratch; 04-27-2020 at 01:38 PM.
    Casual DDOaholic

Time Bandit
    ex DDO Players Council

Exact same problem.

I'll try some tricks that people have suggested.

Time Bandit
    ex DDO Players Council

I guess I could always downgrade to Windows 7, install DDO there, then upgrade the operating system ?

Time Bandit
    ex DDO Players Council

LOTRO updates correctly ; DDO Llamania updates correctly.

It's just the live DDO launcher that's refusing to update the rest of the game files. And I've tried in 3 separate DDO setups.

Oh well, maybe today's patch will fix something ...

Time Bandit
    ex DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Natashaelle View Post
    LOTRO updates correctly ; DDO Llamania updates correctly.

It's just the live DDO launcher that's refusing to update the rest of the game files. And I've tried in 3 separate DDO setups.
    eh -- it was hardware ...

Oh well, at least it was el cheapo hardware that I can soon replace with better.

I will still probably need to reinstall DDO and LOTRO sigh ...

Time Bandit
    ex DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Natashaelle View Post
    eh -- it was hardware ...

Oh well, at least it was el cheapo hardware that I can soon replace with better.

I will still probably need to reinstall DDO and LOTRO sigh ...
    Yay it worked !!

1) Replace faulty hardware which was corrupting the data

2) Delete everything in the game folder

3) Delete the "Dungeons and Dragons Online" folder in Documents

4) Reinstall DDO entirely from scratch.

5) Launch DDO and let it patch & update

(step 1 may not be necessary if the data was corrupted by something other than hardware)

This may not work in every case, so caveat emptor, but it worked at this end anyway.

Community Member

Default Firewall issue

First off: Yes, I realize how old this thread is. I decided to re-install DDO recently, ran into this same issue (I'm certain it's the same issue) and this was the first thing that popped up in Google when troubleshooting.

I tried disabling my anti-virus, software firewall, and all the other protection apps that come with it. None of that worked. I left the installer running overnight (others had reported that as a possible solution) but that didn't fix it. It wasn't until I remembered I have a hardware firewall as well that I made progress. I disabled the HW firewall, restarted the installer, and the app proceeded to update. In the end, this ended up being a firewall issue for me. Hopefully that helps someone else on the verge of throwing their monitor across the room...