Default Barovian Weapon fora Caster?

So, was excited to run Ravenloft on my alt-account Sorcie, and got to the NPC who gives away a free Barovian weapon... and stopped dead. What to choose?

The ML 8 Barovian's Sceptre seems... well, it seems specialized for a generalist. +69 Potency (46 + 23* insightful) is on a par with the Cannith Crafting benchmark of 70 for an ML 8 item, and the insightful Spellsight is a nice bump, but... if it takes one of the hand-weapon slots, is it worth it for most casters? Wouldn't any but a true generalist wizard rather have something dedicated and higher power? Or does the Insightful Potency + Spellsight more than make up for that?

(* With the insightful Spellsight, that's +15 more than a Runic Trinket, but it does take a hand slot that would be used for his 2nd element. That, in turn, can be covered with gloves or a ring, but that then bumps whatever effects were there and dominoes along... having Insightful Spellpower in a trinket is handy. And for only 2 levels, until CC'd stuff at ML 10?)

Just don't want to jump at a "Oooh, shiney!" and then find I've bought a bill of goods.

(My alt thinking is to grab something that he can use as a gish, for a later life - staff or scimitar or great sword, depending on the build. Or a Heavy Crossbow for... yeah, well.)

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

I like Barovian main hand, Macabre off hand with an ML 10 Combustion Ring of Fire Lore (or whatever your main element is).

That gives you your main element all the time and it gives you some bonus on top of that (spell power from Spellcraft, etc) and gives you other elements when needed.

Also means there is only a small decrease in power when you need to put a Heal scroll in your main hand.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful