2014 DDO Players Council

Default Meta-magic feats

So among their choices for bonus feats, Alchemist can supposedly pick any of:

• Accelerate Spell
    • Empower Healing Spell
    • Empower Spell
    • Enlarge Spell
    • Eschew Materials
    • Extend Spell
    • Heighten Spell
    • Maximize Spell
    • Quicken Spell

Which Alchemist spells accept Enlarge as a meta-magic?

If the answer is "none", then why is Enlarge a class bonus feat choice? (Yes, I'm aware you could use Enlarge on multiclass, or racial or enhancement or ED abilities. But you can also just take Enlarge in one of your many "generic" feat slots.)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap

There is no Alchemist spell for which Enlarge works. I think they have it listed simply because they checked every Meta Magic box when doing the list. It's been brought up to them to take it off before as it could lead to confusion for newer players. Technically, though, an Alchemist can take Arcane Pulse or use EA's Sound Burst, both of which can use Enlarge. That is not to say that a single Epic spell and an SLA that doesn't match Alchemist stat or DCs justifies the feat, but it at least isn't a zero factor. My vote, though, is to drop it from Alchemist's list.
    Pinc Punch - Unarmed Monk (Uber Completionist) // Porc the Orc - Paladin // Thunderborn - Warlock // Imustbe Emo - PewPew Rogue // Aquamine Artifact - Crafting Artificer (shelved)

Community Member

According to the wiki, the tier one bombardier vial throwing SLA can use Enlarge, though I don't know what an enlarged single-target spell even means (I have never actually used enlarge so I am not familiar with it).

Community Member

Enlarge = double range, normal offensive spell is about 30 feet. Rays come with free double range, and enlarge is the other way to double your range. Vials seem to have double range free, like rays.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by acemonkey View Post
    Enlarge = double range, normal offensive spell is about 30 feet. Rays come with free double range, and enlarge is the other way to double your range. Vials seem to have double range free, like rays.
    Range is a bit nebulous. (Sorry for necropost).

Does this enlarge the length of the radius of an aoe spell? Is there any way to lengthen the radius of an aoe spell?

I am beyond frustrated with aoe dots. I recently took ice storm, but even at +2 to my enemies, _humans_ and the like just walk out of it, having suffered only 1 tick if I am lucky. I am soloing.

According to ddowiki and ingame tooltip, this is supposed to do a 50% reduction in speed, to (in theory), keep things in long enough to do _some_ damage. I am not seeing this slow effect at all.

Is this broke? Will enlarge deal with the small radius issues so I can actually target in the middle and get things coming into the spell and staying in melee?

Do I really just need to triple down on cone of cold with (maximize) + empower on top?