Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Post DDO Named Gear Planner

Due to multiple requests, I have created a Buy Me A Coffee account. If you feel like donating, great. If not, no sweat. Donations will keep me motivated to continue supporting this tool. Hit me up.

Hi folks. Another redundant planner tool? Not quite! DDO Named Gear Planner aims to streamline the gear tetris game through facilitating item discovery and combinations.

The latest release version is v0.8.18, available at my Github repo. The download link is listed as an asset.

New with v0.8.4 is a second, optional download of item icons, available here. Just download the zip file and unzip the contents into the same folder as the gear planner files. If done properly, there will be an Icons folder filled with item icons that the planner will look into when you slot items. Items with missing icons will use the old icons as defaults.

Note- icons haven't been updated since 0.8.4. I'm planning a new way to generate them, but will likely wait for 0.9.

Version 0.8 comes with the ability to create crafted Slave Lords items. This breaks backwards compatibility with the older custom items format, but lays the groundwork for supporting multiple DDO crafting systems.

Version 0.7.4 changes the format for the gearset files. It's now a simple text dump (exactly what the "dump to text" button did). Backwards compatibility is maintained for previously saved gearset files, but upon saving will be in the new format. The new format also facilitates other developers creating gearset files of their own to be read by DDO Named Gear Planner.

Version 0.7 adds the ability to select which adventure/expansion packs you want to see items from, as well as whether or not you want to see Free to VIP items and raid drops.

Word of caution for v0.6+ :

Build filters seem simple, but take care - it is very easy to generate literally millions of possible combinations of gear. Not only will this take a long time, but it is possible for your computer to run out of memory this way (a very real concern if you run less than 16GB of system RAM). Version 0.6 drastically improved all this, but the following tips for creating filters still apply :
    • Lock the slots you don't want to find gear for.
    • Setup exclusion filters first. The build process tests slot filters before gear set filters, and the process does early-out testing. This means the first filter that produces a result determines whether an item is included or excluded, regardless of other filters that come after it.
    • The more inclusion filters you set, the more items the build process will generate combinations for. This isn't as much a problem as it was in the past.
    • Make smart use of the Minimum Level restrictions to reduce the number of discovered items.
    • The #1 time and memory taker is a filter that includes a property that is found on a lot of items across a lot of bonus types at a high priority (where a lot of open equipment slots are available).

The rating and penalty system is no longer being used.

Custom Items

New with v0.5.3 is the ability to create custom items. These items are kept separate from the dataset. They load from an xml file in the same folder of the executable, and they are not seen by any gear searches, property browser, nor build process.

Main Interface (as of v0.8.4)

Custom Items

Build Filters

Build Process

Item Property Browser

Named Sets Browser

Gear Set Comparison Window

v0.8.18 Changelog:
    • changed named sets window to be non-modal and persistent
    • item updates

v0.8.17 Changelog:
    • item updates

v0.8.16 Changelog:
    • upped maximum level from 30 to 32 in UI

v0.8.15 Changelog:
    • item updates

v0.8.14 Changelog:
    • added menu option for checking for updates
    • item updates

v0.8.7 - v0.8.13 Changelog:
    • item updates

v0.8.6 Changelog:
    • updated for U48 and Feywild items and sets
    • item icons are missing for new items, will be updated once I sort it out

v0.8.5 Changelog:
    • fixed universal spell lore and universal spell power handling
    • fixed items with spell absorption
    • fixed Lightning Coil property type for electric lore

v0.8.4 Changelog:
    • new support for item icons (requires separate, downloading zip file of icons)
    • moved gear set loading and saving to the File menu

v0.8.3 Changelog:
    • added gear set comparison window, accessible via button on the main interface

v0.8.2 Changelog:
    • added Bloodsigil Ring minor artifact flag
    • added toggle all option in quest source selection window
    • added optional properties to search when filtering items by property
    • implemented sorting named sets list by clicking on the list headers

v0.8.1 Changelog:
    • new support for Legendary Green Steel crafting
    • added context menu link to wiki crafting pages
    • crossbows and runearms can now be slotted at the same time

v0.8 Changelog:
    • added support for creating Slave Lords crafted items

Planned features:
    • Common character role checklists for commonly desired properties

Past versions :

v0.7.4 Changelog:
    • added "minor artifact" listing in item property displays (similar to raid drops being identified in item property displays)
    • even more update 46 item data
    • changed the gearset file format to simply be the text dump

v0.7.3 Changelog:
    • fixed selecting a slotted custom item
    • a couple more update 46 items captured
    • added listing all properties and their values for a gear set when generating a text dump

v0.7.2 Changelog:
    • includes update 46 items
    • fixed loading a gearset with weapons in the main and offhand
    • loading gearsets will now try to match existing custom items if the item name doesn't match anything in the official data
    • Special event items now will be filtered out properly if the source is unselected

v0.7.1 Changelog:
    • minor artifacts will no longer be affected by raid drop settings

v0.7 Changelog:
    • added quest source data, can now hide items from specific adventure/expansion packs
    • item property listing now displays whether an item drops from a raid or not
    • fixed Ravenloft sets data
    • U45 data

v0.6 Changelog:
    • Complete redesign of the build process algorithms. Now blindingly fast (compared to before), takes into proper account filter priorities, and uses far, far less system RAM.
    • Minor artifacts are now recognized and checks for slotting multiple are in.

v0.5.3 changelog:
    • Added support for creating custom items
    • Removed armor/offhand/weapon category properties from gear set rendering

v0.5.2 changelog:
    • added new image for when search slot toggles are activated
    • gear set properties listing is now alphabetized
    • changed mouse cursor when over the priority boxes in the build filter window
    • added a button to dump to text file the current gear set
    • added a button to lock all filled equipment slots
    • made main window resizing affect search area of window
    • fixed behavior when build resulted in no gear sets

v0.5.1 changelog:
    • Enabled resizing of main window
    • Adjusted default main window size to display all of the search results columns
    • Changed the application to be 64bit, to support accessing more system RAM
    • Improved build process memory usage, though still significant (approximately 1GB per 100K combinations)

v0.5 new features:
    • Ability to setup series of filters to drive a gear set discovery process (build)
    • Ability to test filter setup to see what items will be discovered for the build
    • Filter test results window supports adding items to current gear set as well as DDO Wiki lookups
    • Build process respects equipment slot locks and fills in discovered items around them
    • Save and load whole builds, or just filters, or just build results
    • Save and load gear sets to/from file
    • For items with optional properties (upgrades or random properties, also), able to select the desired properties now

v0.4 Feature Set:
    • Allows you to search for items by name, slot, minimum level, or item property
    • Has an item property browser showing what properties can be found across the different equipment slots, to include breakdowns by property/bonus/enhancement type
    • Displays a running breakdown of the collective properties across all slotted items, making at-a-glance determination of property overlaps and set bonus influences easy
    • Easily apply items from sets and see which set bonuses will be applied
    • Lock individual equipment slots to protect them from unintentional modification
    • All item and set references can open up the DDO Wiki page they're sourced from
    • Generate a code that you can pass to someone else, so they can load it and see your gear set

So, give it a try. Let me know what you think. Constructive criticism, comments, and suggestions are welcome!
    Last edited by Pfhoenix; 03-10-2023 at 01:34 PM. Reason: updated for release v0.8.18

Community Member

This is fantastic work, thank you very much!!

Community Member

How were you able to pull item descriptions out of the wiki given that there are many inconsistencies with the templates used and frequently erroneous information? Also, given that the wiki is pretty unstable (due to ShoeMaker rampaging and changing stuff on a whim), how do you plan to keep the planner updated in the future?

May I suggest an internal database that will not depend on the wiki but can pull data from it regularly (so you can control what data is pulled) as well as the ability for the user to modify certain items or make custom (cannith crafting/named gear with various enhancements) items and add them to their own database?
    My main server is Khyber. Have toons in almost every server for favor purposes. The Faltouts

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Faltout View Post
    How were you able to pull item descriptions out of the wiki given that there are many inconsistencies with the templates used and frequently erroneous information? Also, given that the wiki is pretty unstable (due to ShoeMaker rampaging and changing stuff on a whim), how do you plan to keep the planner updated in the future?

May I suggest an internal database that will not depend on the wiki but can pull data from it regularly (so you can control what data is pulled) as well as the ability for the user to modify certain items or make custom (cannith crafting/named gear with various enhancements) items and add them to their own database?
    Magic. Magic in the form of a pair of tools I wrote that crawl the DDO Wiki, download all the discovered named item pages, and then parses those pages for the data. I've spent a fair amount of time both fixing inconsistencies in the wiki pages themselves as well as tweaking my parsing code to account for all sorts of things.

Being able to create your own items and have a local database of that sounds doable. I'll add it to the todo list for a future version (but not the next one, I want to get gear set building done next).

I can't sing enough praises about this! Utterly fantastic! This has made searching for ideal gear 1000x easier.

I've spend most of my time in the "Property Browser" so far, looking at properties that I want and looking for gear that has the bonuses I'm looking for, so I can find what quests to run.

One thing that I think might be nice, would be if I could somehow filter gear by shared traits. Like, for example, if I could "lock", say, "Search" as a desired trait, then lock "Spot" as a trait, and it would show me all the named gear that has a bonus to both Search AND Spot.

Another thing that would be really nice would be a 'Minimum Level' filter, that I could set, so that it won't show gear that X character couldn't equip.

Also, could we maybe have 'Docent' as a different category from 'Armor'? I get that it serves the same function, but when you're scrolling through everything, it can be difficult to distinguish the armor from the docents.

From my limited understanding of programming, I think these two features would be relatively easy to implement, but I honestly don't know. Even if those changes never get implemented, this is still an enormously helpful tool, thank you so much for all your hard work!
    Last edited by SpookyNoodle; 01-22-2020 at 10:53 PM.
    The Updatening - An Ongoing Project to Update Every Named Item in DDO

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpookyNoodle View Post
    One thing that I think might be nice, would be if I could somehow filter gear by shared traits. Like, for example, if I could "lock", say, "Search" as a desired trait, then lock "Spot" as a trait, and it would show me all the named gear that has a bonus to both Search AND Spot.
    One of my design goals is to not have an overly complicated interface (usability is important). I'll think about this. The upcoming build feature may aid you with this, but it won't fill the role precisely the way you want (showing a list of all items that share multiple properties).

Another thing that would be really nice would be a 'Minimum Level' filter, that I could set, so that it won't show gear that X character couldn't equip.
    Did you miss the ML (minimum level) range slider on the left side, above the item property dropdown?

Also, could we maybe have 'Docent' as a different category from 'Armor'? I get that it serves the same function, but when you're scrolling through everything, it can be difficult to distinguish the armor from the docents.
    So, if you right click the armor filter toggle, you'll get a context menu of sub-categories (this also works with weapon and offhand filter toggles). I don't blame you for missing it; it's not the most obvious design, but I'm not sure there's a more compact way to access the same information.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfhoenix View Post
    Did you miss the ML (minimum level) range slider on the left side, above the item property dropdown? So, if you right click the armor filter toggle, you'll get a context menu of sub-categories (this also works with weapon and offhand filter toggles). I don't blame you for missing it; it's not the most obvious design, but I'm not sure there's a more compact way to access the same information.
    ;__; Amazing!! You already have half the features I suggested, and I was just too dumb to see them!

One of my design goals is to not have an overly complicated interface (usability is important). I'll think about this. The upcoming build feature may aid you with this, but it won't fill the role precisely the way you want (showing a list of all items that share multiple properties).
    I think it could be really simple to implement, I guess I'll just describe what I was thinking of and you can tell me what you think, about how practical it is, or whether it goes against the real goal of the tool.

So, the property browser already has two tabs, where the items are grouped by category, and by property. I was wondering, what if each of the properties (both in their own tab, and when their subcategorized under each item slot) had check boxes next to them. Then, there's two buttons at the bottom, "filter" and "clear filters." Let's say I browse to the trait "Spot." I check that box, then click the "filter" button, and the range of possible "items" that I can view is reduced, because the "pool" has been filtered to just include the items that have a bonus (competence, enhancement, etc) to Spot. But, most of the items that include a bonus to spot, also have bonuses to other stuff, like some of them have "Search," some others might have "Disable Device" or "Confirm Crits."

Then, I could scroll through all the other properties, check, say "Disable Device", click "filter", and it applies another filter, so that the "pool" only includes items that have a bonus to both Spot AND and bonus to Disable Device, but it still displays all the other possible properties from all the items that have Spot and Disable device, and the process could continue, further filtering down. However, once there's just one item left, the checkboxes disappear.

I considered the idea that maybe the filtering happens automatically, as soon as you check the box, and you can just uncheck the box to remove the filter and go one step up, but I thought that might be too confusing for people who accidentally click a box and then are super confused why a bunch of the traits disappeared, but it's based on what you think the userbase for the tool is like.

I'm probably thinking of the logic inside the program entirely wrong, and my concept for how filtering works would require you to rewire the whole program, etc, so it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

The only real reason I thought of that was because I was looking for an item that gave me a bonus to Spot AND Search, and I had to go to the Spot items, click on each one, THEN go over to the main program, click on the item in its slot, look at that tab, and check to see if the item in question also had Search. If I didn't, I had to clear it from the slot, go BACK to the property browser, click the next Spot item, repeat, etc. And that's not super onerous or anything, and it would probably take more work to program than the effort that would be saved by its implementation. '

I just wanna re-affirm: even though I went super in-detail about a suggestion to "make it better," I seriously adore the tool as is, you've saved me so much headache in finding useful equipment, thank you very very much!

EDIT: Now that I've spent more time in the default program, without doing the Property Browser, that streamlines things a lot, the only thing I'd still like to request is the ability to resize the window as a whole, and the various panels inside the window, but I know from experience that that's pretty difficult to do, so definitely something for the back burner. Stay awesome!
    Last edited by SpookyNoodle; 01-23-2020 at 05:52 PM.
    The Updatening - An Ongoing Project to Update Every Named Item in DDO

Community Manager

Woah! Very nice.
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Community Member Captain_Wizbang's Avatar

Awesome

Hero
    ([ ]'.')>-{===> <( ;..; <)

This is amazing! A real game changer!

Is there an easy way to correct errors in the dB? Treasure Hunters Spyglasses are all (all bar the lvl28 one) showing as the old version rather than the new ones.. Possiby many of the other Crystal Cove items have the same issue.

EDIT: Forgot to add a "Thumbs Up" for you effort
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Tolkiens Law: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

Thank you! This is a very useful tool. A couple of things I noticed. It doesn't seem to let me save a gear set. I don't have all the slots filled in, as it is in progress and the Legendary Experimenter's Goggles is missing so I can't complete it.

I'm looking forward to spending more time with this tool, as there are so many possibilities these days it is difficult to figure out just what to do for a complex character.

Quote Originally Posted by Garix View Post
    Is there an easy way to correct errors in the dB? Treasure Hunters Spyglasses are all (all bar the lvl28 one) showing as the old version rather than the new ones.. Possiby many of the other Crystal Cove items have the same issue.
    Note that old versions of Crystal Cove items are still available. I use the old spyglasses as they actually help my trappers in ways the new ones do not. This will make it more difficult in the tool, but since both are still available it will be best to have both versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tashr View Post
    Note that old versions of Crystal Cove items are still available. I use the old spyglasses as they actually help my trappers in ways the new ones do not. This will make it more difficult in the tool, but since both are still available it will be best to have both versions.
    True enough
    Tolkiens Law: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Garix View Post
    So, I expect there to be data issues, as all my data comes from the DDO Wiki. The best I can do is suggest helping update the item data in the wiki. I've already done a ton of formatting and item fixing on the wiki, but as everything on the wiki is hand-entered, it's reliant on people paying attention to detail, caring about the accuracy of what they enter, and caring enough to enter data in the first place. The Legendary Experimenter's Goggles should be in the next update (I fixed the page myself).

So, I expect there to be data issues, as all my data comes from the DDO Wiki. The best I can do is suggest helping update the item data in the wiki. I've already done a ton of formatting and item fixing on the wiki, but as everything on the wiki is hand-entered, it's reliant on people paying attention to detail, caring about the accuracy of what they enter, and caring enough to enter data in the first place. The Legendary Experimenter's Goggles should be in the next update (I fixed the page myself).
    To be fair its not that is wrong exactly. Both versions are still available. It comes down to whether or not there a way to either add all versions or allow us to hand modify to the correct (for us) version. It's a very minor issue though to be fair.

Nice work though
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

So, I expect there to be data issues, as all my data comes from the DDO Wiki. The best I can do is suggest helping update the item data in the wiki.....
    In the case of moonslice and sunslice, the wiki is correct at listing their deception types as Quality and Insightful but the gear planner lists their SA Dmg and SA Attack as Enhancement so that they don't stack (with each other or with other deception items). I assume then that you will need to make that correction.

BTW, is Save and Load not yet working or is there something wrong with the way I run or use it?

And finally, Thanks! This is very helpful and I already have a number of new things on my gear wish lists.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ahpook View Post
    In the case of moonslice and sunslice, the wiki is correct at listing their deception types as Quality and Insightful but the gear planner lists their SA Dmg and SA Attack as Enhancement so that they don't stack (with each other or with other deception items). I assume then that you will need to make that correction.
    Thanks for the heads-up. This will be fixed in the next version.

BTW, is Save and Load not yet working or is there something wrong with the way I run or use it?
    Edit: whoops. The next version implements loading and saving things. It's coming. =)
    Last edited by Pfhoenix; 01-24-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Nice work! Much grassy azz.
    Sarlona Server -Dafunkey, Kimunki, Lsmok, Whirledpiece,

Officer of The Wulfepack - "If you call one wolf, you invite the Pack"
    Visit http://thewulfepack.shivtr.com/

Community Member

Love the concept and the progress made. Would like for the window to be scaled so most of the info isnt hidden in the scroll box of the items, Ty for your work on this. Kymberly on Sarlona

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast