Hero

Default Make Vengeance Reaper Spell Targeting circles more apparent

Please add depth (z-axis) to the circle graphic created by Vengeance Reapers when they cast Spell Targeting so it's much easier to see them. Too many times friends and I have died to circles that have spawned in the air that we couldn't see because someone was jumping at the time it was cast, or they are cast in the air when on an inclined surface such as the ramps down in Blown Deadline. I play fully zoomed out already.
    Khyber: Ying-1, Kobeyashi, Nichevo-1 | 75 million Reaper XP

Community Member

I couldn't agree more with you on that one. I love the idea of the vengeance reaper, it's another great challenge but I ragequitted yesterday after the 4th circle I couldn't see. Make it something like the pillars of light in defiler of the just. that way even if the circle appear in the middle of a sleet storm we will see it. because that light blue also cannot be seen easily in the middle of an AoE storm

That, or make the circle render on your screen at the same height level of your character - updated in real-time. FFXIV did this with a few markers and it worked fabulously.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    Please add depth (z-axis) to the circle graphic created by Vengeance Reapers when they cast Spell Targeting so it's much easier to see them. Too many times friends and I have died to circles that have spawned in the air that we couldn't see because someone was jumping at the time it was cast, or they are cast in the air when on an inclined surface such as the ramps down in Blown Deadline. I play fully zoomed out already.
    Been there on that quest. My current bane is the windmill hag fight of fresh baked dreams. Circle spawns on any level and you're basically toast, maybe change that fight to allow you to come back out of the windmill, or not have vengeance spawn in there. Neither seem like great solutions as I like having to finish the fight and not be able to run away, but auto death is frustrating.
    Sarlona's FORMER #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikkilla Missquik~
    Member of Roving Guns

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quikster View Post
    Been there on that quest. My current bane is the windmill hag fight of fresh baked dreams. Circle spawns on any level and you're basically toast, maybe change that fight to allow you to come back out of the windmill, or not have vengeance spawn in there. Neither seem like great solutions as I like having to finish the fight and not be able to run away, but auto death is frustrating.
    I agree, lag raises Reaper difficulty to 15 Skulls already, Blue Circle is the right choice to adding to difficulty in Reaper. Lag + Blue Circle, might as well have the DM spout, "You have angered the planes of ddo for the last time...(Combat: ) The DM found no use for your presence. You where Destroyed from the planes.

i agree with every single post in this thread

I agree the Veng invisible circles are very annoying.

I agree with all the thread posters, the blue color is rough to see, maybe incorporate an audible sound along with the Y-Axis.

We all play with a different character view.
    Rhynn Level 30 Real Estate Mogul, aka The Teflon Don

Yeah, defintely signed.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

Quote Originally Posted by Psiandron View Post
    Yeah, defintely signed.
    Supposedly the aoe isn't a circle anyway so just display the square that the hitbox really is

My personal thoughts on this is:

1. The possible "fixes" are going to be problem makers of their own if they are to be "useful" fixes. But without changes/fixes, this simply remains an annoyance that tests nothing of the player other than if they had the camera at the right angle on first seeing it. Making it totally unfair and frustrating in its own right if no changes are done or even if changes are done. So might as well go for a change.

2. Whilst the sound addition may be helpful, it may also not be quite enough also depending on what's going on at the time. It could end up being drowned out by other sounds. Also, sound doesn't let you know WHERE you are within the confines of a circle at the time. This means for most without a way to speedily leave the area, this may just be adding a warning label to an issue but not actually applying a fix. However, I would like that sound added, but it'll have to be unique to alert players they are within a circle and to get the heck out of there.

3. Visual. Lets be honest, no matter what's suggested here, it'll either mess with the player or mess with a whole party anyway. But since that'll be the case anyway, it might be better to actually provide graphical context of the actual circle; so instead of a circle, apply a cylinder with a transparency and colour to it. This way, a player will not only recognise there is a "circle", but WHERE they are inside that circle more easily through the curvature of the cylinder they can see. So instead of trying to get out of the circle through the furthest distance, they can manuever more easily out of it. The only issue here is, the transparency in this game for cylinders tends to stack on each other from one side of the cylinder and starts to become more opaque as more layers or cylinders are placed into the game. This means that if you have multiple Vengeance Reapers dropping Circles, you could end up having a lot of difficulty to see mobs ahead because of the cylinders in place for circles blocking the view ahead. However, the height of the cylinder would guarantee that players above and below the visual threshold of the cylinder will know they are safe, and those within it would know they are in one and where exactly they are inside one of, but at least can work on getting out sooner. So again, a bit of a mixed bag no matter what you do, but since if you do nothing everything stays the same and remains annoying anyway, you might as well let players "know" and making it more annoying for more players but at least only players with a death wish will continue to charge head along in.

4. Alternatives I had include making a player have the "rage" screen colouring that would indicate they are about to get trashed by the circle, but this again, has the issue of providing no real context of WHERE the circle is. It might be you are not in the circle, but on hearing or reading "circle" in party chart, you might end up moving yourself into one and dying instead. So I didn't really want to put this idea out, but just something to add if players wanted an extra notification that didn't impact on other players.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath, Jedinja.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Sounds like you guys have a valid concern, but it also sounds like "This extreme difficulty level is too difficult."

Sorry, I couldn't help but notice this.

I will say, especially in the case of the hag tower, that the circles should have a z axis of effect and you should be able to be above or below it without dying.

Plus, all death circles in the game should be displayed as the squares they are, for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    Supposedly the aoe isn't a circle anyway so just display the square that the hitbox really is

basically this.

yes i know lotro is another engine, but like when a goblin throw some flammable jar at you and creates some persistant aoe fire

or when you are climbing a hill and there's a giant throwing boulders at you, the target area is a really nice and good looking circle but the real area...

(not good quality screens, atm still stuck with potato old laptop cause reasons)

also note how they di climb terrain uneveness. guess in ddo is not possible, ddo is horrible when anything goes vertical, even when characters are simply jumping. but one can dream, right?

(if you find those red areas bad looking and immersion-breaking, you can turn them on\off with an option called "display persistant aoe effects" or something like that, wording not 100% right, just out of memory, but you get the idea. well, while landscape questing, it's really easy, they do not look good, and not needed, but when doing harder group content and facing real dangers, they are super useful. in the end, your choice)
    storage solution suggestion: Collection

omni-cosmetic system suggestion: Arbiter d'Phiarlan, the Weaver of Guises