Thread: Howl of Winter

Community Member

Default Howl of Winter

Does any caster druid actual invest into the extra 25% crit and 50% crit damage from the wolf tree. Howl of Winter: Passive:
    Casting Howl of Terror now grants you the effect Winter Hunt for 10 seconds which grants a +10 exceptional bonus to Double Strike, 25% bonus to spell crit and 50% to spell crit damage to all cold damage spells. This will only occur once every 30 seconds.
    Might be tedious to swap between the forms but for a boss/ big groups the extra damage might be nice + howl of terror should cause helpless on the trash so itll give u helpless + extra damage
    Last edited by Nokills; 12-04-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokills View Post
    Does any caster druid actual invest into the extra 25% crit and 50% crit damage from the wolf tree. Howl of Winter
    It's not cheap (core 5) and the tree is not very caster-friendly.

howl of terror should cause helpless on the trash
    Afaik, it doesn't.
    On Thelanis: Hallelujah (EK wraith) - Jerryrigged Juggernaut (Fiend Warlock) - Sepulchral (Druid) - Chopchopchop (Monk) - Alleyshadow (retired gimped monkcher). Formerly on Keeper : Misericordia (Thug) - Mumbo Jumbo (Battle Caster) - Infernal Can (WF Kinda Cleric) - Halleluyah (Melee Spellsinger).

2014 DDO Players Council

Does any caster druid actual invest into the extra 25% crit and 50% crit damage from the wolf tree. Howl of Winter: Passive:
    Casting Howl of Terror now grants you the effect Winter Hunt for 10 seconds which grants a +10 exceptional bonus to Double Strike, 25% bonus to spell crit and 50% to spell crit damage to all cold damage spells. This will only occur once every 30 seconds.
    Might be tedious to swap between the forms but for a boss/ big groups the extra damage might be nice
    Interesting. I don't, but hadn't even thought about it. I still probably won't, but thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Can View Post
    It's not cheap (core 5) and the tree is not very caster-friendly.
    If I did want to take it, it would only be 1 more AP for me, pulled out of Harper or something only marginally useful anyway.

As for not being caster-friendly, as a whole, Druid's enhancements are not caster-friendly. Every other full caster class has at least 2 casting trees, and at most 1 melee(/ranged) tree. Every other full caster class, even in the melee tree, they can at least take their primary stat. Druids have only 1 casting tree, and inexplicably have 2 melee trees. One of those melee trees doesn't even have an option for the class primary stat. The casting tree they have had the **** nerfed out of it for DC casters a year and a half ago (though I hear nukers don't care much about the nerfs, but not everyone plays the same way).

They should at least:
    - un-nerf Season's Herald, by giving back all the debuffs, spell pen, caster levels, and DC boosts they inexplicably took away
    - add a 2nd casting tree. I'd suggest a primary focus on summons, secondary on healing, as being thematic for the class, but I'm open to other suggestions
    - add Wisdom as an option in NP (or even just roll NW & NP into a single tree with appropriate multi-selectors, but I suspect lots of people would whine about that)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap