Default New(ish) Laptop help

I just received a gaming laptop from my son. The recommended and default resolution is 3840x2160. DDO looks beautiful with this setting but all boxes and tool bars are almost microscopic. I had to drop the resolution to 2048x1152 to be able to read any of the text. Anyone know how to enlarge all boxes and toolbars when at the high resolution?

If it helps the laptop is running direct x 12 and an Nvidia 960M.
    Always haggle venders - Anicheap Copperpincher
    Anigiant the Halfling
    Most dangerous enemy tactic ... Lag Death
    Beyond Good and Evil - Sarlona

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Death_Mystic View Post
    I just received a gaming laptop from my son. The recommended and default resolution is 3840x2160. DDO looks beautiful with this setting but all boxes and tool bars are almost microscopic. I had to drop the resolution to 2048x1152 to be able to read any of the text. Anyone know how to enlarge all boxes and toolbars when at the high resolution?

Honestly I'd just drop the resolution down to 1920 x 1080. You really don't need 4k for DDO.

Sadly, this is one of DDO's limitations... no scaling UI. Sorry.

I do hope one day they upgrade their UI to scale with higher resolutions, but atm.... *cries softly*

Quote Originally Posted by Death_Mystic View Post

congratulations on the new laptop. that is a nice gift.

but yeah, there is a limitation on scaling the UI - so there is no way to scale the toolbars running at those high resolutions -- the landscape might be beautiful, but you would probably be better off running at 1920 x 1080 as jkalten suggested.

someone had recently replied to an older thread about the issue with running ddo on a 4k screen:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/496354
    but I am not sure that compatibility solution works (the recent reply said that it does not).

however, when you mention the text in the boxes, if you mean the party/general/combat text box, the font for that can be changed. you would go to:

MAIN MENU / OPTIONS / UI SETTINGS

and scroll down to CHAT FONT - the default is Verdana 14, you can try increasing that to Verdana 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Graskitch View Post
    congratulations on the new laptop. that is a nice gift.

someone had recently replied to an older thread about the issue with running ddo on a 4k screen:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/496354
    but I am not sure that compatibility solution works (the recent reply said that it does not).

however, when you mention the text in the boxes, if you mean the party/general/combat text box, the font for that can be changed. you would go to:

MAIN MENU / OPTIONS / UI SETTINGS

and scroll down to CHAT FONT - the default is Verdana 14, you can try increasing that to Verdana 20.

Graskitch
    Thank you for that link. Reading in there gave me a better way to "hunt and peck" my way. I did have the resolution down but changing back and forth for programs (DDO, videos and photo editing) was throwing icons everywhere.

The "fix" I found for this machine at least was to go to the ddo game folder (in the program files on c>right click on DNDLauncher.exe>Compatability>Change high DPI settings>Checkmark Program DPI and High DPI scaling overide (with system (enhanced) chosen). I also did increase the font size to 18 for chat windows.

Below is a before and after the changes in properties as well as a screenshot of the properties screen with changes applied. I did create a new toon to try and overdid the bars

Settings changed as mentioned above

Before setting change

After settings change
    Always haggle venders - Anicheap Copperpincher
    Anigiant the Halfling
    Most dangerous enemy tactic ... Lag Death
    Beyond Good and Evil - Sarlona

Community Member

Default Fixing scaling of ui

Should be mentioned I had to apply mentioned config change to the actually application that is running for this to work, i.e. dndclient64.exe. Other than that it is great advice and makes the game playable at 4k resolution.

Community Member

I honestly don't know why they sell laptops with native 4k resolution screens built in. Even if the UI scaled correctly, on a 17" laptop you're not going to get much benefit over 1080p.

That said, if you're open to using an external monitor, I've been playing DDO on a 43" 4k screen for years now(lack of Ui scaling not withstanding) and love my gaming experience. You can pick up a 43" TV for about $200 USD.
    If I can read the dev tracker, you can too.

Is this still working for you guys? I tried it and I didn't have any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladius View Post
    Is this still working for you guys? I tried it and I didn't have any luck.
    I have a 85" 4k monitor (Sony LED TV) and I have set it up like that once last year on Windows 11 64bits. However, I do not play in the living room using a remote mouse and keyboard anymore since that was using wireless so I went back to the study room to play DDO, which only has a Dell Ultrasharp 27" 4k monitor. The icons and images look fine on that monitor since its very sharp and I do not adjust the user interface on it.

No, I have not tried again this year but that method worked for me.

If its within 30 days of the purchase period, you might want to return the laptop and wait to get a 4090 laptop, which is coming out when update 58 comes out.

The 4090 laptop GPU performs similarly to a 3090 desktop or a 4070ti desktop, so its worth the wait.

As of this year 2023, there is no point playing on a desktop any more since laptop performance is catching up very well...
    Last edited by Tyrande; 02-08-2023 at 09:19 AM.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    I have a 85" 4k monitor (Sony LED TV) and I have set it up like that once last year on Windows 11 64bits. However, I do not play in the living room using a remote mouse and keyboard anymore since that was using wireless so I went back to the study room to play DDO, which only has a Dell Ultrasharp 27" 4k monitor. The icons and images look fine on that monitor since its very sharp and I do not adjust the user interface on it.

No, I have not tried again this year but that method worked for me.

If its within 30 days of the purchase period, you might want to return the laptop and wait to get a 4090 laptop, which is coming out when update 58 comes out.

The 4090 laptop GPU performs similarly to a 3090 desktop or a 4070ti desktop, so its worth the wait.

As of this year 2023, there is no point playing on a desktop any more since laptop performance is catching up very well...
    I was trying to do it on a desktop, was this work-around intended to only work on laptops? I use a 32" 2k monitor and the smaller icons don't bother me, but my wife hates it so she plays at a lower resolution which makes the game look like **** IMHO. Thanks for the feedback. I guess we'll just deal with it like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladius View Post
    I was trying to do it on a desktop, was this work-around intended to only work on laptops? I use a 32" 2k monitor and the smaller icons don't bother me, but my wife hates it so she plays at a lower resolution which makes the game look like **** IMHO. Thanks for the feedback. I guess we'll just deal with it like everyone else.
    Yeah, when it worked for me, it was a MSI GE66 3070 (with a MUX switch) laptop on Windows 11 64 bits hooking up to the 85" Sony LED.
    So, not a desktop.

I think it matters as long its the same Windows 11, does it?

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility