Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best weapon for drow paladin?

If i get shortsword deity, i can get +9 damage total with drow enhancements (wc i plan to get for darkfire).

Question is: shortsword for +9 damage or rapier for +5 damage with 18-20 crit.

How much strength bonus to damage do i need for the crit bonus to be more effective than the +4 damage that shortsword gives from deity

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Where are you getting the extra +4 with short swords from? Are you planning on burning 2 feats for the deity feats? (Paladins only get the level 1 and 6 deity feats free neither of which increase damage.)

I'm too tired to run the math right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if rapiers were ahead even at level 1. (Barring the use of weapons with unusual crit/damage profiles of course)
    Last edited by Krelar; 11-20-2019 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    Where are you getting the extra +4 with short swords from? Are you planning on burning 2 feats for the deity feats? (Paladins only get the level 1 and 6 deity feats free neither of which increase damage.)

I'm too tired to run the math right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if rapiers were ahead even at level 1. (Barring the use of weapons with unusual crit/damage profiles of course)
    Oh ok thanks.i forgot.. you need to spend feats to get that bonus damage. I guess rapiers it is, and unyielding sovereignity

Quote Originally Posted by darkniteyogi View Post
    Oh ok thanks.i forgot.. you need to spend feats to get that bonus damage. I guess rapiers it is, and unyielding sovereignity
    That's what I did. The "superheal" from Unyielding deity feat was too handy to pass up.

Since I grab IC: Piercing, I use this in mid and late heroics:
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Itemeathnip
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimerist View Post
    That's what I did. The "superheal" from Unyielding deity feat was too handy to pass up.

Since I grab IC: Piercing, I use this in mid and late heroics:
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Itemeathnip
    oh **** i love those death nips.

anyway, i am running my paladin and at level 9 now.
    here's what i'm doing:

7 pal / 2 rogue currently
    doing Quarterstaff with Power attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, I.C. Bludgeon. (the 2 rogue q.staff enhancements have exceeded my expectations. 25% doublestrike and 15% attack speed boost, + it looks cool. Only drawback is more constant repairs)

At level 12, I plan to switch to two weapon fighting. I'll trade my Cleave feats and use the Cleaves of KoTC enhancement tree. Perfect. More toys to play with in one life.

Also, I decide to go with Longswords or Battle Axes and Knight's training, rather than Rapiers. The drow racial tree i decided is really not worth it at 2AP for each +1 damage to rapier.

Having a lot more fun than I expected with my first Pally life.
    Last edited by darkniteyogi; 11-26-2019 at 08:41 AM.

My TWF Drow paladin doesn't bother with any racial enhancements, despite using rapiers and short swords until she got her Deathnips.

Knight's Training is definitely an interesting route! It you're interested in trying that option sooner, the ML8 longswords from Relic adamantine turn-ins might be nice:
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Nightforge_Avenger_Blade

Getting a pair of these during the anniversary event in February might be fun:
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:The_Banhammer

My TWF Drow paladin ran a pair of those through Night Revels last month, and it was fun!
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

Community Member

oh **** i love those death nips.

anyway, i am running my paladin and at level 9 now.
    here's what i'm doing:

7 pal / 2 rogue currently
    doing Quarterstaff with Power attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, I.C. Bludgeon. (the 2 rogue q.staff enhancements have exceeded my expectations. 25% doublestrike and 15% attack speed boost, + it looks cool. Only drawback is more constant repairs)

At level 12, I plan to switch to two weapon fighting. I'll trade my Cleave feats and use the Cleaves of KoTC enhancement tree. Perfect. More toys to play with in one life.

Also, I decide to go with Longswords or Battle Axes and Knight's training, rather than Rapiers. The drow racial tree i decided is really not worth it at 2AP for each +1 damage to rapier.

Having a lot more fun than I expected with my first Pally life.
    Almost made me want to roll one of these up, but i remember the last time with paladin, that was a veeeeery long journey. The 3 rogue splash with qstaves is a pretty decent MC actually with the new feat. Core 2: Stick Fighting: You can now use your Dexterity modifier for damage with Quarterstaves. Gain feat: Swords to Plowshares: The feat grants Quarterstaves, Kamas, and Sickles a +1 Morale bonus to their Critical threat range.

Using an Elemental Bloom for x4 crits :P.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Elemental_Bloom

Mhhmmhm, I almost want to actually play this one :P.

Community Member

If i get shortsword deity, i can get +9 damage total with drow enhancements (wc i plan to get for darkfire).

Question is: shortsword for +9 damage or rapier for +5 damage with 18-20 crit.

How much strength bonus to damage do i need for the crit bonus to be more effective than the +4 damage that shortsword gives from deity
    A lesser heart of wood

Community Member

Depends on what you already have i guess, and if you plan to play at 30. There arent a lot of named Rapiers, and the supernice one drops in a top level raid.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legendary_Moonwillow

This on the other hand is relatively easy to get.

And may as well mix it up for rapier / shortsword combo if TWF.

Or abandon your deity and use dual Legendary Vulkoor's Edge :P

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Legend...lkoor%27s_Edge

Community Member

Best weapon? That's easy, Great Crossbow with Inq.

You can copy paste this answer to any class combination you wish to use.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Best weapon for drow paladin?

non-repeating crossbow.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by palladin9479 View Post
    Best weapon? That's easy, Great Crossbow with Inq.

You can copy paste this answer to any class combination you wish to use.
    Which of the Inquisitive benefits still apply to Great Crossbows that we normally get with Light/Heavy?
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful