Community Member

Default Sad Simple Reality

SSG is not, cannot, will not, update their game to be compatible with Mac.

Their "Mac Link" only exists as a tribute to the game of the past.

If it is your intention to continue playing DDO, you should go get a cheap PC.

Its an old game, the requirements are not very high. DDO is not really going to support mac going forward.

Their "forum tech support" is testimony that they simply do not care anymore.

Get over it, I did, my PC works great. I use it for one purpose, and one purpose only.

Playing DDO.

Community Member

I can't disagree more. First of all, they actually claimed that they were going to support 64bit Mac for years now, ever since the apple announced this change was coming in 2016ish.

Second of all. You really don't need to spend a dime to continue playing DDO. Newer Macs could use virtual box and either linux mint or pop_os to load steam and proton to play the windows client. Older Macs could simply dual boot. Paying a dime extra is foolish.

Community Member

Default Curious

Just wondering if there is a status on updating the MAC client for Catalina?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oswinuss View Post
    Just wondering if there is a status on updating the MAC client for Catalina?
    Ok, so first off. I do not work for SSG or have anything to do with them. I am speculating.

So no word from SSG's and I wouldn't expect one for a while. Possibly even a year or more from now. From what SSG has said, they are not working on a Catalina port and they are not trying to do so.

This doesn't mean hope is lost.

Codeweavers is a company that uses wine to allow a lot of windows software to run on macOS, and they are working on getting many bits of windows software to run on Catalina. Their latest update is here. https://www.codeweavers.com/about/bl...ctober-25-2019

So I'm guessing that by years end, Codeweavers will have a client out for Catalina and that client will likely be able to run DDO. You will have to pay for it however. Eventually, CodeWeavers will push their changes to the upstream wine repo and those Catalina changes will be incorporated into mainstream wine. That point may be quite a while afterward for a stable wine build with those changes but it will happen. At that point I could see SSG simply using that version of wine in their wine bottler and supporting macOS officially again.

In the meanwhile, I highly recommend dual booting with Pop_OS https://system76.com/pop and then installing steam and downloading DDO from steam. It gets better frame rates on my old MBP than I can get with Windows 10 strangely enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jkalten View Post
    I can't disagree more. First of all, they actually claimed that they were going to support 64bit Mac for years now, ever since the apple announced this change was coming in 2016ish.

Second of all. You really don't need to spend a dime to continue playing DDO. Newer Macs could use virtual box and either linux mint or pop_os to load steam and proton to play the windows client. Older Macs could simply dual boot. Paying a dime extra is foolish.
    I haven't tried running DDO specifically on a virtual machine but in my experience running a virtual machine is surprisingly easy, so I agree that this would be a much better first option than buying a whole new computer.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    I haven't tried running DDO specifically on a virtual machine but in my experience running a virtual machine is surprisingly easy, so I agree that this would be a much better first option than buying a whole new computer.
    It gets even easier if you use a paid vm solution like parallels. (Note I wouldn’t have bought it for DDO but I use some legacy cad software, and need to be able to load up Visual Studio 2019 as well.)

Community Member

Crossover 19 (recent release) can NOW run 32-bit Windows programs on a 64-bit OS. Since Crossover uses Wine, my guess is that the latest WINE version can do this.

I got the email from Crossover about a half hour ago, I upgraded to 19 (free for me) and tested it. DDO runs great on it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Myranna View Post
    Crossover 19 (recent release) can NOW run 32-bit Windows programs on a 64-bit OS. Since Crossover uses Wine, my guess is that the latest WINE version can do this.

I got the email from Crossover about a half hour ago, I upgraded to 19 (free for me) and tested it. DDO runs great on it now.
    Does this work with Catalan?
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links. LONG LIVE STEALTH!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jkalten View Post
    They might have claimed it for years, but they haven't actually done anything about that claim...
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

I do agree it would be nice if they made the effort to keep DDO running on mac.
    They did make a mac version for many years, but that hasn't always been the case.
    When i started playing DDO it was windows only and you had to either use a virtual windows or a wine wrapper.

I have played for many years using wine and it actually played better than the mac version. For ease of use i switched to the mac version on steam, but that's gone now to.

So it's back to wine and at least they provided us with an installer for it all. (Which didn't seem to work properly for me, but i managed to get it running. See other thread for tips.)

This installer isn't good for Catalina yet, but as some others already said, there is a wine version in the making that should work.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myranna View Post

I wonder how long before that will hit mainstream wine. Not crazy about paying for codeweavers, but I may think about it now.

Community Member

Luithia (Standing Stone Games Help)

Jan 19, 1:23 PM EST

Greetings Sarah!

Thank you for your inquiry! I apologise but at this moment we do not offer technical support for Mac. I recommend navigating to https://www.ddo.com/forums/forumdisp...cal-Assistance and collaborating with other players to explore other possible solutions.

If you have any other questions or require any further assistance, please let me know.

Kind regards,
    Customer Support
    Standing Stone Games
    so it's up to us the users to fix the issues. and this is b******T
    they have taken money from your pockets and then expect you to fix the problems.
    this is a great game but instead of putting more content into it they should be focussing on the players.
    not everyone has the money to go get a pc just to play this game.