Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

something to look forward to

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    Learn from Zappy, he knows what he is doing on an arcane.
    Khyber server: Plague Winds
    Tank Gotta Go Fast-Shanayney - over 156 Reaper points
    Survivable Healer-Sahanna

Quote Originally Posted by zappy View Post
    well, for r1-4 i do plenty of dps for bosses with just my 1000ish negative spellpower with rend the soul, nrcrotic ray, and the wizard SLA's necrotic bolt and necrotic blast. I will also use delayed blast fireball and meteor swarm, swapping in a wild flame offhand. if a boss is immune to fire, I will swap those spells to otiluke's freezing sphere and iceberg and swap to a wild frost offhand instead. if electric is required i will swap in thunderstroke and ball lightning with a lightning coil offhand

single weapon fighting is just for defensive fighting and that's it. I do not melee at all.

for high reaper I bring a DPS friend along and tank instead
    Interesting build, looks nice, I'm one of those who would never have thought about someone tanking on a pure Wiz.

But... is this damage enough to hold aggro while tanking?

I assume it is, but even with your whole party running dethreat gear and 1k+ spellpower, it still seems...surprising.

You've obviously done it, just wondering if I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Khurse View Post
    But... is this damage enough to hold aggro while tanking?
    aggro is a mess in this game right now. methods for really holding aggro are few. you will notice i take celestial mandate with unyielding sentinel. On top of this i do run a total of 380% melee threat via the icon of the bitterwind and the celestial emerald ring it does help, and keeping rend the soul up and tossing in necrotic ray does help if i really need to keep it. i have to play very actively to keep aggro where dps is high and always on the boss like KT and VOD. its not as bad an issue in LOB or demigod when the dps keeps busy not fighting the one boss all the time.

not gunna lie, ive lost aggro plenty, but when i super try hard, i can keep it. good question.

Community Member

Default how ? :)

First Post has been updated for Feywild update with new augments and gear.

I now run tank mode with 5 piece LGS, 3 winter, and 2 summer. PRR is now 400 MRR 280 with 6400 HP in reaper if full tank mode.

DC's have gotten to the low 150's now, and am able to get Int to 142 if everything is perfect in DC casting mode.
    Hello Zappy,
    Thanks for sharing your experience on wizard.
    Can you post a breakdonw on how you reach this amount of CON / PRR / MRR ?
    You did it for INT.

i'm stuck around 300 prr and 200 mrr (i have both comp feat, just missing 2 more Dgnome lives)

Thanks

The Hatchery
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Tipunch View Post
    Hello Zappy,
    Can you post a breakdonw on how you reach this amount of CON / PRR / MRR ?
    i'm stuck around 300 prr and 200 mrr (i have both comp feat, just missing 2 more Dgnome lives)
    hmm, gather same gearset, augments and rare filigrees setup, make all heroic, racial and epic pastlives, make all favor that gives you +hp and +intimidate, fill at least full tank tree in reaper enhances (filling caster and melee trees will give you additional hp (that what i myself miss - filled just 2 reaper trees of three), on tanking swap to Unyelding Sentinel ED and choose what stance fits you best, turn on EDF, Zombie form on, set up right all five twists of fate, cast Master's Touch and Tenser's, check potions and yugopotions - and then look at chars window to check CON/PRR/MRR - must be same as Zappy posted.. at least that works for me ))
    "I shall take your position into consideration. Well, it seems your terms are not acceptable." (c) Baal
    Argonnessen :: Marche Funebre (200) : Leningradets / Zapasnoy / Grimstave / Rockernaut / Dociznogoud / Feldshaman

6. 06-10-2021, 11:54 PM

Community Member PrinceOfAsphodel's Avatar

Zappy, how does this build feel tanking post U50? I assume it got worse since everyone's hp tanked but is it still viable if you you drop a few skulls? I'm a long time PM player who was looking to add tanking to my build at some point but I'm unsure if I should now.
    Princze/Dazneus of Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfAsphodel View Post
    Zappy, how does this build feel tanking post U50?
    Yeah, I'm curious to see how it's evolved after U50 too! Certainly the gearing options must have changed a bit, now all the endgame gear from the last few years is fairly equal.

Moreso it will be interesting after U51 with the destiny changes. From what I see, it won't be so easy to simply have several ideal destinies mapped out and switch with just a single click, unfortunately. A dual-purpose type of character will be a lot more painful if it's like enhancements, and you need to pay to reset them each time, then go through rebuilding the tree from scratch each time you want to change.

Question

I might be wrong, and if so please accept my apologies all round folks, but I understand Zappy has left the game?

hey all, im on a nice break playing a nice lag free game called final fantasy 14 currently. i don't see a need to update the build for u50 with such sweeping changes coming in u51. If i see some stability in the game in the future i will update the build. i'm sure the gear set for DC caster and Tank are now fully different with the changes to epic gear, but i believe the build itself should be solid even now.

this build in kinda my baby and I love it a lot, ill promise ill be back. long live the never nerfed wiztank. (at least not nerfed any more than anything else did with stat squish)

in the mean time, i am playing about once per month with the crimson eagles on khyber in their challenge raids. i am currently using Ying's u50 bow build from lava divers. it is definitely the greatest single target range dps ive ever ran. I am using the best gear set with 1 change (Rune Lodestone on the neck) swapping the cold iron feat for silver and dropping the silver augment for the constellation augment and adding 2 free augments from the 3 slot necklace (i have the masque for soundproof and ultimatum for petrification immunity) and taking IPS instead of weapon focus thrown, loosing 2 range power but adding some AOE DPS when you want it.
    Last edited by zappy; 09-20-2021 at 10:14 PM.

Community Member PrinceOfAsphodel's Avatar

hey all, im on a nice break playing a nice lag free game called final fantasy 14 currently. i don't see a need to update the build for u50 with such sweeping changes coming in u51. If i see some stability in the game in the future i will update the build. i'm sure the gear set for DC caster and Tank are now fully different with the changes to epic gear, but i believe the build itself should be solid even now.

this build in kinda my baby and I love it a lot, ill promise ill be back. long live the never nerfed wiztank. (at least not nerfed any more than anything else did with stat squish)

in the mean time, i am playing about once per month with the crimson eagles on khyber in their challenge raids. i am currently using Ying's u50 bow build from lava divers. it is definitely the greatest single target range dps ive ever ran. I am using the best gear set with 1 change (Rune Lodestone on the neck) swapping the cold iron feat for silver and dropping the silver augment for the constellation augment and adding 2 free augments from the 3 slot necklace (i have the masque for soundproof and ultimatum for petrification immunity) and taking IPS instead of weapon focus thrown, loosing 2 range power but adding some AOE DPS when you want it.
    Thanks for the update, Zappy. I had heard U50 had been pretty unforgiving to non-traditional tanks because of much lower HP numbers, so I was curious. Glad to know you're doing well and plan to update in the future.
    Princze/Dazneus of Cannith

Community Member

I know this is an older build, however I had a few questions:

1.) Curious where the ASF reuction comes from. I only saw -15% from the blue Spell Agility Augment. The shield and armor combine for 75%. Edit I forgot EK gives -40% with shields and erases the 25% ASF from medium armor. So that answers that.

2.) Wouldn't Gnome provide more benefit than Morninglord?

I love wizzy and PM specifically and I always though a zombie tank would be pretty cool. I am glad you invested and shared into this concept. I know the loss of 4 intimidate might be make or break and doing giants may be impossible with -8 due to gnome racial traits. But if possible to overcome, the extra dodge and grabbing greater color spray there would be nice as it would allow invetment into harper tree rather than feydark. I know you can grab +3 all skills with 15 pts invested and with 17 pts can get int to dmg and hit. Not sure if that would make up for the -1 on normal and -5 on large although. Probably too tight on intim. But would be cool to add some shield bashes into the tanking game.
    Last edited by jskinner937; 10-20-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Default Build question

Love the theory of this build and really thinking of giving it a go because I have all the past lives to make a great caster but don't have the energy to do passlives to have a great normal melee tank. So this sounds amazing to me.

My question is with update 51, what do think changes with this build. Anything that would make you pick a different multiclass or change feats/etc? I am going to be leveling up and just want to make sure I don't have to jump down to rebuild because some known change in 51 that isn't obvious to me as I've never done the build and just coming back to the game so still on "change" overload.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysun View Post
    Love the theory of this build and really thinking of giving it a go because I have all the past lives to make a great caster but don't have the energy to do passlives to have a great normal melee tank. So this sounds amazing to me.

My question is with update 51, what do think changes with this build. Anything that would make you pick a different multiclass or change feats/etc? I am going to be leveling up and just want to make sure I don't have to jump down to rebuild because some known change in 51 that isn't obvious to me as I've never done the build and just coming back to the game so still on "change" overload.
    update 51 will have some major changes. i would not recommend anything but very basic builds until the theory crafting has caught up.

update 51 will have some major changes. i would not recommend anything but very basic builds until the theory crafting has caught up.
    You still playing Zappy? Curious on what your thoughts are on your tanking capabilities with the new updates if you been running any high Reapers/Raids still. I am debating on maining a palemaster or favored soul atm.

Seems like it made the character stronger but also looks like melee tanks in general became much stronger. So might leave less room for a wiztank. Plan to level it up this week, used the epic xp weekend to knock out a few past lives.

Community Member

Zappy IDk if you're still around, but if you are I just want to thank you. In just a couple lives and many tweaks, thanks to you, it feels like I'm playing a completely different toon. I started with Zombie and gear as close as possible to yours with a goal of just staying alive in lvl 34 reaper quest. For the most part a smashing success. Then I slowly started focusing on DCs and switch over to Lich. Next thing I know CC really starts to work, lock 'em down and drop an exploding shadow dragon breath then let aura and a touch of melee finish off whats standing. I'm a fairly new player (currently standing on only 37 rp and halfway done with racials) so to find something that is enjoyable and really works is quite awesome, especially after so many failed attempts. PM was about the only thing I could make any headway with and what I have been able to glean from your build has supercharged it. Thanks for an incredible blueprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheyth View Post
    Zappy IDk if you're still around, but if you are I just want to thank you. In just a couple lives and many tweaks, thanks to you, it feels like I'm playing a completely different toon. I started with Zombie and gear as close as possible to yours with a goal of just staying alive in lvl 34 reaper quest. For the most part a smashing success. Then I slowly started focusing on DCs and switch over to Lich. Next thing I know CC really starts to work, lock 'em down and drop an exploding shadow dragon breath then let aura and a touch of melee finish off whats standing. I'm a fairly new player (currently standing on only 37 rp and halfway done with racials) so to find something that is enjoyable and really works is quite awesome, especially after so many failed attempts. PM was about the only thing I could make any headway with and what I have been able to glean from your build has supercharged it. Thanks for an incredible blueprint.
    this is great to hear! i have recently come back, done my tabaxi lives and am back on a pale master, its is way better now as a tough DC and nuking caster with the new destiny system, but fitting all the tank stuff without paying plat out the nose to swap into raid mode became very much harder, i think that the wiztank may have to be put on the back burner until we have access to lots more destiny points.

shanayney is currently sitting at around 900 unbuffed negative spell power, 50% crit rate and 100 crit multi, 150 heal amp, 200 neg amp and necro DC's at 121. i also have 800 cold spell power with 47% cirt rate but only elders set for crit multi for the stuff that is immune to negative.

as far as defenses go, 1700 HP outside reaper, 250prr 180mrr more if i swap LGS neg crit multi piece to a 4th winter set piece. if i swap to the listed tank gearing, i can get to 3600 hp inside reaper mode with 115 intimidate or so, without use of the defender destiny at all, not great, but i should be able to t5 tank and t4 magus and draconic at some point with enough destiny points and get back to what i used to be able to do.

for now, i would drop the shield feats for nuking capability, intensify, empower, maximise, maybe drop back to light armor or cloth, drop some of the EK tree and pick up helpless damage from falconry, and pick up plenty of +mrr cap stuff, and get evasion from shadowdancer. run the draconic mantle for the spell cooldowns and t5 timestop in from magus. such an amazing t5. love it.

fun note, probly going to swap for staff instead of stick+shield come dino update

current weapon set is a scepter of nullification with an alchemical large shield with alchemical int, cold spellpower stuff and necro DC+6.

getting a gem of many facets with starless night and elders set is quite the rabbit hole, good luck and i hope that can be fully replaced come next update!

Community Member

fun note, probly going to swap for staff instead of stick+shield come dino update
    2 BiS LGS effects instead 4? Highly unlikely... 8)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456