Community Member

Default Mac noob looking for some tech support

After hearing about the changes to the Mac client I said screw it, and figured my DDO days were done.

But to be fair, I haven't even tried to install the new client and would still like to play the game.

As a bit of a background - I was a WinXp user forever. I upgraded my desktop a couple of months ago and picked up a Mac to match the kid's phones, laptops, iPads, etc ... while I was reasonably proficient with my WinXP PC, I know virtually nothing about Macs (frustratingly so).

About my Mac says...
    macOS Mojave 10.14.2
    Processor 3Ghz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8gb 2400 MHz DDR4
    Graphics Radeon Pro 555 2048mb

I have a Kingston 60gb SSD that I used on my old WinXP machine to speed things up. I used the Disk Utility tool to format it for Mac and have it plugged in with a USB.

My question (and remember, I'm an old man with limited tech know how totally new to Macs, so use small words).

For the new Mac OS - do I just download what SSG has on the site OR do I have to download/install Wine first?

Is it possible/is there any merit to download it and run it off the SSD?

I'd reach out to SSG themselves, but have had some bad experiences and the Mac community here appears far more helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Community Member

I was told by customer support that they don't support mac and was directed to this forum. So, I guess, welcome to Mac tech support.

The install file from there site will help you to copy ddo.app to your applications folder. From there, the package will download and setup all the components for you. You don't need to do anything other than click through the dialogs.

If you can't open DDO due to security restrictions, Control-right click ddo.app and pick "Open" Then you can select open from the dialog box.

Community Member

Just leaving an update for all the other technologically challenged people like myself.

Double clicked the download from the web site - clicked through a bunch of dialogue boxes and I'm good to go.

I can adjust gamma, not sure if voice is working yet, and while I don't think I've played long, I haven't seen the graphics crash I used to experience all the time.

Only thing that made me pause was the launcher is in my application folder and there are 3 new icons on my desktop that I don't know if I need to keep or not ... but that's not a huge deal.

Community Member

Default here's a "conversation" i had with Cordovan: