Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default HELP! Can't adjust my Gamma

Need some help... last Wednesday we had the restart and (I guess) a patch. Since then my graphics in-game (everything is still normal outside of game) are really dark. I popped open my options, and the Gamma slider, as well as brightness and contrast, will move.. but instantly pop back to 1.0. I've always kept my Gamma around 1.5 because I'm running on a 50" 4K Phillips monitor, and without the Dolby Digital or HDR instructions the images for the game are always dark. Any other content is always perfect, but DDO seems to be the red-headed step child. I can manually go into windows and up my Gamma, but it resets every time I leave/finish a quest. The darkness makes things like Cogs impossible to navigate, because it's literally black.

My Gamma has been fine until a week ago, I could adjust it just fine any time I wanted and it stayed that way. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

PS: I've tried everything I can find under both DX9, DX10, and DX11, restarting the game (not just logging out) each time. Nothing works

Community Member

Think I may have found something...

resetting the graphics and advanced graphics to default unlocks the sliders... which places the game into Full Screen mode with hard borders (can't move off game window) @ minimum resolution. Changing back to windowed full locks the sliders and lets you move off the game window to surrounding windows. It SEEMS to be keeping my Gamma adjustment @ 1.5... restarting to make sure
    Last edited by LargoKeyWest; 09-03-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Community Member

Nope.. restarting the client drops everything back to 1.0 and locks the bars again. Could use some help fixing this, as resetting graphics to default and then re-optimizing every single time I log in is kind of a monumental pita

Community Member

Something else I've found... I can default the graphics, adjust the gamma, re-optimize it, and it keeps the gamma adjustment... until I click on another monitors window and then game resets to dark and is locked.

Is there a file somewhere I can add 1.5 for Gamma and have it keep it as default?

I'm having the same issue, but I also did a windows update the same day the game updated and didn't know which update caused the issue.

Community Member Captain_Wizbang's Avatar

Similar issue, since HL was launched (when I noticed) everything is much darker. I reset brightness/contrast/gamma every time I log on now.

And yes, it also coincides with a windows update.

Community Member

Out of curiosity what does the setting in your user preferences say for Allow Gamma Changes ? Should be in the Render section of User Preferences.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRunning View Post
    Out of curiosity what does the setting in your user preferences say for Allow Gamma Changes ? Should be in the Render section of User Preferences.
    AllowGammaChanges=TRUE

I changed to value to 1.5... lets see if it helps

ok,, editing the UI preference in Documents folder to 1.5 seems to be a work around. Have to make the change before starting client or it will simply re-write the ini file. Changing the gamma value to 1.5 seems to have worked. Made the edit, saved the file, started the game... now I can see in Cogs. Options still say Gamma is 1.0, and the slider bar is still locked, but I can see
    Last edited by LargoKeyWest; 09-05-2019 at 08:01 AM.

I'm having the exact some problem as the OP. Anyone found a solution yet?
    Furian of Khyber

Thanks, that was helpful! It turns out that it's the 2nd screen. If i unplug my external monitor I can adjust the gamma again in DDO. Then i plug the monitor back in. That's a good enough work around for me until MS fixes their issue.
    Furian of Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shein View Post
    Thanks, that was helpful! It turns out that it's the 2nd screen. If i unplug my external monitor I can adjust the gamma again in DDO. Then i plug the monitor back in. That's a good enough work around for me until MS fixes their issue.
    Check my last post

AllowGammaChanges=TRUE

I changed to value to 1.5... lets see if it helps

ok,, editing the UI preference in Documents folder to 1.5 seems to be a work around. Have to make the change before starting client or it will simply re-write the ini file. Changing the gamma value to 1.5 seems to have worked. Made the edit, saved the file, started the game... now I can see in Cogs. Options still say Gamma is 1.0, and the slider bar is still locked, but I can see
    much easier and simpler then unplugging monitors etc...

Quote Originally Posted by LargoKeyWest View Post
    Check my last post

much easier and simpler then unplugging monitors etc...
    Yikes, i'm not sure how missed that. Thanks!!
    Furian of Khyber

Community Member Captain_Wizbang's Avatar

I also went into user preferences. It was in fact set at 1.0.
    I changed it to 1.5, and all is good, except for a few quests.

If you change this don't forget to save file after you adjust. Not that I did that, Im just sayin'

Community Member

As a follow-up...

The issue continues, with the adjusted ini file randomly getting re-saved to the 1.0 default. I ended up installing re-shader. I only use 2 of the options, 'Clarity' and the 'LiftGammaGain' adjust. I increased the values a bit (RGB Lift = 1.10, RGB Gamma = 1.125, RGB Gain = 1.10)and it works like a charm. Had to add a short blurb so that the menu would come up when hitting F2, but no more darkness issues and I don't have to randomly fiddle with anything to get settings back to the way I like.

Good Luck!

Community Member

Default Solution Found

Yes, this is a major necro, but, as this was the major result and I FOUND a different solution, responding to help future lost souls.

The bars are locked when it's Fullscreen(Windowed). Switch to true full screen, change your settings, return to windowed full screen.

Done.

Default Please help a returning player

Apologizing in advance for the 2nd Necro of this thread.

I just returned to DDO after a multi year hiatus and have encountered the gamma locked issued. Some mentioned editing the UI preferences file, but I haven't been able to locate it. Will someone point me to its location? I usually run 2 characters at the same time so windowed mode is a must for me.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Jules

Quote Originally Posted by JBS View Post

I just returned to DDO after a multi year hiatus and have encountered the gamma locked issued. Some mentioned editing the UI preferences file, but I haven't been able to locate it. Will someone point me to its location? I usually run 2 characters at the same time so windowed mode is a must for me.

Jules
    The .ini file is in your Screenshots folder. There is a link to the folder from one of the Launcher menus.
    1776 Growing Liberty for Centuries 2022

Community Member TechnicallyZero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBS View Post

Jules
    Rather than changing your AllowGammaChanges=True to AllowGammaChanges=1.5, set the game to Full Screen, which will initially lock the mouse within the game window.
    Then, exit the game and launcher, open up your UserPreferences.ini and locate ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=True under Display. Modify it to ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=False and now you can move the cursor off the game window in full screen AND change the 'visibility' settings.

Hope this helps (sorry if this re-re-re-resurrects the thread.)
    The answer is 42

always

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicallyZero View Post
    Rather than changing your AllowGammaChanges=True to AllowGammaChanges=1.5, set the game to Full Screen, which will initially lock the mouse within the game window.
    Then, exit the game and launcher, open up your UserPreferences.ini and locate ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=True under Display. Modify it to ConfineFullScreenMouseCursor=False and now you can move the cursor off the game window in full screen AND change the 'visibility' settings.

Hope this helps (sorry if this re-re-re-resurrects the thread.)
    If a thread has been resurrected multiple times, there must be a reason for it

Also, great tech advice.

- +1
    Dennis the Peasant: Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast