Default Build Request: Dark Cleric/PM

Hi all.

I'm looking for a build that utilizes the dark side of the Cleric divine disciple tree, and the new Pale Master tree. I would like it to be primarily Cleric so as to get that past life.

Tomes:
    Str: +2
    Dex: +6
    Con: +3
    Wis: +6
    Int: +6
    Cha: +4

Past lives: 1 each of Arty, Barb, Druid, FS, Monk, Pally, Rogue, Warlock, Wiz
    Iconic PL: Deep Gnome

I'm thinking Drow would be a good choice, but leaving it up to the builder.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
    I'm really making this up as I go along...

Community Member

I think a 17/3 is the most obvious split...just enough to unlock Lich or Wraith form and keep L9 spells.

But honestly I dont see, other than flavor, what this gains you, really. Shrouds give you self healing - but Clerics arent hurting for that anyway, and Positive has much better itemization than Negative. Shrouds give you Energy Drain immunity, but so does Death Domain, which is the obvious choice for this build anyway. You're not going to be able to cast anything useful as a L3 Wiz with WIS>INT. Seems like all you're getting for those 3 levels is T3 in PM for some neg amp and neg crit and redundant SLAs. Wiki suggests that NEB SLA from DD doesnt target the caster either, so I dont know if that can be used as spam self-heal. But again, Cleric isnt hurting for big burst self-heal anyway.

I dont really think the Cleric negative spellbook is that great, either. Harm spells are not going to do too much damage to higher-tier enemies (and you cant break immunes without 4 Wiz either), so you really just have a couple of IKs and neg level debuffs plus your SLAS and Domain and Enhancement spells.

I think you're better off going pure Cleric as a DD caster, max out your caster levels and get the capstone. Maybe some validity to going 4 cleric 16 wiz on a Heroic only life, just so you can spend your AP in two complementary trees and DD offers a lot of useful passive caster bonuses, but that wont get you your Cleric PL.

Honestly I think the best approach might be to skip the divine necromancy angle entirely - go Vol VKF dagger Vampire Shroud War Domain as a melee priest. 13 Clr/7 Wiz gets you the Death Auras and NEB, splash your AP around between DD PM and VKF, STR based with CHA secondary for Divine Might. Buttloads of self heals, should be able to keep your Necro DC up for Slay Living and Destruction too.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Wiki suggests that NEB SLA from DD doesnt target the caster either, so I dont know if that can be used as spam self-heal.
    Based on past testing, the DiDi NEB SLA will self-(un)heal you in undead form, but MIMW SLA does not.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    I think a 17/3 is the most obvious split...just enough to unlock Lich or Wraith form and keep L9 spells.

Honestly I think the best approach might be to skip the divine necromancy angle entirely - go Vol VKF dagger Vampire Shroud War Domain as a melee priest. 13 Clr/7 Wiz gets you the Death Auras and NEB, splash your AP around between DD PM and VKF, STR based with CHA secondary for Divine Might. Buttloads of self heals, should be able to keep your Necro DC up for Slay Living and Destruction too.
    I'm really liking this idea - but what does the VKF give me? I've looked at that tree before and it all seemed more cosmetic than anything.

I should have mentioned that I do have the Harper tree, and was thinking of putting enough points into that to get INT to both att/dam.
    I'm really making this up as I go along...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nytemeir View Post
    I'm really liking this idea - but what does the VKF give me? I've looked at that tree before and it all seemed more cosmetic than anything.

I should have mentioned that I do have the Harper tree, and was thinking of putting enough points into that to get INT to both att/dam.
    VKF gives you actual melee efficacy. You'll be wielding daggers and attacking to proc your Vampire stuff, and intermittently casting spells when strategically useful. VKF is your martial toolkit for daggers just like Inqu is a toolkit for xbows.

The Eternal Rapscallion Haphazarduk's Avatar

I had a fun life, pre-PM pass, with 13Cl/7Wiz. Double Necrotic ray (spell & sla) gives great single target damage and the same with NEB gives good aoe. I wouldn't have wanted to take it into epics but is felt good enough and full of flavor. Ironically I avoided a lot of undead quests but now with immunity it might cope better.

You could probably fit in some EK rather than VKF - I'm doing an undead monk splash at the moment and EK fits very well with PM.

Hap