Default New Eberron Source Book

Last edited by GoldyGopher; 08-20-2019 at 10:39 AM.

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

Community Manager

Yeah was reading about this today, very exciting!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter YouTube
    Join us on Twitch!
    Hello from Standing Stone Games! Facebook Twitter
    For Support: https://help.standingstonegames.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yeah was reading about this today, very exciting!
    2021: U50 Mournlands Unvelied confirmed?
    Casual DDOaholic

Default Weird

Why Eberron?

Why now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Community Member Captain_Wizbang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Why Eberron?

Why now?
    One of the places where I play https://www.serenitygames.com/ The general sentiment Ive heard from most people into 5e & Pathfinder etc is they welcome the book.
    Last edited by Lagin; 08-02-2020 at 05:52 PM.

"Why Eberron, why now"

Because warforged in 5e are OP as hell and everyone wants to play one?
    Bought my first dungeon master's guide in 1992. My favourite part of ddo is coffee and slayers

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    "Why Eberron, why now"

Speaking of 5e Warforged they could do with getting a Stance/State for choice of armored body they use on creation instead of just Composite Plating which is medium armored in 5th. So Darkwood for unarmored, Mithral for light, Composite Plating for medium and Heavy Plating for heavy armored. This would be similar to 5e Integrated Protection.

These would obviously require having proficiency through chosen classes to use, or by taking the required feat with your standard feats if not proficient. Following same prerequisite rules as fleshy races have. Similarly they can gain access to use other Stances from class enhancements such as Eldritch Knight's Spellsword for Mithral and Armored Arcana for Composite Plating etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    "Why Eberron, why now"

Forgive my relative ignorance regarding 5th Edition, but where are Warforged described for play by players? The Player's Handbook? Some other book?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Why Eberron?

Why now?
    When WotC released the "Wayfinders guide to Eberron" as an electronic source book, let's just say it sold well. Very Well.

So even though there are other campaign settings that we assume have a great following (Dark Sun, Greyhawk, Krynn, Mystara and others), the Eberron crowd proved they will pay for the material.

The only problem is "Wayfinders Guide to Eberron" isn't an [insert air quotes] official product for use in League Play. Rather it is a prototype canonizing a series of house rules for a DM to provide consistent rulings.

Forgive my relative ignorance regarding 5th Edition, but where are Warforged described for play by players? The Player's Handbook? Some other book?

Thanks.
    Warforged, along with Changeling, Kalashtar, and Shifter are in the "Wayfinders guide to Eberron". Along with the Artificer which is currently in Unearthed Arcana (Pre Release) and all of which are not eligible for "League Play", but it is safe to assume the races and classes will be included in the "Rising from the Last War" Source Book.

The book also includes a series of adventures set in the Mournland.
    Last edited by GoldyGopher; 08-20-2019 at 11:03 AM.

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

So now we know where all this "Unearhed Arcana" and beta stuff has led to ...
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Well - I know what my tabletop crew is doing next!
    November is probably just enough time for us to wrap up our current Tomb of Annihilation run, and since I both happen to love Eberron and am the slated next DM - it's the perfect storm.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Quote Originally Posted by Lagin View Post
    One of the places where I play https://www.serenitygames.com/ The general sentiment Ive heard from most people into 5e & Pathfinder, they are sick of Faerun and some of non-sanctioned outlier worlds. So this makes sense to me
    I'll never get tired of Forgotten Realms. Faerun is just the start! Toril has a ton of content, plus all the other planets in Realmspace.

Thanks.
    I don't know which 'printed' material has it, I saw it on d&d beyond. They have the best defense of any race, maybe except Yuan-ti and their inherent magic resistance.
    Bought my first dungeon master's guide in 1992. My favourite part of ddo is coffee and slayers

Mournlands...I am sure that will be a hit.

Relic of the Last War
    Scholar of Adventure
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by GoldyGopher View Post
    When WotC released the "Wayfinders guide to Eberron" as an electronic source book, let's just say it sold well. Very Well.

So even though there are other campaign settings that we assume have a great following (Dark Sun, Greyhawk, Krynn, Mystara and others), the Eberron crowd proved they will pay for the material.

The only problem is "Wayfinders Guide to Eberron" isn't an [insert air quotes] official product for use in League Play. Rather it is a prototype canonizing a series of house rules for a DM to provide consistent rulings.

Warforged, along with Changeling, Kalashtar, and Shifter are in the "Wayfinders guide to Eberron". Along with the Artificer which is currently in Unearthed Arcana (Pre Release) and all of which are not eligible for "League Play", but it is safe to assume the races and classes will be included in the "Rising from the Last War" Source Book.

The book also includes a series of adventures set in the Mournland.
    They've sat long enough on Dragonlance, Krynn would earn them the revenue. I follow most of the official forums, discussions with Weis, Greenwood, etc and Joe Maganiello. The home brew stuff regarding Krynn is enticing, particularly when you bring forward Knights of Solamnia, Knights of Neraka, Mystics, Clerics of Krynn, Wizards of High Sorcery, kender, irda, Taladian Minotaurs and the variants of elves and dwarves on Krynn. Also Dragonrider and Dragonslayer type classes, Dragon Orbs, The All Father (Chaos) and the Greygem mythos really make this a substantial offering to pay for, if designed. I'm using the homebrew Irda and Hill Dwarf turned Mark of Warding in 5e for two of my characters and the races are very good as homebrew creations available online for some time.

I'm only hoping they decide to tap into Dragonlance if they greenlight Joe Maganiello's Dragonlance Script post-Coronavirus and determine it's an opportunity to finally "unleash the Dragonlance," if you will. Plus, Teldin Moore, the last pilot of The Spelljammer, becomes relevant as he was a veteran soldier from Krynn after the War of the Lance. It's a good time to finally consider Spelljammer and Planescape in a Unified Theory and bring back these relevant and awe-inspiring characters and their legacies.

Got the Eberron book a couple of months back - and my tabletop crew is new hip-deep in the campaign.
    Really really good source book.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Relic of the Last War
    Scholar of Adventure
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Got the Eberron book a couple of months back - and my tabletop crew is new hip-deep in the campaign.
    Really really good source book.
    That's awesome. I might convince my D&D/Starfinder GM to consider Eberron later, although we're in his very-developed homebrew world atm that allows us to pull via planar travel from most worlds. For instance, my Irda and Hill Dwarf/Mark of Warding Dwarf are both escapees from Taladas during the Summer Flame/Chaos War, fleeing Krynn with a small contingent of Irda and other races that had secreted themselves among the Taladian continent. Numerous Minotaur/Ogres found a portal to another Prime and fled as all **** broke loose across Krynn during that Summer, ergo Krynnian races (and others) on a very interesting homebrew land with a rich multi-thousand year History and a supposed link to pre-Starfinder technology.

I digress.

Would you gauge that in another year or so, assuming 5th is still the standard, another source book to another world would pique interest?

I know there are a lot of camps in all of these campaign settings, but unless one of the other campaign settings secures a live action Elminister/Drizzt or Teldin Moore or Mystara or Dark Sun, I would think the popular way forward is Dragonlance if Maganiello's live action script gets blessed into a trilogy. Done right, The War of the Lance is the next Lord of the Rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kistilan View Post
    Would you gauge that in another year or so, assuming 5th is still the standard, another source book to another world would pique interest?
    If the quality and depth is the same as this Eberron book - the interest would be there. Krynn would be interesting. I know it gets a lot of flack - but I loved the books as a teen, and would love to see the setting revived. I will always have a soft spot for Dark Sun. And Planescape.... I would love to see them revive Planescape and Sigil as a proper setting, and not just wedged into discussions of the Outer Planes.

Relic of the Last War
    Scholar of Adventure
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    If the quality and depth is the same as this Eberron book - the interest would be there. Krynn would be interesting. I know it gets a lot of flack - but I loved the books as a teen, and would love to see the setting revived. I will always have a soft spot for Dark Sun. And Planescape.... I would love to see them revive Planescape and Sigil as a proper setting, and not just wedged into discussions of the Outer Planes.
    That's good to hear a second opinion on the Dragonlance part, and I think if the live action script/movie was green lit it would be appropriate to really put pen to paper in a Dragonlance 5th Edition book.

I never managed to try Dark Sun, but I loved 2nd Edition Planescape and its extension into 3.5 with its version Planar Handbook. I read the second edition boxed set for Planescape Setting front to back and purchased the Monster Manual (Outer Planes) because of that and Fiend Folio to cover most of those realms. If anything, unifying Sigil/Planescape and Spelljammer (Starfinder in the future context) would make for an amazing release as well. Sigil is like The Doughnut that Never Sleeps and you could literally never leave Sigil to go level 1 through 20 as a player character.

I for one welcome our new Eberron overlords.
    Who's the more foolish, the fool or the one who sends it a res.
    Unrestricted free agent
    Khyber
    Characters - Terrah, Elayne, Shiado, Ranok, Rattchet