Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

OK, going to try something drastic.

Give me an hour or two whilst I download DDO onto a new computer installation, I'll put the files up and compare to my current working installation to find out what files are different and upload them (with SSG's permission) somewhere to players can grab them to get their installation going again.

Back later... (If SSG doesn't fix it first, or Lamannia comes up...)

:: edit ::
    Ah, it looks like that may not be necessary now, will look into Cordo's post but continue with my plan for now in case that doesn't help.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Thelanis: Pocket-Monks: Sightblur, Peashoote, Jigglypath, Jedinja.
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Thumbs up I'm in! :)

Well after a nap I thought I read though the threads again to see if there was an official update, not wanting to mess around to complex may fixes, and after seaching the forum found this
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Friday-May-3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Yesterday afternoon (Thursday, May 2nd) we experienced a DNS issue that needed to be corrected, and that process has caused technical issues for some users. In particular, some players are reporting an inability to log in, and others are reporting patching problems. Here's what you need to do if you are experiencing an issue:

(Short Version)

If your issue is that you cannot log into the game, or your game client cannot patch, Click here and re-download a new game client using a brand new installation of the ddolive.exe Application. The URL is: https://www.ddo.com/en/game/download

(Longer Version)

As part of a DNS issue involving a content server, that DNS information has changed. Additionally, in recent weeks, we shifted to a version of the base installation that no longer utilizes Akamai Netsession for initial installation. This has been a seamless change for most users. However, if you did/are run(ing) into a patching issue, one of the first things to do is to make sure you are not using an old installation download. Quite a few folks do this once they get comfortable with the game client, so make sure you are using a fresh version of it. Get the new base installation package here: https://www.ddo.com/en/game/download

Finally, for those who perhaps have adjusted their hosts file to work around any local, regional, or otherwise DNS propagation issues, make sure to remove that information in a few days or a week or whatever when that DNS information is propagated. I typically still see a tech support ticket a week related to ddo.com DNS information not being removed or excluded from a hosts file.
    OK i thought darn it that will take a while, so I just tried one last time to get into the end, and got straight.

Does seem rather confusing as what exactly is the problem here.

Oh I seem to have responded a little late after Cordovan got to this one, anyway maybe try one more time to log on before reinstalling
    Last edited by Brutuscass; 05-03-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
    The downside to sycophancy is that you never get the best deal.
    Free spirits are always condemned. Only sycophants are tolerated.
    Even negative feed back can have a positive side if used to improve.

I hate DNS issues. They're super weird and they can look like a bunch of other things, which makes them even more "fun" to troubleshoot. Thanks for the update!
    I primarily play Zunzyne Siegemaker, and am the guild master of Ares Macrotechnology on Ghallanda.
    Reaper Experience Calculator: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...ewE/edit#gid=0 (out of date as of U42.4, needs testing for new values)

Default This worked for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Acellon View Post
    Didn't think DNS would be the issue, it wasn't. This suggestion worked for me. Seems like it aught to be an easy fix...
    Many thanks - There's no indication from SSG recognizing that they've hosed up the UserPreferences.ini file, but manually cleaning it as described let me in.

Default This worked for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by gaffneyks View Post
    DDO has been totally unstable for me.

I have found the issue comes up after the game suddenly DC's me.

If I go into the my UserPreferences file and remove all the entries under
    [DownloadFileTimes]

and all the WorldName entries under [User_1]

it lets me back in the game.

So thanks to whoever posted to change my UserPreferences file.

So this fix does differ from what SSG said was the issue. If it was a DNS issue at my ISP I don't see how this would work.
    +1 rep, good sir!

Community Member

Test # 2. I logged into my f2p account, and chose a toon that is in a small guild (level 11), with the smallest ship, and nothing in the cargo hold. Tried to go into the cargo hold and it locked up just like previously.
    "The imagination is not … the faculty for forming images of reality; it is the faculty for forming images which go beyond reality..." - Gaston Bachelard

Hmmm, interesting. A new fresh installation on a secondary machine is giving the Patch failed Hash issue, preventing further progress of the new installation of DDO.

Anyone else still meeting this issue? If not, I'm just going to drop my old installation back onto this machine instead. Otherwise, I'll keep trying to get DDO freshly installed and isolate any issues remaining.

J1NG
    Thelanis: Yijing (*Completionist* TR 20 Aasimar Scourge Monk Level 20 / Epic Level 10)
    Invisible Fences, unkillable Target Practice Dummy's, Shared Bank's, Pale Lavender Ioun Stones, the dimensional barrier between Eberron and Shavarath, I've broken them all...

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Now that was funny. I think I've got an additoional fix, but I'm not 100 % sure about that.

I was at least able to get to the character selection screen.

What I did was this :

1. Download that new ddolive.exe from that announcement here .https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Friday-May-3rd

2. Let it do "repair mode"

3. Went into my OS "Services" and did a restart of the "DNS Client"

4. Changed the language of my Launcher from German to English.

My guess is that rather that repair + the restart of the "DNS Service" did the trick, but I'm not sure.

My thought was that restarting the "DNS Client" would clean up cached DNS entries or so, but that's just a wild guess by me.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Velluminous View Post
    I was able to log in yesterday/today. My guild mate could NOT. He was stuck at the shadar-kai splash screen and couldn't get past it.

He deleted the contents under the [DownloadFileTimes] heading in his UserPreferences.ini but that still didn't help.

So, he did a FRESH install of DDO. Then he got "Game error 202. Can't find file Client_Local_English"
    Turns out his client_local_english file was only 1kb in size.
    Uploaded client_local_english off my working version to a google drive here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10S...84h4VGi3EHDSU6
    He replaced the file with my upload, and BOOM. Back in the game.

I know it requires a fresh/clean install of DDO, but hope this helps some of you.
    I had this same issue going after fresh install. Did as described above and logged in Khyber in less than a minute. Thanks! Hope they get all issues resolved for everyone.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Merfyn View Post
    Many thanks - There's no indication from SSG recognizing that they've hosed up the UserPreferences.ini file, but manually cleaning it as described let me in.
    Another work around that didn't work for me, guess I am one of the few lucky ones that get to play the waiting game.

Community Member

I am really not sure how this is a DNS issue. Situation here is 2 laptops, they are mirrors of each other with same hardware, OS version, firmware, and software. Both are set with 8.8.8.8 as the DNS. The router is set with 8.8.8.8 as primary DNS and secondary as 8.8.4.4 . Yesterday one laptop logged in fine but the other hung at the first splash screen after selecting server.

All suggested solutions were tried, before I even read this topic (yay for being tech savy and working in a software QA dept for several years). The reinstalls included uninstall of akami and ddo, including manual searches for files or folders related to them and deleting them, searching the registry and removing anything there, clearing all temp folders, flushing DNS, and restarting after everything was removed. Got the error 201 as many have reported. Solutions to the error 201 did not work.

I then renamed the StandingStoneGames directory to StandingStoneGamesOLD and copied that directory from the laptop that is working, and doing a binary file compare of copied files to make sure the sizes were the same before and after (this is how you check for corrupted files during a copy and paste). Once I was sure the files were exact matches before and after I started the app and everything works fine.

Default Back in the game, but there are issues

I'm back in, but going to certain instances like the Crafting Hall in House K causes the client to crash. Also, in the wilderness area, trying to go into the "Dank Cave" caused my client to crash.

UPDATE: Switched toons. Tried to go to the cargo hold on the guild ship twice. The client froze up twice in a row. Unplayable. On the third try, I attempted to go to the 1st lower deck with no success.
    Last edited by rykim; 05-03-2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Update
    Takeda Postman Photius Validosius Aginor Valentinian Valentoon Patrel Belisarius Uprite Upright Agathius Khusrau Anshar Tenor Menander
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If%E2%80%94

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Have you tried restarting the "DNS Client" service, too ?
    I'd like to know if that is only working for me, or for anyone else as well.
    "You are a Tiefling. And a Cleric, with the Domain of the Sun. Doesn't that contradict each other ?" "No, all my friends are playing evil. I found that so boring that I decided to be on the good side. And, besides, Sun and Fire, where is the difference, really ?"

I would like to report that my Cannith log in was a true success. The character was parked at House Cannith. No issues at guildship or through the house teleports. It was that fluid.

Anyhow the log in to Ghallanda server the toon was kicked off right after the log in. It was parked at Portable Hole. Character could not move and 'The connection to the server has been lost' error message popped up to auto shut the page and the launcher. This happened twice.

Game randomly froze in and out the quests a couple of times for around 15 seconds. It was not a a continious latency issue, but an extended one with long breaks.

The loading screen right after the Teleport spell is casted also ended up with freeze several times which required Ctrl-Alt-Delete to kill the frozen process. Then it required restarting the launcher and relogging back in. The toon did not teleport to the location.

Character log in and the Loading page with Stormreach sea view and the dragon still freezes with 'Loading...Please Wait' then gives messsage as ' Not responding' even before a succesful log in. May or not may not let the toon log in to the game randomly.

The problem with the Launcher seems to get fixed.

I hope everything will be smooth as it used to be soon.
    Last edited by Kutalp; 05-03-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Community Member

Default Yes

It keeps initializing once I pick a server and then asking for something from my Resources folder in Applications. Whatever I pick results in this screen: ailed to start client
    [gameClientPath: /Contents/MacOS/]
    [strArgs: ]

No idea how to remedy this or even if I can.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Some info for the devs now I've finally got a fresh installation up.

The new installation remains incomplete, 201 error as others have experienced prevnting start up despite a fresh installation after you put the new client up. The following files were missing after comparing to my working installation:

client_anim.dat
    client_cell_1.dat
    client_cell_2.dat
    client_gamelogic.dat
    client_general.dat
    client_highres.dat
    client_local_English.dat
    client_map_1.dat
    client_map_2.dat
    client_mesh.dat
    client_sound.dat
    client_surface.dat
    projectversion
    TurbineInvoker.exe
    TurbineLauncher.exe
    TurbineRegisterGDF.exe

Whether this remains a dns issue after a very long time I got it to install, is anyones guess. But this would be similar to what my family member experienced a few months back from their fresh installation. So fresh installation issues may not be immune to current problems.

J1NG

Community Member

I think some of the reports, sounds like same issue we had in another thread.

I got stuck in load screens.

But luckily Crimsonknights2 posted this fix for this issue:

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonknights2 View Post
    On the theory that it's the missing or bad pictures that would show when teleport, has anyone having the issues tried this (from this thread "https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/505310-Log-In-and-Patching-Issues-Friday-May-3rd/page3"):

"Just FYI: I was online when this went down yesterday, and shutting down the client and restarting, I experienced this same "hang after login" many of you seem to have also been hit by. I gave up on this last night, but a fresh perspective after work helped figure out the damage the SSG switchover had done:

For those of you who haven't yet tried dumping the client and re-installing, take a look at your client install folder.
    - From the root of that folder, enter the "raw" folder
    - Enter "en"
    - Enter "logo"

In my case, all but one of the so-called .jpg files were 2kB html files from a failed image update into the logo folder.

You may be able to delete these and have it re-create them on next restart of the client, but in my case, I actually had an old copy of this folder to copy in. I assume the "de" and "fr" would work similarly. If blanking it doesn't properly re-create valid .jpg image files here, and you have no backup, try copying in a valid .jpg of your choice as each of the respective files:
    ddo_generic_teleport_screen_1.jpg
    ddo_generic_teleport_screen_2.jpg
    ddo_generic_teleport_screen_3.jpg
    ddo_generic_teleport_screen_4.jpg
    ddo_generic_teleport_screen_5.jpg
    ddo_generic_teleport_screen_6.jpg
    ddo_generic_teleport_screen_7.jpg
    ddo_generic_teleport_screen_8.jpg
    ddo_generic_teleport_screen_9.jpg
    ddo_generic_teleport_screen_10.jpg
    ddo_module_splash.jpg

What kind of gave it away for me was that after the "Shadowfell" screen, it normally would load a screen from this logo directory, based on your language setting, and then dump you at the character login screen.

Hope that helps someone else!"

Regards
    Drakiz
    Last edited by Drakiz; 05-04-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Default Genius, Brah

Quote Originally Posted by Drakiz View Post

Regards
    Drakiz

Thank you for this post. Worked for me. Now I can get to the lower decks on the Guild Ship.

Cheers, my Brotha'.
    Takeda Postman Photius Validosius Aginor Valentinian Valentoon Patrel Belisarius Uprite Upright Agathius Khusrau Anshar Tenor Menander
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If%E2%80%94

Quote Originally Posted by Drakiz View Post

Regards
    Drakiz
    Thank you very much for this post. Over the past 24 hours I've been able to log in but the next time I'd zone somewhere (Harbor or Crafting Hall or Portable Hole were the 3 places I tried) the game would immediately lock up. I just straight up deleted everything from that directory. The game didn't re-install those files and now I seem to be zoning fine and the only splash screens I get are the standard DDO one and the Ravenloft screen, which I kind of prefer anyway because I never really enjoyed seeing screens advertising updates that are years old.

Also, pretty sure DNS didn't have anything to do with this or at least it's not the entire problem. Pretty sad when we have to get tech support from other players, IMO.

Community Member airbornerangers's Avatar

Default so

sunday may 5 ddo still crashing every time I try to get into hold of ship or any where not the market I am still crashing, are you going to fix your issue soon? cant change characters either without rebooting game
    Last edited by airbornerangers; 05-05-2019 at 04:18 PM.
    argo thtasselhoff completionist
    khyber gerty lvl 16 cleric mephistoles lvl 16 sorc

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast