Thread: Forum Heyday

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Forum Heyday

I lament that the Thelanis forums are so dead these days and have been for years. I miss the time when Ren, Womp and other Legion personalities where running rampant and sparring with me. Mr. Cow was providing guidance on all things DDO, Bunk and Shyv would be touting some latest achievement, and we had Silver Waffles. Members of Maelstrom, Giant Slayers, IFV, DWAT, Bane, Pestilence and others too numerous for me to name had voices here.

Some of these folks are still around, and many have been gone for years. With a game that has been going for 13 years, I guess many have run out of things to say, or have long since lost interest in spirited forum dialogue. In any case, the forum voices are largely silent.

What can I say? I miss all of your chatter.

Best regards,

E.
    ArtEriik: Leader of Tharashk's Dragon Snacks, ArtEriika, Eriik, Cleriik, ArtCleriik, EriikaJoplin. ArtxEriika, AnEriika, ArtxEriik, EriikaEpic, ElusiveEriik, ArcEriik, AnEriik, and other Eriik somethings
    Proud member of ARCHANGELS

With the rise in other forms of social medias, I would say that is 1 of a few reasons that these forums lay quiet.

It could also be said that the forums are quiet due to over policing of the forums.

Or maybe we all just said it all, and there is nothing left to say.

Either way, we see each other in game from time to time.

-Bunk

P.S. Perhaps we are just all getting too old for this part of the DDO experience.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Community Member

... more than words can say?
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis
    Eushully/Acrobat! | Nantekottai/Somethng tank | LekiLockhart/Wolf

Default Social Media

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    With the rise in other forms of social medias, I would say that is 1 of a few reasons that these forums lay quiet.

It could also be said that the forums are quiet due to over policing of the forums.

Or maybe we all just said it all, and there is nothing left to say.

Either way, we see each other in game from time to time.

-Bunk

P.S. Perhaps we are just all getting too old for this part of the DDO experience.

Minus this forum, I don't touch social media. It's curious how things change, though. If anyone cares to spend a few minutes researching it, I am curious what the status of social media was back in 2006 at the start of DDO.

E.
    ArtEriik: Leader of Tharashk's Dragon Snacks, ArtEriika, Eriik, Cleriik, ArtCleriik, EriikaJoplin. ArtxEriika, AnEriika, ArtxEriik, EriikaEpic, ElusiveEriik, ArcEriik, AnEriik, and other Eriik somethings

I do think that the essential death of forums as a main form of social media is a factor - we went from almost every site to having their own forums to using Twitter/Facebook pages, and people's habits have changed. However I don't think that is the main culprit. Some other factors:

- Almost all itemization is now BtC and BtA. This has killed the trade economy, and this was one of the main reasons to go into your individual servers forums. Without that reason, much of the traffic was lost. I went from being able to post something and getting a dozen requests in the same day to zero responses in a month.
    - With almost no reason to come into server forums (no trade, most guilds pre-plan quests/raids within their own guild, and static group LFMs have their own section), many chats have turned to the general thread.
    - Low activity begets low activity. Almost every thread has less than a half dozen responses in the last year with many even having 0. Why create a thread when you know it will not be responded to? A vicious cycle.

If they ever start making real unbound items again, I think that would do a lot for the activity of this section. There's also always just creating threads and hoping. Having more activity will help remove one of the issues I listed and could encourage more people to check this section and thus have more threads, etc.
    Pinc Punch - Unarmed Monk (Uber Completionist) // Porc the Orc - Paladin // Thunderborn - Warlock // Imustbe Emo - PewPew Rogue // Aquamine Artifact - Crafting Artificer (shelved)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AkromaAoW View Post
    Minus this forum, I don't touch social media. It's curious how things change, though. If anyone cares to spend a few minutes researching it, I am curious what the status of social media was back in 2006 at the start of DDO.

E.
    I started Twitter towards the end of 2008, which should be relatively early in its history. Facebook was already proliferating back then (not as much as now). Instagram was not a thing yet I think. Forums and discussion boards by large, were still a thing though. Dial that back 2 years you probably had more forums still and less Facebook.

Generally over the past decade or so we have enjoyed better internet access and speeds overall so more and more information was being tossed around on those platforms (with pics! play vids! etc.) rather than being concentrated on the forums. These channels add a slightly more personal touch to the content as well, I guess.

DDO forum (or older forum codes in general) is also unwieldy on mobile devices, so it's not particularly handy to read up on a build when you're commuting or something, compared to just throwing a screenshot of a new shiny through your phone onto social media.
    Very much like my favourite weapon, the quarterstaff, I am a blunt instrument, as are my words.
    Thelanis
    Eushully/Acrobat! | Nantekottai/Somethng tank | LekiLockhart/Wolf

I lament that the Thelanis forums are so dead these days and have been for years. I miss the time when Ren, Womp and other Legion personalities where running rampant and sparring with me. Mr. Cow was providing guidance on all things DDO, Bunk and Shyv would be touting some latest achievement, and we had Silver Waffles. Members of Maelstrom, Giant Slayers, IFV, DWAT, Bane, Pestilence and others too numerous for me to name had voices here.

Some of these folks are still around, and many have been gone for years. With a game that has been going for 13 years, I guess many have run out of things to say, or have long since lost interest in spirited forum dialogue. In any case, the forum voices are largely silent.

Best regards,

E.
    You still going round with that poppy seed in your teeth bro. Get outta here.
    Lysol, Winner of the Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence

Cool You!

Quote Originally Posted by weyoun View Post
    You still going round with that poppy seed in your teeth bro. Get outta here.
    It's just wrong that I'm sort of glad that YOU dropped by. Are you lost, or just visiting the ->Thelanis<- forums from whatever other server you now call home?

E.
    Last edited by AkromaAoW; 04-12-2019 at 01:52 PM.

It's just wrong that I'm sort of glad that YOU dropped by. Are you lost, or just visiting the ->Thelanis<- forums from whatever other server you now call home?

E.
    Oh.....he is around Thelanis server. Trust me. He's there. The good, the bad, the bat dung crazy he is there.
    Mothergoose - Kardinal - Bunks

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
    Oh.....he is around Thelanis server. Trust me. He's there. The good, the bad, the bat dung crazy he is there.
    I’m just picturing the patience he has acquired over the years
    Teth - Ascendance

Old School n00b that used to be pretty good at the game.

Default Another!

Quote Originally Posted by xTethx View Post
    I’m just picturing the patience he has acquired over the years
    And here is Teth! Well, well, this keeps getting better. It's a little known, or even unknown, fact that I gave Teth his first banishing rapier, or so he said at the time. It was during a run of the Coalescence Chamber waaaaaay back when he was a relative newbie. I can't recall what the name of that character was, though. It predated the Teth name.

E.
    Last edited by AkromaAoW; 04-12-2019 at 03:31 PM.

E.
    We may have played together. Piking.
    Lysol, Winner of the Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence

Community Member

I was once Scarsgaard...

I was a troll... a jerk.. sometimes funny and totally full of myself...

I grew up. Got married.

And yeah.. Drak, Womp, Malice, Memnir and so many others were the bestemest.. but I'll be honest.. I like being silent nowadays.. it's calm. And I am still on FB.. I post there on the private channels.

Xoetepia

Like the gimp of Hall of Fame in here.

Scars I think I have over an hour of recorded video on my old cpu of us running an elite Monastery from around 2009. Poorly.

Default Scars!

Quote Originally Posted by Xoetep View Post
    I was once Scarsgaard...

I was a troll... a jerk.. sometimes funny and totally full of myself...

I grew up. Got married.

And yeah.. Drak, Womp, Malice, Memnir and so many others were the bestemest.. but I'll be honest.. I like being silent nowadays.. it's calm. And I am still on FB.. I post there on the private channels.

Xoetepia
    It has been a long time. Have you been lurking in the shadows all this time, or did you leave and return? Does your wife DDO? The forum name is new...

E.

Best regards,

E.
    The real golden age was dispel's super sayan sorc/monk and Memnir's broccoli posts