Community Member

Default Any advice on F2P thrower Build?

trying to go with a rogue/ranger/bard
    bard for swashbuckler
    pretty new to game so anything helps really

Community Member

Default Call to Soundburst (F2P ranger thrower)

Nerfed in update 42, taking build down. Also don't believe nerfs to pure classes due to multiclassing is healthy for game.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 09-26-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Community Member

Ty I'll look into it

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    Use dex to hit, strength for damage, and charisma for spell casting and turn undead
    hmm that does not sound too elegant. can it be streamlined somehow?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    hmm that does not sound too elegant. can it be streamlined somehow?
    At level 17 with brutal throwing it is strength to hit and damage, and with divine might charisma boosts strength.

So really, as it levels it turns into a max charisma build, that also will have good strength. Dex drops out, and strength becomes less important than charisma.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 09-14-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuffy_s View Post
    Any advice on F2P thrower Build?
    Don't do it?

No, sorry - okay, first, understand that Throwers really shine only in late-Heroic and Epic play. Before then, in Heroics, and especially in lower-mid level, throwers are typically underpowered, so expect to use a bow/x-bow for those levels. So if you're not going to Epics, there is not a lot point (if you're going to hang at 20, they're not bad).

Note also that throwers only use 1 weapon, so in their offhand they can carry almost anything - and some of the effects on that weapon will carry over to their thrown weapon!

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Thrower-Builds

Iirc, haunt the AH for any weapon "Seeker of Tendon Slice" (altho' "of Doubleshot" is a (distant) second best).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Don't do it?

No, sorry - okay, first, understand that Throwers really shine only in late-Heroic and Epic play. Before then, in Heroics, and especially in lower-mid level, throwers are typically underpowered, so expect to use a bow/x-bow for those levels.

Note also that throwers only use 1 weapon, so in their offhand they can carry almost anything - and some of the effects on that weapon will carry over to their thrown weapon!
    The offhand you want isn't any of those in heroics. You probably want nothing main hand on this build in heroics, for Dashing Scoundrel.

After level 8 with Nightforge spike, the thrower I listed does fairly well. After level 10 with improved critical and sniper shot combo'd with some charms and soundburst and some DWS killer/Dashing Scoundrel double shot, it brings a smile to my face.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 09-14-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Yeah, if relying on Swashbuckling enhancements, that takes out the off-hand effects ploy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilomere View Post
    You stack it with minor or lesser freezing ice from a frozen tunic.

After level 8 with Nightforge spike..
    You did read that this is F2P build, right? So that implies F2P gear as well?

Not impossible to farm a Frozen Tunic via Daily Challenge Tokens, but he'd need a toon to do that...

However, good advice for VIP throwers.

Community Member

Ou seems like a good time , I do plan to go into epic lvls and I've seen my low dmg output so just sticking with melee and do switch to bow once in a while , also thanks for the off hand advice will come in handy

Default Not recommended

trying to go with a rogue/ranger/bard
    bard for swashbuckler
    pretty new to game so anything helps really
    Coming from someone that has been playing a lot of thrower builds over the years.

Some of this might not apply if you only plan to run heroic normal content, as you could probably throw a paperclip and do fine in those. My brain is programed to think reaper and elite quests.

1. I am not sure thrower builds are very f2p (no money ever spent) or new player friendly.
    2. They are terrible at lower lvls and really not worth playing until lvl 24 IMO with eveningstar challenge wpns, which are not f2p. Lvl 11 ranger is about the earliest to get improved precise shot, and I guess all ranged build suffer from the curse of not having this in early levels.
    3. All throwers that are not monk (at least 6 levels) shuriken builds are subpar by a lot.
    4. There is almost no f2p named loot throwing weapons. The spike that was mentioned is lvl 8 (it does have a really awesome crit range), but now what to use later on in life or in epics? I guess you could also get someone to make you a decent unbound cannith crafted weapon too.

Since monk is not f2p, I would not play a thrower.

I would look into other ranged possibilities. Maybe a ranger AA or a rogue mech, since these are f2p options with many named weapons to choose from.

Wait for monk to go on sale and buy it maybe. Or you could try some other form of a thrower build, that may or may not be very fun.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The first rule of thrower builds is: don't make anything but a shuriken monk.

But if you're going to make a bard thrower build, then your best options are probably (A) a drow using shuriken since they get shuriken prof and Shuriken Expertise free or (B) Vistani dagger thrower. And since you said F2P, that means option A. Drow is a relatively easy Favor unlock, so it's not too onerous of a pre-req. You don't need anything else to start, although an INT tome for extra skill pts is always nice.

There are some weirder flavor build options - I think I posted a DEX-based halfling bard 20 thrower once just to prove I could - but let's not make an already niche build concept even more gimp than we must.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

i have made both AA and gxbow Mech rog(fav build so far), Thrower i made is Drow but using throwing axes for more base dmg since so far i only have a 47% doubleshot with Bard active boost , and finding returning shurikens hasnt really been going all that well

... and finding returning shurikens hasnt really been going all that well
    They are rare as random-gen, and often expensive on AH.

Best bet might be the decent one that drops regularly in end-reward of the Shan-to-Kor chain.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Shadow_Star

No other named until Lvl 8. Here are your options:

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Shurikens
    Last edited by C-Dog; 09-13-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Snowstar is kinda ridiculous on a drow Swashie. Like Nightforge Spike, you have 11-20 crit range with IC:Thrown, albeit "only" x3 crits instead of x4. OTOH you get extra procs from Shuriken Expertise so it's a reasonable tradeoff.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

15. 09-16-2018, 03:27 PM

16. 09-16-2018, 10:38 PM

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    Don't do it?

No, sorry - okay, first, understand that Throwers really shine only in late-Heroic and Epic play. Before then, in Heroics, and especially in lower-mid level, throwers are typically underpowered, so expect to use a bow/x-bow for those levels. So if you're not going to Epics, there is not a lot point (if you're going to hang at 20, they're not bad).

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Thrower-Builds

Iirc, haunt the AH for any weapon "Seeker of Tendon Slice" (altho' "of Doubleshot" is a (distant) second best).

What he said. With the caveat that from level 15 to 30, thrower builds can be insane. Although seeker or any other affix that can be obtained from other gear (seeker & tendon slice both available on rings, trinkets, wrists, feet, neck, waist from slaver gear). Vampirism is great because by level 24 or so, your base doubles hot should be close to 100%. With boosters, Multitude of Missiles, etc.. getting 300%+ doubleshot is expected. So that is 2d2 is 2d2x2 57% of the time and 2d2x4 43% of the time at 88/89 attacks per minute. That is 3 to 7 average HP coming in per second. Or 180 to 420Hp/min coming in as healing.

So vampirism, paralyze, etc... stuff that you cannot craft or cannot craft without 300+ craft skill is optimal on weapons. Secondary is Named with increased crit profile and/or crit modifier (unless bugged - google "ddo return to sender"). Third and still a decent option is sonic or force (damage effect shard) prefix with bludgeon suffix cannith crafted.

In HC, I recently went from Ranger 13/Rogue 2 DWS/AA with trap skills to 13/2 thrower and the damage increase is insane (if you take into account the 22 AP that any non-death domain cleric/Fvs that wants to live puts into Vistrini for defense). Multishot or EF or (T5 inquis-i forget the name) is either 2 min cooldown or 9x/rest without sacrifice of defense AP. Thrower is18% uptime (multitude of missiles) + 25% uptime (whirling blades T5 vistrini) for a whopping 43% uptime of super-burst with no limit of use/rest. It is a no-brainer. Best combination of survivability and dps in the game. But like Inquis - before level 13, it sucks.