Community Member

Default scimitars become light weapons but....

in swashbuckling do they get the competence bonus of any sort from CORE #2? If not why not?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by valkrei View Post
    in swashbuckling do they get the competence bonus of any sort from CORE #2? If not why not?
    No, because they're not on the list of Swashbuckling weapons. Scimitars are only considered light weapons if you have the level 3 Tempest core enhancement; this qualifies them for the Swashbuckling stance, but if you really want to Swashbuckle with a scimitar, you have to combine with other class(es) which do get crit bonuses.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

No; because swashbuckling doesn't care if the weapon is "light" or not. It is a list of weapons which get the bonuses, which just happen to be finessable weapons. Note that this is not the same as light weapons, even though most of them are also light weapons.

(Light weapons are weapons that give lesser hit penalties in the offhand, finessable weapons are weapons which you can use the weapon finesse feat for dexterity to hit with, it includes all light weapons as well as rapier and unarmed.)
    Selvera: Aasimar Fighter 20/Epic 10; Old and wise fighter.
    Jen: Half Elf Fvs 4; Healer Archer on a TR with friends
    Mayve: Drow Bard 14/Wizard 6/Epic 7; Vampire Enchantress

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post
    No; because swashbuckling doesn't care if the weapon is "light" or not. It is a list of weapons which get the bonuses, which just happen to be finessable weapons. Note that this is not the same as light weapons, even though most of them are also light weapons.

(Light weapons are weapons that give lesser hit penalties in the offhand, finessable weapons are weapons which you can use the weapon finesse feat for dexterity to hit with, it includes all light weapons as well as rapier and unarmed.)
    I just think maybe they should reword or categorize it similar to the Kensei tree which would allow allow flexibility for other options the game represents. In this case if it was not possible to use a scimitar at all I wouldn't even be talking about this. If the game presents an option then give it a fair shake by looking at all aspects effected by it.

A scimitar ~is~ rather swashbuckley. And the damage/crit profile is identical to rapiers. Just sayin, Dev's. :/

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dog View Post
    A scimitar ~is~ rather swashbuckley. And the damage/crit profile is identical to rapiers. Just sayin, Dev's. :/
    I'd like to see scimitars added for Swashbuckler. Then we'd have rather thematic uses for the Brigand's Cutlass, Scoundrel's Cutlass, and others.

I never really understood why rapiers fell under Weapon Finesse feat, but scimitars - which basically have the same stats - do not. Seems like one of those arbitary PnP rules we've been carrying for decades. Is it just because of their weight? But then why do D&D scimitars weigh more than D&D rapiers in the first place if their damage class is identical? There's plenty of thin, light scimitars in the real world.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

My Scimitar character did a life as a Swash (Rgr3 Aasimar, rog something, rest Bard)

It was servicable, but when I used the Sunsword in Strahd raid I could really tell a big uptick in DPS despite not being specced for Piercing weapons.
    Playing (and dying) since Open Beta...

Bard 3 / barb 5 / rgr 12: 32 APs for Focused Wrath (+2 crit multiplier); 24 APs for Adv Sneak Atk + Killer (+1 crit range, +20% Doublestrike when fully stacked); 11 APs for Swashbuckling + Skirmisher; 6 APs to turn scimitars into light weapons. SWF Scimitars become 14-20/x4 weapons with this split.

"But why do that?" you might ask, "when bard 3 / barb 5 using handaxes is already 15-20/x5? Isn't that the better DPS option anyway?" Hey, I'm just saying it can be done, not that it's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Hey, I'm just saying it can be done, not that it's a good idea.
    And you do it well. Not that it's your strongest suit, not by far, but that too. o7

Community Member

No, because they're not on the list of Swashbuckling weapons. Scimitars are only considered light weapons if you have the level 3 Tempest core enhancement; this qualifies them for the Swashbuckling stance, but if you really want to Swashbuckle with a scimitar, you have to combine with other class(es) which do get crit bonuses.
    Not sure if this is an old comment but Scimitars are considered light weapons if you take the SECOND Tempest core enhancement now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zindalee_Aorath View Post
    Not sure if this is an old comment but Scimitars are considered light weapons if you take the SECOND Tempest core enhancement now.
    The date of the post says 2018. So yes, an old quote.

Always check the dates of posts to which you are responding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelonwy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    The release notes themselves are essentially the same as was seen on Lamannia most recently.
    This^, in so many words, is how you say time and feedback on Lamannia are wasted.

Welcome to the forums.

This (ancient) thread was not about whether a scimi was "light" - it can be easily, and has been so for a looong time - the question was whether a scimi was "swashbuckl-able" - and it's NOT. That was the question.

Scimitars are only considered light weapons if you have the level 3 Tempest core enhancement
    You rezzed a 2018 thread to...repeat what I already said?

Umm...okay.

Community Member

Bard 3 / barb 5 / rgr 12: 32 APs for Focused Wrath (+2 crit multiplier); 24 APs for Adv Sneak Atk + Killer (+1 crit range, +20% Doublestrike when fully stacked); 11 APs for Swashbuckling + Skirmisher; 6 APs to turn scimitars into light weapons. SWF Scimitars become 14-20/x4 weapons with this split.

"But why do that?" you might ask, "when bard 3 / barb 5 using handaxes is already 15-20/x5? Isn't that the better DPS option anyway?" Hey, I'm just saying it can be done, not that it's a good idea.
    Mirage at lvl 20 has +2 crit range, while HAxe has no equivalent. But at that point also drop the bard, and pick up 3 rogue for evasion and SDK chainzzzzz.

Probably want to test it to make sure it all works though before reincarnating. Because when you start looking at multi-class-enhancement-feat interaction chains, things tend to break.
    Last edited by Tilomere; 03-04-2023 at 12:03 AM.