Default Gear up my Rogue with me!

Hey everyone. I've been out of the game for quite some time, dusting off a few characters and roaming through my items and I could use a little help, especially with the NEW items that have been released within the last 3 or so updates. So I'm gearing up my rogue! Buuuut I've got some outdated equipment and need to fill in some slots here. The idea of this is mostly to map out my own gear hunt, but I don't know how useful many of the new things are, so If anyone wants to chime in, I'm all ears

First! The rules:
    1. No raid gear or gear from events. I'm not farming up a greensteel again, as great as all that gear is, it's too much time and I just don't care. Did it once, still have my rapiers, done.
    2. Nothing crafted. I'm sorry, Cannith crafting disappointed me, and though I do have the ability to craft ALMOST anything, I neither have the desire nor the time to get collectables.
    3. Nothing random. THIS One is unfortunate, but If it isn't reliably found I can't really do anything about it, sorry.
    4. No "Situationals". I have a feather fall item, I have an underwater action item, haste clickies, spell absorption trinkets, I'm looking for mostly what to wear semi permanently

Next, what am I?
    Elven Rogue, level 12, planning for level 14, then worrying about the future after that.
    Dexterity main, intelligence second. Purpose is a damage dealer who handles traps, decent survivability. I solo most content with a hireling "HP Battery", Duo all content with a buddy of mine.

Priorities (Probably in this order?):
    + Dex item
    + Int Item
    + Con Item
    + Search/Spot
    + Disable (Or not, I can swap this out when needed)
    + Hide/MoveSilent
    + Dodge
    Deception
    Sneak attack +
    Assassinate +
    Fortification
    Speed Item
    Vitality

Gonna go physically top to bottom here, Head to toes.

Head Item
    Minos Legens has been my Go-To for years now, It serves its purpose pretty well.
    The new Disciples of Rage has the "Mask of the Vulkoorim" that I may want to look at later. Either way, I need to change this out to something probably...

Goggles
    Tharnes, done. I know, no raid loot, but I already have these so I'm wearing them

Necklace
    Oh man, the only good thing I can spot is the Ward-Inscribed Pendant, but that's already overlapping a bunch of things. I really can't figure out what to get here

Trinket
    Sustaining Symbiont. Various reasons, it allows me to wear two pieces of gear, Polycurse daggers and the Parasitic Breastplate. Not really married to them though so I may change.

Armor
    This is tough, I've been wearing the Snakeskin Vest for a while now, but it's time to upgrade. I have it, so I'm planning on wearing the Parasitic Breastplate. There's not much at this range that fits my criteria and I'll be using Polycurse daggers so I'll have the Sustaining Symbiont anyway

Cape
    Here's where I'd put my greensteel cloak. IF I HAD ONE! I don't alas, so I've been mostly using this as a Random item spot, or the mantle of the worldshaper for it's spell absorption. I really need help with this one. I hear the Crucible drops the Ghost-Waking Cloak, but **** I hate that quest.

Bracers
    Tharne's Bracers, But I'm gonna try and get my hands on Armbands of the Silenced Ones (level 13)

Gloves
    I forget what I usually have here. But looking at a list of named items, I think I might have Gloves of Gnoll Hide somewhere in my TR bank... Maybe Backstabber's Gloves from UGH Crucible?

Ring1
    I wonder if I have the Ring of Shadows (Level 14) somewhere. If not, I'm gonna try and get it

Ring2
    I have... NO idea... I might have the Ring of Lies, but if I don't I'm not going to farm for it. Ring of Unknown Origins is fairly decent here

Belt
    Plateshard Belt looks tempting, it's a good con belt but there's alot I WONT use on it... I might need to take a dex item here and change my bracers out?

Shoes
    I don't see anything much better than the Flightfoot Greaves I got recently.

Weapons
    Polycurse Daggers. I love these things

+ Dex item (Armbands of the silenced ones +6)
    + Int Item (Ring of Unknown Origins+5)
    + Con Item (Plateshard Belt +6, Sustaining Symbiont Exceptional 1)
    + Search/Spot (Tharne's Goggles: +15/+15)
    + Disable (Gloves of Gnoll Hide +13)
    + Hide/MoveSilent (Ring of Shadows (Level 14) +13/+13)
    + Dodge (Armbands of the silenced ones +5, Shadow's Footsteps Insightful 2)
    Deception (Polycurse Daggers)
    Sneak attack + (Tharne's Goggles: +5)
    Assassinate +
    Fortification (Minos Legens +100, Sustaining Symbiont Exceptional 10)
    Speed Item (Flightfoot Greaves +15)
    Vitality (Sustaining Symbiont +30)

So that's everything on my shopping list except for Assassinate +. I can live without that, but I know i'm not optimizing... Am I on the right track here though?
    Last edited by TheBlueFox; 04-20-2018 at 03:10 PM.
    Wisdom is a liquor store. Tastes so sweet, just wait till you wake up in the morning.

Community Member

So many restrictions... My best guess would be to get 5 items from ravenloft for the set bonus. They have good stats too. Check ddowiki for the items and locations.

Giantcraft or black dragonscale armor from gianthold are really nice at that level. Giantcraft is cheap and can be used at level 10. Once you hit level 16 healing amp dragontouched armor is better for soloing. I hope you added 60% healing amp to one of your greensteel rapiers

How good is your UMD? can you reliably cast heal/raise dead/greater restoration scrolls? A Planar Gird, from Xorian Cypher, might help with that. Crafted UMD items and some charisma are nice too.

I highly suggest getting 400 silver flame favor for the potions. They are the best thing you can have for survivability at heroic levels.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

The restrictions i've placed have two reasons:

1. I don't want to spend time gaining Scales, Twigs, and other macguffins for an item I'm going to use for only a few levels. Afterall I'm not going to STAY level 14 for any longer than it takes me to get to 15, and then to 16, etc. Greensteel is an exception because of how useful it is for so many levels, but unfortunately the time it takes to farm up that item is more than I'm willing to spend.

2. I don't want to repeat the same levels over and over for too long, it gets on my nerves.

I have a planar gird and my UMD is maxed every level with a decent charisma. I can cast raise deads, not like I get too much use of them in solo though, but I can. I don't use any crafted UMD items, the cannith crafting is so utterly tedious with those collectables that are needed.

I'll have to see what the 5 set ravenloft items are, I've seen bits and pieces of them, but not looked as a full set
    Wisdom is a liquor store. Tastes so sweet, just wait till you wake up in the morning.

Community Member

Here's a little list:

Armor: Giantcraft leather armor. Buy it for 10 giant relics from the giantcraft vendor in gianthold. If you don't have the relics, ask around or check the auction house.

Belt: Braided Cutcord (Belt): Quality Dodge +1%, Blurry, Dexterity +6, Quality Dexterity +1, Green Augment Slot, Silent Avenger Set (Heroic) — The Final Vintage

or Vistani Fighter's Sash (Belt): Stunning +6, Vertigo +6, Vitality +19, Deadly +5, Yellow Augment Slot, Adherent of the Mists Set (Heroic) — Into the Mists

Cloak: Mantle of Fury (Cloak): Constitution +6, Raging Resilience, Doublestrike 6%, Dodge +6%, Green Augment Slot, Adherent of the Mists Set (Heroic) — Into the Mists — Fresh-baked Dreams

Bracer: Lore-Fueled Packbanner (Bracers): Insightful Constitution +2, Physical Sheltering +14, Insightful Doublestrike 2%, Druidic Stoneshape, Green Augment Slot, Adherent of the Mists Set (Heroic) — An Invitation to Dinner

Boots: Flightfoot Greaves (Boots): Freedom of Movement, Speed +15, Natural Armor +6, Reflex Save +5, Yellow Augment Slot, Adherent of the Mists Set (Heroic) — Death House

gloves: Crumbling Gloves (Gloves): Insightful Dexterity +2, Quality Intelligence +1, Shatter +6, Insightful Physical Sheltering +6, Blue Augment Slot, Adherent of the Mists Set (Heroic) — Oath of Vengeance

Ring1: Ring of Nightfall (Ring): Insightful Intelligence +2, Insightful Deadly +2, Reflex Save +5, Physical Sheltering +14, Green Augment Slot, Adherent of the Mists Set (Heroic) — Fresh-baked Dreams
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Oooh thanks for including the where for those. That does look nice.

DDOwiki must be still in need of an update, I don't think a few of those were listed when I looked, or maybe I just missed them. Hmm..

hey Blue, this is a tough request since crafting beats out so much stuff.

This is my stuff on my main & they are a very easy farm:
    I use frozen tunic ML 3 for armor all heroics
    bracer of wind ML 3–>swap at 12 for upgraded with slot used (blurry, dodge)
    raven eye set: glove, goggles, 7-19. Very nice for rogues (spot search dex etc) & stacking +3 damage
    I use a slavers belt (armor piercing/quality INT, hide I think) that then becomes my necklace at around 12-13! (I am So clever...) Run through slavers heroic when at cap and then you have an item!
    best boots are those sick Death House FoM ones, ML 10. I haven’t pulled them yet...so I do Marshwalker set until level 13–>speed boots with FF
    Ring of Venom/Necklace of Venom ML7 set until about 12-13, then I swap
    Ring of Stalker at around 12-13, fully upgraded
    Cloak of Invisiibility with heavy fort, 9-19.

Lowbie levels is lootgen & pots

various crafted stuff for con/hp, dex, int, deadly but you will need named gear. New pack has a deadly helm for example.

Best heroic only rogue assassin is 3 monk/1 fighter splash with vorpal of deception wraps...it is awesome, no need for anything else save for mobs for which I use Barovian wraps
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links. LONG LIVE STEALTH!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

how do you possibly manage getting so many collectables of a single type? I looked up a guide about it and I swear I want to just.. do unspeakable things.

Running quests I try to just grab every collectable I pass, I even have one of the giant collectable pouches that holds 1000 of like 150 different types, and I pass all my collectables to one character every once in a while. Even still it's not enough.

Frozen tunic, is that from challenges? And just for the vorpal ice trap effect? Wouldn't like... just a vorpal weapon serve the same purpose? seems like an odd choice for an armor.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueFox View Post
    how do you possibly manage getting so many collectables of a single type? I looked up a guide about it and I swear I want to just.. do unspeakable things.

Running quests I try to just grab every collectable I pass, I even have one of the giant collectable pouches that holds 1000 of like 150 different types, and I pass all my collectables to one character every once in a while. Even still it's not enough.

Frozen tunic, is that from challenges? And just for the vorpal ice trap effect? Wouldn't like... just a vorpal weapon serve the same purpose? seems like an odd choice for an armor.
    the Frozen tunic is from the cannith challenges. Its proc is based on a percentage, not a vorpal. For melees and ranged toons, it is the best cheap DPS trash beater. There is not a big difference between outfits and light armor in heroics so I just use the tunic for the cc. Oonce they freeze, a rogue ends them instantly due to the helpless condition. A must have!

You do not need so many collectables for cannith crafting, especially if you just make one good set like I do.
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Well the percentage is 5%, and 20 on a d20 is 5%, so I kinda equate them. I found an ML2 vorpal dagger (This friggin game, I swear) so I use that for the most part, just upgrade daggers to better vorpals as i go.

How do you only make one set of cannith crafted gear? The benefits are level scaled, and once you put a level on a gear, you can't just... upgrade the level... can you?

look up the http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Utilitarian_Necklace

gives you con, prr and some extra fort

Hmmm Con 7 on its own is nice, the rest is a good kicker. Yeah I'll hunt that down

Well the percentage is 5%, and 20 on a d20 is 5%, so I kinda equate them. I found an ML2 vorpal dagger (This friggin game, I swear) so I use that for the most part, just upgrade daggers to better vorpals as i go.

How do you only make one set of cannith crafted gear? The benefits are level scaled, and once you put a level on a gear, you can't just... upgrade the level... can you?
    Don't equate vorpal and freezing ice. They are not the same. They proc differently. Yes, both will average at 5% but with both going then you have something from your gear hitting mobs at almost 10%. Add to that manslayer from stalker ring (which is a vorpal proc) and you have a nice setup boosting your CC.

For CC--some nutheads here craft stuff for every 5 levels, like level 4, 10, 13 or so, 18 etc. I just craft one set to wear around levels 11-13, changing into the pieces slowly (it is tempting to do it at level 13 since the insightful boosts on ability scores go up 1 point as do the regular ones, so that is +2 on an ability). So you can choose to wear the stuff at level 13 or 11.

Oh this is just garbage...

I've ransacked the Fresh Baked Dreams end chest at the hill with the Satyr on THREE SEPARATE CHARACTERS looking for the Ring of Nightfall and all I got was a single Rune Sigil belt.

Ugh, gonna have to keep at it... come on and drop.

Oh this is just garbage...

I've ransacked the Fresh Baked Dreams end chest at the hill with the Satyr on THREE SEPARATE CHARACTERS looking for the Ring of Nightfall and all I got was a single Rune Sigil belt.

Ugh, gonna have to keep at it... come on and drop.
    I feel for you. Can’t get the fleetfoot greaves to drop out of Death House. I usually do not farm stuff but I like the quest and it is fast

To the op,
    Only thing I gear my rogue with is some cannith crafted goggles
    Two pair, one for spot search and other for disable open
    Made at level 7 and level 13
    Best and only thing you need
    And it works with all rogue tr

I would invest the time into that much,
    It has payed off big time

Everything else you can just run rng
    Kil Glory
    30 alchemist
    HOW