Default Build Request - PDK Bard Cannith Challenge Farmer

I'm planning to farm up some mats, have a spare character slot, and also need a bit of mule storage space. A new character sounds like a good idea. Where do I begin?

Reading around on the forums, it appears as though I could have some fun with a level of barbarian added to warchanter and swashbuckler for great running speed. If I don't really have to grab any additional gear for the build, that would be great. I've seen some good PDK bard builds, but nothing specific to challenge farming. If I'm going to start doing challenges, I might as well be optimized to grab mats quickly so I can get back to enjoying regular questing with my main characters. Thanks!
    "Swords will cut you wide open!" - Trip Fisk

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcimerist View Post
    I've seen some good PDK bard builds, but nothing specific to challenge farming...
    Like this thread? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5030817

No consensus on "single best build", so read/skim the whole thing and pick and choose.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...allenge-Farmer

There's a couple of PDK bard builds in there, I think. It's an old thread, though, so there's probably better options now.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

I would go aasimar monk, maybe 2 ranger 13 monk or 3 ranger 12 monk.
    Save a feat (Twf), monk speed, sprint boost, abundant step, quite good aoe and single target dps.

Or warlock, deep gnome seems most useful extra lvl, and you may also get 2 barb lvls for speed and sprint boost

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    It's an old thread, though, so there's probably better options now.
    What new options might there be for someone who only has PDK, SDK, and ML iconic; and does not have FvS, aasimar, dragonborn, or gnome? I do have 32-point and the level 7 veteran. Using one of the three iconics I have might be best, since it sounds as though starting a challenge farmer at level 15 is best.

I have three empty character slots, so I might as well build a farmer. Bracers of Wind are on my TR shopping list.

What new options might there be for someone who only has PDK, SDK, and ML iconic; and does not have FvS, aasimar, dragonborn, or gnome?
    What makes PDK bard shine IMO is the tier-5 WC + Swashbuckler combo, but that requires some gear-farming / -crafting first; at least a decent "short sword+light armor+buckler" combo to start.

So it depends: how much time / effort are you willing to invest into gearing your Challenge Farmer first? if the answer is "None - get me in there ASAP!" then with your options, I'd probably do some sort of ML caster which could use its Radiance+Combustion gear right off the bat. Fiend Warlock if you've got it, Sun or Fire domain cleric if you don't. I think I posted a ML warlock in that thread I linked.

OTOH, if you say, "I've got a master crafter and can make anything I want!" or "I'm willing to farm any gear I need to make this work!" then your options become a lot more varied & interesting...

EDIT: FYI, I just posted a PDK WC build to that other thread.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 04-26-2018 at 11:57 AM.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

What makes PDK bard shine IMO is the tier-5 WC + Swashbuckler combo, but that requires some gear-farming / -crafting first; at least a decent "short sword+light armor+buckler" combo to start.
    EDIT: FYI, I just posted a PDK WC build to that other thread.
    Thanks for posting that! I really love your builds! I do have the level 12 and 16 Cutthroat Smallblade, Duelist's Leathers, and Swashbuckler sitting in the bank. The characters I made those for ended up not needing them. Adherent's Pendant would cover some Wizardry and Devotion, but there's probably something better out there. I should see if I have any named BtA items which have Evocation or Enchantment on them. I do have Cunning Trinket for +1 Enchantment and stacking +50 SP. This PDK bard build might be do-able for me.

I have not unlocked Favored Soul yet. 300 favor away. How important is that level of FvS? I'm seeing it splashed into quite a few builds. (My barbarian just hit level 21, has slightly over 2200 total favor, and hasn't done anything in Eveningstar yet. FvS might not be too far out of reach.)

I should see if I have any named BtA items which have Evocation or Enchantment on them.
    I'm out of the loop when it comes to the latest gear; but I used to use Shard of Xoriat, which has +1 Exceptional CHA and +2 Enchant DCs. Alternatively there's Blasting Chime: Anthem, Evo DCs, and Sonic / Cacophonic Guard.
    I have not unlocked Favored Soul yet. 300 favor away. How important is that level of FvS?
    It's for Divine Presence: "You gain an Insight bonus to melee damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to 1/2 of your Charisma modifier." This stacks with the DC bonus from Cormyrian Knight Training to your Warchanter freezing DCs, so it's a significant boost to your DPS. That said, if you're just running CR20 Challenges, you'll probably be okay without it.

It's for Divine Presence: "You gain an Insight bonus to melee damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to 1/2 of your Charisma modifier." This stacks with the DC bonus from Cormyrian Knight Training to your Warchanter freezing DCs, so it's a significant boost to your DPS. That said, if you're just running CR20 Challenges, you'll probably be okay without it.
    Your awesome character builds have made some of my old characters playable (and fun!) again, so I put forth the effort and finally unlocked FvS last night in order to do this build.

I have access to these items:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Pansophic_Circlet (Slotted with Heavy Fortification)
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Hypnotic_Pendant (Empty Green Slot)
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Shard_of_Xoriat
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Cutthro...ade_(Level_12)
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Swashbuckler_(Level_12)
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Duelist...ers_(Level_12)
    ML15 Belt with +7 CON and +7 Stunning

I would lose the +5 Deflection AC bonus from the PDK starter necklace by swapping these in, but I'm unsure how important AC is on this build.

I'm seeing other possible places to tweak, since I don't need the STR from the PDK starter gloves or bracers. If the 3% Doublestrike on the PDK starter bracers doesn't stack with the 3% Doublestrike on the Swashbuckler, the bracers could definitely be swapped out. I'm sure I could track down better goggles and still be able to have Blindness Immunity, perhaps sticking an augment for it on the Hypnotic Pendant. I could probably find a better Resistance item than the PDK starter cloak as well, perhaps a Ghost-Waking Cloak to consolidate Resistance and CHA in order to free up a ring - where I could slot the Ring of the Buccaneer to bring back a bit of Deflection AC with +1 Luck and some DEX. If DEX goes there, perhaps I could find alternate boots with Feather Fall and Speed on them.

OTOH, if you say, ... "I'm willing to farm any gear I need to make this work!" then your options become a lot more varied & interesting...
    This. What kind of gear options would be interesting? As seen in my previous paragraph, the starter PDK gear is like a sweater which starts unraveling when the first loose thread gets pulled out. I don't have Ravenloft, and am missing a couple of newer adventure packs, so seeing a variety of alternate gear set options would be great! If an efficient challenge farmer typically needs to stay at level 15/16, perhaps I shouldn't strive to make this character so fun to play that I end up questing with it and suddenly realize I'm at level 23 with it. However, fun is why I play DDO, so go ahead and suggest fun gear sets to tempt me!