View Poll Results: Did Epic Destinies Kill PVP?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Too Op!

4 19.05%
  • No - Everything is just fine as is.

17 80.95%

Question Epic destinies killed pvp!!!...?

If possible, REMOVE all Epic Destiny stuff and make pvp basically level 20 and under again.

My Theory is simple, Epic destinies and all its greatness, was just far too much for the already somewhat unbalanced pvp we currently had.
    To combat this problem, I feel as though Disabling Epic destinies in pvp would be the most widely beneficial change that any pvper, be them new to pvp or pvping since '06, could ask for.

That's the time when it was most popular, and in my honest opinion, as balanced as its ever been! Though there were still slight issues, (nothing game breaking, for the most part) Its nothing like whats expected today in terms of the different types of epic destiny one-shots and other op stuff that insta-kills (Certain Epic feats) I really feel, no, In fact I Know that, This is the reason for the current state and condition of pvp today, and is what completely drained everything out of pvp and made everyone quit altogether... The Introduction of Epic Destinies to pvp.

Not saying Epic destinies are a bad thing, no, not at all, In fact I love em, and they really did make the Questing aspect SOOoo much more fun, but the downside was that it completely destroyed PvP, and I'm pretty confident in saying it wasn't an intentional thing, but the fix seems simple enough, or at least to me and my oh so very tiny and very limited understanding and knowledge of game development and that's an understatement to say the least, however, if possible just Disable Epic Destinies and most Active Epic Feats, and let the PvPers brawl out like we're back in '06!

What Do You Think? I'd love to hear what any long time pvpers think on this possible solution to revitalizing pvp and restoring it to its former greatness, that is in the process of being lost only to time.

Do You Think Epic Destinies Killed PVP? Yes or No - Comment below

PvP was dead in 2006.

It only existed as high level jerks ganking newbies in the Lobster.

Let it stay dead. Any and all time that the developers put into PvP is wasted.
    Kobold sentient jewel still hate you.

3. 03-27-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    PvP was dead in 2006.

It only existed as high level jerks ganking newbies in the Lobster.

Let it stay dead. Any and all time that the developers put into PvP is wasted.
    Yes

2014 DDO Players Council

Just have you and your opponent turn off your destiny. I.e., switch to a destiny you don't have any points spent in. Problem solved!

The benefit of this is that you can do PvP without destinies, and those who prefer can still do them with.

Your proposal is to take options away from other people, to "give" you an option you already have.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Our final update of 2014 will extend the level cap to 30, which is intended to be DDO’s “permanent” level cap

I don't think a single iota of development time needs to be spent in PvP*. It is what it is.

*and looking at the history of PvP, seems the Devs agree.
    Exit, pursued by a bear. ~ William Shakespeare (stage direction from The Winter's Tale)

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

PvP has never been the focus of players' nor devs' efforts. It's an optional side-mode for screwing around in the tavern while waiting for your raid party to fill (IME). There's more than enough issues which need fixing in the important parts of DDO without wasting resources on PvP.

Besides, PvP just magnifies the gross power imbalances in DDO, of which EDs are only one portion. Will you also disable past-life feats? What about guildship bonuses? How about gear?

If you really care about making PvP "fair" just force everyone to make new level 1 toons to fight nekkid in the pit. It still won't be balanced but at least it will be fair amirite?
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Lies! It was millennials that killed PvP.
    No one in the world ever gets what they want
    And that is beautiful
    Everybody dies frustrated and sad
    And that is beautiful

No!

Ddo is based on a cooperative game, not a pvp game, hence there have always been and always will be balance issues between all the classes.
    to make matters worse, due to turning D&D into a video game with a pretty old engine, there will be advantages to certain playstyles.
    Also what about past lives? gear? Reaper points? (remember, the cores work outside of reaper) Power creep?
    There is far more at play then simply epic destinies.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

Pvp has died since 2006, i remember back in 2011 the lobster would be filled at all times! I remember my noob self being beaten by cap players and would scream at my screen lol.

Epic destinies help builds in the endgame legendary content as it can become fairly difficult. Maybe when entering a pvp area Epic Destinies are disabeld therefore it is down to gear and enhancements.

However, Epic destinies is the icing on our cakes making our builds strong and unique. Its fun one shotting my level 30 friends in the tavern's and without Epic Destinies i would probably not be able to.
    ~Started Playing DDO - 6th June 2011 (Joined Forums In 2014)
    ~Guild - The Matrix (Orien)
    ~Orien Raiding Discord - Click Here

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by BandVP View Post
    Pvp has died since 2006, i remember back in 2011 the lobster would be filled at all times! I remember my noob self being beaten by cap players and would scream at my screen lol.

Epic destinies help builds in the endgame legendary content as it can become fairly difficult. Maybe when entering a pvp area Epic Destinies are disabeld therefore it is down to gear and enhancements.

However, Epic destinies is the icing on our cakes making our builds strong and unique. Its fun one shotting my level 30 friends in the tavern's and without Epic Destinies i would probably not be able to.
    Back when Dark Age of Camelot was a thing they had Battlegrounds and like they had one that was 5-9 level players and that was probably the most active one, just like in Diablo, low level dueling is the most common structured one. However, in DDO, with TRs...I don't know there is any good thing to do lol

Community Member

Organize a PvP league with rules?

Nothing stopping you from fixing the problems yourself. PvP has always been at best an afterthought, your lucky its there at all. These days most of the PvP pits are empty already.

If you want to PvP in the game, make up some rules and find likeminded people to abide by them with you.

Here's a really simple one for you:

*must role a fresh iconic
    *can choose stats, but must stay within the iconic's original class
    *no outside gear allowed, must use the starter sets you get for hitting lvl 15

Voila!

Community Member

PVP is not dead. You are participating in it right now. It's call the forums.

DDO has pvp?
    Bought my first dungeon master's guide in 1992. My favourite part of ddo is coffee and slayers

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmoustakas View Post
    DDO has pvp?
    In extremely limited fashion(as it should be); there are "PVP brawling" areas in taverns. Simple walk in, and you are in PvP mode and can fight other players within the brawling area. It was created as, at best, and afterthought; and that's the way it should be.

Games that are very PvP-centric can be extremely offputing, not to mention the constant nerfs to maintain class balance. If DDO expanded it's PvP capabilities and began balancing classes to cater to the PvP crowd, a lot of vets would pull up stakes and leave. I know I would.

Quote Originally Posted by systemshaker1941 View Post
    In extremely limited fashion(as it should be); there are "PVP brawling" areas in taverns. Simple walk in, and you are in PvP mode and can fight other players within the brawling area. It was created as, at best, and afterthought; and that's the way it should be.

Games that are very PvP-centric can be extremely offputing, not to mention the constant nerfs to maintain class balance. If DDO expanded it's PvP capabilities and began balancing classes to cater to the PvP crowd, a lot of vets would pull up stakes and leave. I know I would.
    Looking at his joindate (2011) i assume he has noticed the brawling area and lfms for it, the question might have been retorical.

I agree, it should never be a focus, aion used it as a gimick, to have a huge astroid filled void for pvp (you have wings and an extremely short fligh time to get around), then they came back on their word and made the entire game pvp.
    Since the only reliable way to get gear was pvp points, people at cap started to grind the other faction's lowbies.
    During the first 2 years the merged servers till only a few remained where 1 faction ruled 90+%, so as a newbie you got killer over and over trying to reach a quest, then, due to the mergers, there was little opposition.
    (This was the sittuation when i left, it might have changed.)

The changes in pvp to take place everywhere slowly killed it in the west, when people started running their own servers they noticed all the problems the game had (making the players depend on abyss poins as a reliable source of gear and the pvp in lowby area) were easilly fixed with a flick of a button in the server settings .

Made the game loose even more players....
    I play a guy with a two-hander not just in this game, but in every game that has 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-mann View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but then can you make 2hf NOT suck so much compared to 2wf or swf?
    8 pages in, that train has already sailed. The dead horse is canned into cat food by now.

No, OP makes PvP better, more fun. OP is optional to both sides The hypothesis is incorrect. The real reason PvP is dead is there is no queue and no reward. The queue randomizes teams, making things unpredictable and so they can't be rigged. The reward is what you fight for, and get if you win. No reward makes the fight less fun, you don't lose as much, some time, but then without any reward its just a waste of time to begin with. PvP games are fun when you WIN rewards and do not have predictable enemies!

Add a queue and experience reward and PvP will probably turn into 24/7 active, as this game's combat engine is just great, and OP is huge fun in PvP (off course they'd need to break up levels, something like 1-4 for beginners, 5-8 etc etc to keep matches fair. Level 30 teams against level 1 teams isn't gonna be too interesting).

Think about the PvP games you play. Would they be fun without the reward they usually give?

Would they be as much fun if you had to go around asking people to fight? Or if the fights where predictable, instead of randomized by the queue?

Epic destinies would only make PvP better. But nothing will ever fix PvP until and unless it has a decent queue system for setting up teams and so players don't have to even lfm, ask, or any of that, and so they have a reason to try to win more, a prize to battle over, the reward. Experience points would work best in a game with 150 PLs, and one of the longest grinds in the MMORPG gaming industry. It would help occupy a lot of time while toons get caught up, and there is a lot of catching up to do. They could toss in a random magic item too, or a named item for tournaments, that involve ratings and time periods. For now, just adding a queue and experience reward would be enough to invigorate and bring this potential giant up and to life.
    (DDO PVP PVE 24/7 options options come check us out better then ever!!!) = (+) Sales
    (DDO PVE only, 10k isn't required, no need to TR 150 times, don't worry) = (-) Scary
    Live large, you are awesome, you are here, you are happening! Sincerely, Proton