Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DrawingGuy View Post
    I've thought long and hard about fitting Nystul's Mystical Defense - 100 HP and 40 MRR is no small thing, but then I thought about what I died to the most:
    - Horrid Wilting from Fear Reapers is untyped, and would get no benefit from more MRR. Only bags of HP can save you from this, which the 100 HP would help on... but is that worth 100 MP?
    - Necro Damage spells -- this is why I'm keen on the 3 AP spend into Vistani as that is 25% neg absorb to counter this rather than Nystul's.
    - Force burst and other non-Shield blocked force spells -- though sadly another thing not helped by MRR
    - Rays. Many of these spells have no save, so are guaranteed to shoot your face. However it is very rare to have these on bosses, so I find CC/QP to be an acceptable option to handle these.

There is no question it would help, but if one were to be picked, I think Prowess wins. However there is always the option of both. Though eating into your Fort I think is a mistake - you're going to get crit quite a lot with only 100ish fort, and I think that will lead to more deaths than spells do currently. Instead of changing armor to get Ghostly, drop your Endless Night augment and slot a Ghostbane. 202% fort and 9 saves is better imo than an augment that only randomly helps with trash killing (which is not something you struggle with really anyways).

Another option for getting MRR is to go with the Echo of Ravenkind trinket and slot 45 sheltering on the Slavers, then using some dodge boots. If you truly want to avoid the usage of Haste pots/clickies, there is always Boots of Blessed Travels. Those would give you speed and FOM at the cost of the 7 DEX or Ins Combat. The only real loss of that setup would be the 61 HAMP and 7 WIS, but feel those would be smaller losses overall than the cloak/LGS switchup.
    My plan was to swap to Prowess every time before I used an action boost, and then back to Nystul's; since Prowess is sustained outside of the sentient weapon, it'd be almost identical, but with the increased MRR cap. If I find that I'm getting crit at all by mobs that are not Beast Mark/Infernal Pact/etc, I'll just go back to Legendary Disciple of the Dawn with a Ghostbane augment; no harm no foul there. I'd lose 5 Hide and Endless Night doing this, but that's negligible compared to an otherwise loss of practicality. Echo of Ravenkind is something I may very well eventually incorporate, though it appears to be bugged in several ways atm. I currently run Legendary Flightfoot Greaves on my aasimar (saves me blinding speed and grants FoM), but that wouldn't solve the dodge problem if some other gear were shuffled. I'm in too much of a farming mindset to think too heavily about gear atm - amber temple is life I'll reply back with my thoughts whenever I eventually decide to throw things around again. Going to take a lot of these things into account and see how they ultimately fair versus the setup I've been currently running.

As a side note, I'm relatively certain that I'll have reaper wings in at least 4-5 days, gonna keep endlessly grinding

Quote Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
    Insightful Deadly from Legendary Ring of Nightfall stacks with KTA; I tested this a month or so ago. Static target, no vulnerability stacks, and deliberately scaled down the amount of total Melee Power I had to pinpoint a difference. Both tests with and without the Insightful Deadly had the same amount of Intelligence from KTA. The damage does indeed stack with each other; this, with the Intelligence boost, makes it an extremely strong ring slot.
    Oh wow, you just blew my mind. I had not tested, I had been going off forum posts where the universal consensus seemed to be dmg did not stack but tactics did. That ring suddenly looks way way better.

Looks like I'll be farming ravenloft more.
    Last edited by Kodwraith; 02-28-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    Kodraith / Xanxibar / Xinibar / Lensgrinder :: Lava Divers of Khyber :: I'm a monk. I hit things; it's what I do.

Community Member

Hi i love my monk (Aobhiel is a halfling monkcher) however i am in the process of building a aasimar pure monk
    how well would this build work as aasimar?
    cheers
    vast
    Main:- Clerivast - 3rd life - 30 Cleric, Alt:- Aobhiel - 3rd life - 30, 12 Monk , 6 Ranger, 2 Fighter
    Alt:- Vastano 3rd life 30 Monk
    Member of Imperial Assassins of Argo.

The build and gearing is not dependent on race, though note that his AP splits is with 11 free Racials from past lives as are mine. You would need to make adjustments if you don't have that.

Half-Orc: Symbiont takes this for the 20% helpless damage. It is about going all-in on trash DPS.

Aasimar: This race gives DCs from being WIS based, Heal Amp, self healing with racial LOH, and either survival with 10% HP or DPS with free vuln stacking.

Human: Humans get the same DCs as any WIS race due to 1 core + 3 Action Boost to WIS, Heal Amp, extra feat, extra skill points.

Elf: Percentage based Accuracy and DEX for damage. Add in the dragonmark for +5 Hide which has synergy with Ethereal and a displacement SLA, and it makes a nice DPS boost along with a survival boost for those that are not loaded with displacement clickies. Elf would be more accurate in CE stance than someone in Precision stance allowing for defenses without the DPS loss to grazing hits. Lastly if you do a 1 Rogue / 1 FVS splash type build, the auto-find traps is awesome.

Half-Elf: If you don't need the displacement or the trap finding, half-elf is even better than elf as it gives HAMP, the +3 WIS from ABs, and some interesting Dilettante options (Rogue will give up to 3d6 SA, Ranger can give you 10% offhand to bring you to 100% outside of Wind, Cleric can let you use Heal scrolls and Raise/Res with little to no UMD along with another +1 WIS option, Fighter can give +2 tactics)

Human used to be heads and shoulders above other races for Monks - between the feat, getting +4 WIS cheaply, and the old 20% damage stacking with Haste action boosts due to racial ABs being unique, Humans gave you full DCs and superior DPS with little AP spending and a feat cherry on top. Now that racial Action Boost uniqueness has shared timers and even counters for similar types, that superior power was lost. Then there is the fact that you can earn free racial APs, meaning that what a race tree can give you actually matters rather than just base race features which was Human's shining point.

Any race will have its pros and cons. No matter what you pick, you can get something useful out of the tree, so it's more of a question of "what do you want?" rather than "what is best?". I personally favor Aasimar, but I also have racial PLs to let me snag all cores and get the Ascendant bond cheaply. For those that have no free racial APs, it does start to go back to what has the strongest base racial bonuses with not being able to afford going into the tree deeply. Human still has that cake with the feat and skill points with 6 AP giving +4 wis and an action boost (which can keep your Prowess boost rolling in longer quests), though the Aasimar self healing and WIS only costs 7 AP.
    Pinc Punch - Unarmed Monk (Uber Completionist) // Porc the Orc - Paladin // Thunderborn - Warlock // Imustbe Emo - PewPew Rogue // Aquamine Artifact - Crafting Artificer (shelved)

This looks very appealing, thanks for posting it. Would you suggest someone attempt it who has 0/11 racial ap's? If so, please mention where you would make cuts in AP's. I've seen some Monks recently doing disgusting damage. What's changed recently? Monk dps dominance seems to have gained some REAL traction all of a sudden.
    "You're a Jedi, Harry"

- Gandelf

Quote Originally Posted by Razor_Wit View Post
    This looks very appealing, thanks for posting it. Would you suggest someone attempt it who has 0/11 racial ap's? If so, please mention where you would make cuts in AP's. I've seen some Monks recently doing disgusting damage. What's changed recently? Monk dps dominance seems to have gained some REAL traction all of a sudden.
    If you have 0 rAPs, go human for the extra feat. Allocate your enhancements exactly the same, but don't invest anything into racial. You will have 5 extra points to spend, dump these into Henshin for +10 Melee Power from the second core. My character was just deleted, so I won't be able to log in to update anything substantial in the spreadsheet. However, I'll still reply in here and so forth.

If you have 0 rAPs, go human for the extra feat. Allocate your enhancements exactly the same, but don't invest anything into racial. You will have 5 extra points to spend, dump these into Henshin for +10 Melee Power from the second core. My character was just deleted, so I won't be able to log in to update anything substantial in the spreadsheet. However, I'll still reply in here and so forth.
    So sorry to hear that. Thanks, i'll be watching the thread and perhaps comment on progress.
    "You're a Jedi, Harry"

- Gandelf

Community Member

For the extra feat (if human) - Precision?

Capped my monk recently, missing the raid gear, but I could fill some roles with crafted. But even considering if I had the gear you are using, and racial completionist + the racial PLs I am missing, there is no way I am getting even close to your values in the screenshot. I mean, 68 INT, seriously? I get it that is with swap item on, but I myself am on 60. And 79 CON? Don't know what I miss. I assume you are heavly buffed for that ss, and using some instances/items that are not the normal. 155 hide... guess that is counting the rogue pl active.

Can you post a screenshot of when you just logged in, turned combat expertise on and take the print? Just to know how off I am in my character.

Edit: nevermind, just read above you got deleted. Anyways, can someone do this? I am pretty sure you have some friends who weren't deleted and that are 100% optimized and can post.
    Ex player. This game had it's peak fun in 2011. After that, 2018. The rest is nostalgia from these 2 eras. I'd be lying if I didn't say I had some fun with MotU and in eGH, thought.
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/NethereseDDO

Quote Originally Posted by Ellihor View Post
    Capped my monk recently, missing the raid gear, but I could fill some roles with crafted. But even considering if I had the gear you are using, and racial completionist + the racial PLs I am missing, there is no way I am getting even close to your values in the screenshot. I mean, 68 INT, seriously? I get it that is with swap item on, but I myself am on 60. And 79 CON? Don't know what I miss. I assume you are heavly buffed for that ss, and using some instances/items that are not the normal. 155 hide... guess that is counting the rogue pl active.

Can you post a screenshot of when you just logged in, turned combat expertise on and take the print? Just to know how off I am in my character.

Edit: nevermind, just read above you got deleted. Anyways, can someone do this? I am pretty sure you have some friends who weren't deleted and that are 100% optimized and can post.
    I took the screenshot in reaper, and I had Grim Barricade (no other trees at that time) just about maxed out. +4 con in reaper, with the according PRR and so forth (but no reaper mementos active). 155 Hide was with the Rogue PL active, and I used every reasonable buff (no cookies or Yugo pots) that I'd throw on myself prior to an endfight, which includes Tenser's, Touch the Void Dragon, etc. As I'm currently aasimar (or, was aasimar) with a different general allocation, there's not much I can accurately say for the stats, apart from the gear indicated in the spreadsheet; +2 Long Lasting Supreme Ability Elixirs (store-bought), +2 Potions of Insightful Ability, +7 tomes, and racial completionist were the only miscellaneous bonuses. Unfortunately, everyone I know who has optimized this build (or is almost there) also had their characters deleted. The few that are left are not racial completionist nor fully geared.

My character was just deleted, so...
    well,
    Kinda sorry to hear of your loss
    I mean you come on here posting outrageous numbers
    Then you and your buddies get deleted
    I would say that's suspicious
    Like, not to be believed suspicious

I just got done running a duality monk
    And I saw awesomeness, but not super op,
    Like numbers you've posted
    So I guess it's too late to call shenanigans
    Del.
    If you others want to see some real numbers,
    Check out theory crafting the celestial monk
    I still got my toon
    Kil Glory
    30 alchemist
    HOW
    Sarlona

I took the screenshot in reaper, and I had Grim Barricade (no other trees at that time) just about maxed out. +4 con in reaper, with the according PRR and so forth (but no reaper mementos active). 155 Hide was with the Rogue PL active, and I used every reasonable buff (no cookies or Yugo pots) that I'd throw on myself prior to an endfight, which includes Tenser's, Touch the Void Dragon, etc. As I'm currently aasimar (or, was aasimar) with a different general allocation, there's not much I can accurately say for the stats, apart from the gear indicated in the spreadsheet; +2 Long Lasting Supreme Ability Elixirs (store-bought), +2 Potions of Insightful Ability, +7 tomes, and racial completionist were the only miscellaneous bonuses. Unfortunately, everyone I know who has optimized this build (or is almost there) also had their characters deleted. The few that are left are not racial completionist nor fully geared.
    Ok thanks. Don't have a duality yet. Can I except damage to like double with it?
    Ex player. This game had it's peak fun in 2011. After that, 2018. The rest is nostalgia from these 2 eras. I'd be lying if I didn't say I had some fun with MotU and in eGH, thought.

Awesome dps and awesome build. Certainly an end game build that needs a lot of equipment and many past lives, but also impressive.

Thank you so much for sharing it.

In my language I would use a single word to describe your character: "animalico" :-) I've been thinking lately about making a monk's life. I will try your build with my character, although it will not be the same because I have fewer lives and less equipment. But surely it will be fun as well, although less effective than yours

oh I had not read this. I am sorry. So many past lives, so much time spent on the character!

Take this with a grain of salt as I don't know the story behind his toon, but I suspect that the deletion has something to do with a recent post from Cordo and not anything to do with the damage numbers seen in his SS and videos. If true, I think it deserved, but doesn't devalue the effort that went into gearing his toon.

I still have 12 lives left to do on my own toon (9 racial, 3 iconic) and gearing to do -- though that's not that tough with most of it being from Ravenloft. I always planned on doing a "final build" post here, but my playtime is limited and I take breaks from the game to keep it fresh for me, so the addition of PLs has paced my playtime for the last few years. I'll be done someday...

@PMEllihor - Yes, Duality can easily double your damage. Between the base die getting a flat +6 bonus more than doubling the base damage die roll, as well as +2 die from Impact V, it is an amazing weapon. The DPS increase that came with Ravenloft was uneven, but the "winners" would be Monks with Duality + Spite and casters being given near max DCs and Spell pen to every school in a single easily obtained one-handed item. Went from struggling to balance DCs and DPS on my warlock to having everything, and feel that as a bigger power jump than even the huge jump Duality gave monks. But that's digressing the conversation here.

@Razor_Wit - I would still spend AP into the Human tree:
    - 1 AP lets you get an Action boost, which considering the cheapness, is an absolute must. Back in the day of stacking racial/ED (or class) boosts, damage was the only way to go. Now I would suggest Skills during Heroic and Saves during Epic. Skills will help you with UMD while leveling, and is a good thing to have in your pocket until your UMD is up to snuff. Saves in Epics (beyond as a backup set of boosts to keep Prowess and LD bonuses going, which any boost could do) can save you from mechanics like Miior in Haunted Halls or any of the big lightning/fire hits that happen in certain raids.
    - 3 more AP (4 total) will net you +3 WIS while under an Action Boost. You should always be under the benefit of an Action Boost in combat with this build, which means you get points of WIS for single AP spends rather than the 2 per that is normal. You could always go CON or DEX if your priorities are different than DCs.
    - More can net you an additional +1 to stat, additional +3 stat boosts under an AB, and Heal Amp.

I'd definitely drop 4 AP into the Human tree for the Action Boost and +3 stat. Beyond that I would really only do if I had Racial PLs to fluff it up.

As for the feat, Precision is a very good option for that. I would suggest reading our gear discussions as changes could be made to easily drop Blinding Speed. There's a core 12 Monk feats for a Handwrap build that have been shared dozens of times. The remaining 2 (or 3 if Human/PDK) is where it is up to you. There are plenty of options, especially if you have past lives to add Completionist and Rogue SoS to the list, but can't really go wrong. Personally with a Human that is Scion of Ethereal, I'd go Completionist/Sneak of Shadows/Precision.
    Pinc Punch - Unarmed Monk (Uber Completionist) // Porc the Orc - Paladin // Thunderborn - Warlock // Imustbe Emo - PewPew Rogue // Aquamine Artifact - Crafting Artificer (shelved)

That's good news, but I think comparing to not morninglord it's not double, because it already is d6+4 if I'm not wrong. By the way, did I miss something, because the heat listed in the sheet seems to be missing met but he has 50

@drawing I'm almost sure can't use precision with ce stance. I have both atm because I miss the gloves with armor piercing so I turn on precision for boss when others have aggro (Wich is a problem I think I'll buy aggro reduction in ninja)
    Last edited by Ellihor; 03-05-2018 at 12:33 PM.

No, you cannot use CE and Precision at the same time - you would switch between depending on the situation. High AC target that you're getting grazing hits on? Use Precision. High Fort target preventing SA damage? Use Precision (after Destruction procs from either Eagle Claw or Deconstructor augment, you'll have 97% fort bypass with Precision). All other situations you roll CE. Pay attention to those grazing hits - people often underestimate how much damage is being lost to it.

However, as useful as Precision is, you are giving up 10% AC and 20 PRR when dropping CE and costing yourself a feat to take Precision. Because of this, I don't consider Precision a "core" Monk feat. So if you are dying due to the survival loss or would prefer to spend that feat differently, then there's no problem dropping it.

As for claims Duality essentially "doubling" damage, that was based on pre-ravenloft gear. Morninglord/Nightmother is inbetween.

Note: As tedious as the coffees from the Anniversary event are, they do give you a + or - 75% hate clicky. Just carry one of each and you can have a way to help keep or avoid gaining aggro without item or enhancement investment.

There is something really wrong with those screenshots. Even with the same gear, same feats, same enhancement, same PLs I would not reach those values.

I still want to see a breakdown of that INT, and with the rogue PL active I can't reach 150 hide like the ss. The only stat I can reach is DEX, because I am running an elf, but using crumblings atm and the gear you said you are using do not include insightful dexterity, so that's 7.

I understand you take separated pictures for each thing to make it more organized in the spreadsheet, but it makes wonder what's actually going to get those numbers. Specially when you don't want to make a breakdown for anything in the OP.

By the way, how are you getting 20 points from AC from armor? I use the same armor, same feats, same enh, and I get a bunch less (have to log in to see exactly, but I'm 100% sure it's not 20). Someone might think that value is exactly the same you get from epic mage armor... one might think things.

49% dodge huh?

How are you getting 20.8[W] on your wrap?

241 PRR without quality PRR and insightful PRR. Even counting maxxed grim barricade, I don't think I could get that (counting mists, max past lives. Breakdown please.

How are you getting 50 MRR without MRR item not even augment?

You show you have +150 to hit in the picture of the Duality in your inv, but in your videos you are with +150 on sneak attack, what means you actual to-hit is about 130. Confirmed by, one of your screenshots in the sheet wich is also showing +130 and your videos.

There are so many weird things going on, can you just give breakdown of everything useful? Start with the stats you listed in the OP. This is why I don't post screenshots when I post a build, they're useless for metagamers. Breakdown in the other hand is what we look for.

(if someone else is getting the same values and could do that the community will apreciate, because I think Symb isn't doing anything related to DDO anymore).
    Last edited by Ellihor; 03-13-2018 at 06:09 AM.

Default Those Numbers are 100% real.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellihor View Post
    There is something really wrong with those screenshots. Even with the same gear, same feats, same enhancement, same PLs I would not reach those values.

I still want to see a breakdown of that INT, and with the rogue PL active I can't reach 150 hide like the ss. The only stat I can reach is DEX, because I am running an elf, but using crumblings atm and the gear you said you are using do not include insightful dexterity, so that's 7.

I understand you take separated pictures for each thing to make it more organized in the spreadsheet, but it makes wonder what's actually going to get those numbers. Specially when you don't want to make a breakdown for anything in the OP.

By the way, how are you getting 20 points from AC from armor? I use the same armor, same feats, same enh, and I get a bunch less (have to log in to see exactly, but I'm 100% sure it's not 20). Someone might think that value is exactly the same you get from epic mage armor... one might think things.

49% dodge huh?

How are you getting 20.8[W] on your wrap?

241 PRR without quality PRR and insightful PRR. Even counting maxxed grim barricade, I don't think I could get that (counting mists, max past lives. Breakdown please.

How are you getting 50 MRR without MRR item not even augment?

You show you have +150 to hit in the picture of the Duality in your inv, but in your videos you are with +150 on sneak attack, what means you actual to-hit is about 130. Confirmed by, one of your screenshots in the sheet wich is also showing +130 and your videos.

There are so many weird things going on, can you just give breakdown of everything useful? Start with the stats you listed in the OP. This is why I don't post screenshots when I post a build, they're useless for metagamers. Breakdown in the other hand is what we look for.

(if someone else is getting the same values and could do that the community will apreciate, because I think Symb isn't doing anything related to DDO anymore).
    Some of those things have been nerfed since he made the spreadsheet, but I assure you those numbers are real.
    Balladeer Blackcloud (don't step on my Blue Slaad shoes!), Phantom Company (now you see us, now you don't).
    My Alts on Sarlona include Archi Medes, Pythagoras (Knows the Angles!), Techmech, Deepshade, and Doctrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoden View Post
    Some of those things have been nerfed since he made the spreadsheet, but I assure you those numbers are real.
    I'm not doubting them, he made a ss after all. But he is not being clear about what he used to get them, buffs etc. It seems those pictures were not done with the build posted in OP. Why can't you explain something so simple like getting 20 ac points from armor?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast