Community Member

Default Dwarf TYWA Druid, wip

This is a work in progress.

I have been toying with this for a bit of time now, but need more experienced people to help out with some suggestions.

I started with the stats looking like this:

Str: 8
    Dex: 8
    Con: 18
    Int: 11
    Wis: 18
    Cha: 6

Feat: Greataxe

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRunning View Post
    This is a work in progress.

I have been toying with this for a bit of time now, but need more experienced people to help out with some suggestions.

I started with the stats looking like this:

Not sure if you were planning on being in animal form, so wanted to start out by saying I don't believe TYWA works while in animal forms. Too bad though, might make bear interesting if the attack speed got fixed.

I'd look into a higher Int (if using Harper) or Str (base modifier) for your to-hit value since TYWA only affects your damage value. It doesn't need to be as high as your damage stat necessarily, but it also probably shouldn't be dumped.

May I ask why the 11 Int? Generally it's even numbers you start with, unless you have a tome you're planning on using to reach Combat Expertise or something?

I also see you have 18 Wisdom, any particular reason why? It is your primary casting stat as a druid, but if you're taking feats/enhancements to do well at melee, your caster DC won't be high enough to be worth investing that heavily into Wisdom. No-save spells maybe, but if you're putting doing melee you won't have the feats to take spell pen, spell focus, etc to make your spells land. This is under the assumption of doing high-end content of course, if you aren't planning on doing Epic Elite then you're fine doing a melee/caster hybrid like this
    Kestros, Wisdom Wolf
    Leader of The Shadowtouched, Ghallanda
    Member of the Tyrs Fellowship

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SilentRunning View Post

This looks like 29 point, unless my math is off. Probably not possible in DDO.
    A big problem with TYWA builds is your to-hit score. It uses strength. People sometimes alleviate this by having average int and taking Int to hit from Harper.
    Another problem is that with 8 strength, the coolest thf combat feats are out of reach for you. Consider 13 for Power Attack / Cleave / Great Cleave or 15+ for Two-Handed Fighting. Do you have tomes?
    Another problem, if you go pure, is that there's no class tree worth spending points. Consider dipping some melee class, for example monk or barb or fighter.
    Why making Wisdom your highest stat, if you want to melee? Or are you aiming to attempt some DC casting (Earthquake)?
    If you have FvS, the Warsoul enhancement tree has Divine Will: You gain an Insight bonus to melee damage and the DC of tactical feats equal to 1/2 of your Wisdom modifier.

Community Member

The only thing that would work in animal form is weapon focus: Bludgeoning that I could still use in Humanoid form. The 11 in int was an error, that point was added in the process of a veteran 2 build.

Seeing as TYWA will NOT work in animal form, I will need to alter the build a bit, I'm not going to abandon it though. Does Bull's Strength and Ram's Might Stack ?

Community Member

Apparently Ram's Might and Bull's Strength do stack, which is nice.

I altered the build to include weapon focus: Bludgeoning and Slashing and still have to add Piercing, to enhance my natural attacks as well as my weapon attacks. Stats were reworked so that I can still use TYWA while in humanoid form and enough strength for animal form attacks, which will both be boosted through the use of stat tomes and item effects.

I'll put up a list of how it's built in the near future.

Community Member

If the changes work out good, I won't have to alter my builds too much as I will be able to have my own TYWA Dwarf druid.

Eagerly waiting for this to happen.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

FWIW, I took a stab at a TYWA druid; but I didn't have time to test it on Lama. I was planning to go S&B and use Master's Touch scrolls for weapon proficiency; if going for 2H weapons, you need greataxe or maul feat if you stick with pure druid and don't want the to-hit penalty. I was trying to make a tank-y bear; but wolf build would also work, presumably.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    FWIW, I took a stab at a TYWA druid; but I didn't have time to test it on Lama. I was planning to go S&B and use Master's Touch scrolls for weapon proficiency; if going for 2H weapons, you need greataxe or maul feat if you stick with pure druid and don't want the to-hit penalty. I was trying to make a tank-y bear; but wolf build would also work, presumably.
    What about damage stat? I don't think it would carry over unless it's going off weapon coding now, and I don't remember reading any changes like that.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adrian69 View Post
    What about damage stat? I don't think it would carry over unless it's going off weapon coding now, and I don't remember reading any changes like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torc View Post
    1. Animal forms will now use the stats of the player's main hand weapon for melee attack purposes, such as Base Damage, Critical Multiplier, Critical Range, all Enchantments, Material traits, procs, etc.
    I confirmed this was working with Aerenal Grace (DEX to dmg) using rapiers; Caprice tested Acrobat's DEX to damage and it carried over too. So I presume the intent is for all such effects to work with animal forms in the next update.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.