Default Recommend a Dungeon Tile Set?

Hey. My friends bailed on me again but I decided to continue work on my personal role playing game. I've creating all sorts of background material, wrote some stories, invented monsters, and even sculpted about a dozen miniatures.

I would like to start converting my sketches of overland terrain, towns, and dungeons into usable maps. Then, I want to convert the maps into tiles with high quality graphics. Basically, I am looking for tile systems I can scale, print onto card stock, and laminate onto wood shingles. Maybe 10 years ago I made something similar but it did not hold up well to play. This time, I intend to build something that will outlast me and in a larger scale.

So, can you, the gentle reader, recommend any high quality tile sets for this purpose? Generic graphics? Useful tools?

I would like to avoid reinventing the wheel and attempting to create a tile set from scratch in GIMP because a) it takes a ton of time and b) I am not all that great with GIMP.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by xCataluna View Post
    I like Fat Dragon Games stuff. I use their 3D terrain, but if you only want 2D, you might take a look at their Copper Dragon Tiles and E-Z Tiles lines...
    Those are absolutely lovely and exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Thank you so much!

I was planning on casting the three dimensional elements in resin but some of those card stock buildings and walls look quite intriguing.

3D printers are becoming quite the thing, as well.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    Collectibles

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    3D printers are becoming quite the thing, as well.
    I remember telling people 15 years ago that stereo lithography was a revolutionary technology that would eventually have a huge impact on our lives. We are not there yet but it will probably happen before I die.

Unfortunately, such systems remain rather expensive and additional drawbacks. Most manufacturers still use stereo lithography to make masters for casting, not for finished products, though I've seen some very interesting final products coming out of the automotive and aviation industries.

The final caveat is that using such systems absolutely requires modeling every single piece in drafting software. That requires a great deal of knowledge and skill. I have tried. Oh, how I have tried. I am just not a very smart person and so will probably never get the hang of it.

Anyway, I am a pretty good sculptor and painter, and casting is fairly easy, so I will stick with easy stuff my bubblehead can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    I remember telling people 15 years ago that stereo lithography was a revolutionary technology that would eventually have a huge impact on our lives. We are not there yet but it will probably happen before I die.

Unfortunately, such systems remain rather expensive and additional drawbacks. Most manufacturers still use stereo lithography to make masters for casting, not for finished products, though I've seen some very interesting final products coming out of the automotive and aviation industries.

The final caveat is that using such systems absolutely requires modeling every single piece in drafting software. That requires a great deal of knowledge and skill. I have tried. Oh, how I have tried. I am just not a very smart person and so will probably never get the hang of it.

Anyway, I am a pretty good sculptor and painter, and casting is fairly easy, so I will stick with easy stuff my bubblehead can handle.
    Just for the record, in addition to the 2D tiles and the 3D paper-craft, Fat Dragon also produces products for 3D printers. It's their Dragonlock line.
    There's no 3D modeling required, you just print the tiles you need. (And paint them, if desired.) If you *already* have a 3D printer, they might be worth looking at.
    Otherwise, I'm glad you found the tiles useful! =)

Quote Originally Posted by xCataluna View Post
    Just for the record, in addition to the 2D tiles and the 3D paper-craft, Fat Dragon also produces products for 3D printers. It's their Dragonlock line.
    There's no 3D modeling required, you just print the tiles you need. (And paint them, if desired.) If you *already* have a 3D printer, they might be worth looking at.
    Otherwise, I'm glad you found the tiles useful! =)
    WOW! WOW! WOW! Hold EVERYTHING! Ahem. Slight change of plans.

The 3d printed furniture and terrain looks absolutely beautiful. It appears the technology matured much faster than I thought it would. Oh, how I wish I could design things like that. My sculpted monsters look better than most of their 3D printed monsters but at 3 cents a miniature, why bother sculpting?

I guess it's a good thing I can paint.

I wonder if I could make Litco tiles work with the 3D printed tiles. Then I could mix sculpted (which I greatly enjoy) and 3D printed tiles.

Actually, the 2D stuff could be turned into decals and used on the 3D stuff. This really opens up tons of possibilities.