Community Member

Default Globe of Invulnerability

So I tested GoI on beholder abilities and found that it doesn't work on anything save Enervation and scorching ray. Does anyone know if it prevents mind blast, ego whip, and other psionic abilities?

Community Member

Hmm. Seems GoI stops all Mind Flayer psionic atks on you except Mind Thrust. Is this WAI?

Community Member

Globe of Invulnerability blocks 4th level and below spells.
    Beholder spell like abilitities:
    • Disintegrate - level 6
    • enervation - level 4/level 3
    • telekinesis - level equal to monster level (so just find a level 4 beholder and you are fine
    • anti-magic cone - no level listed (it should remove the globe of invulnerability)
    • flesh to stone - level 6/level 4 (so if the beholder is a warlock it would get blocked. In Eberron, you stop moving for a while)
    • slow - level 3
    • finger of death - level 8/7/5
    • scorching ray - level 2
    • bestow curse - level 3/4
    • hold monster - level 4/5
    • inflict serious wounds - level 3

So, I would expect globe of invulnerability to block enervation, slow, scorching ray, inflict serious wounds and bestow curse. Not block disintegrate, telekinesis, flesh to stone, finger of death. Hold monster is on the border line but I would expect it to not be blocked (sor/wiz level 5 spell). More importantly I would expect globe of invulnerability to last about 3 seconds (dispelled by the anti-magic cone) so why bother?
    The blinking Drooam "backpack" is NOT a party buff. But its fun to say it is.

Community Member

GoI actually isn't dispelled by antimagic cone, but it can't prevent a beholder's antimagic cone from affecting you. Tested it myself. And even then, being able to prevent annoying effects like ego whip and mind blast is pretty useful. Haven't tested it on other stunning effects like the umber hulks stunning gaze. Will have to try that later.
    Last edited by Tuxedoman96; 11-19-2017 at 03:53 PM.