Default ToEE off-hand for shuricannons

So i was talking to a guy in-game about our shuriken builds. I've been using the ToEE melee version in my off-hand for the Greater Torrent proc, and of course the set bonus. He was using the caster version in his off-hand. When i asked him why, he said it was a secret. So... i'm coming to you guys... what's the secret?? PM if necessary

Thanks!
    Furian of Khyber

Community Member

If he was level 30, the spell power on his offhand ToEE weapon might correspond to his Legendary feat. For example Scion of the Plane of Earth would benefit from having high Acid Spell power. Just a guess. You can do that with any source of spell power though.
    Stratis on Khyber

Solo/duo raids and solo R10s. Come see what a bard can do.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq7...2ixwFkkmzBAvQw

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetigers33 View Post
    If he was level 30, the spell power on his offhand ToEE weapon might correspond to his Legendary feat. For example Scion of the Plane of Earth would benefit from having high Acid Spell power. Just a guess. You can do that with any source of spell power though.
    Yes, i think you might be right. However, it would make more sense to me to put that spell power in a gear location and keep the torrent proc.
    Furian of Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shein View Post
    it would make more sense to me to put that spell power in a gear location and keep the torrent proc.
    I agree with you on that. Celestia and Razorend are also offhand contenders that I've seen mentioned before. If you have the ToEE set bonus though, you're probably better off with that.
    Stratis on Khyber

Solo/duo raids and solo R10s. Come see what a bard can do.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq7...2ixwFkkmzBAvQw

the heroic AoE of ToEE weapons are surprisingly good for offhand but in epics they are too weak. So the other option is to get the Riposte bonus to saves (+6 insightful) from caster item.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links. LONG LIVE STEALTH!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Community Member

He may have made his offhanded weapon before then changes to AA were implemented and didn't want to farm a new one. The caster version gives the user a spell power bonus and at the same time gives 20 ranged/20 spell power; before the AA changes they were clearly the better option. Nowadays the main takeaway from the TOEE set is the ranged power.

In short whatever benefit he may be getting by using the caster version is minimal at best, such as from the legendary scion feats; personally I use a caster version, but that's because I was to lazy to craft a new one after the AA changes.
    Afunkymunky/Drkivorkian, Helter Skelter on Ghallanda

Epic Ring of Spell Storing--https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...+spell+storing

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    the heroic AoE of ToEE weapons are surprisingly good for offhand but in epics they are too weak.
    It's just illusion. 8)

See, Celestia have average 7,725 DPH from Fiery Detonation + Greater Sunburst proc with 39 fort DC save for Fiery Detonation ( don't know DC for Sunburst).

ToEE melee weapon have average 7.5 DPH from corresponded ability proc with 90 DC save (Greater Freezing Gale is best, as always, because Will save) and +20 MP from set bonus and purple slot instead green!

So, ToEE off-hand melee weapons clearly better for thrower builds than Celestia, and Celestia traditionally count as BiS for thrower builds. 8)