Community Member

Default offhand weapons for thrower builds?

I read that Celestia in the offhand will apply some of it's effects to your main hand (radiance, greater sunburst, and/or fiery detonation). I'm not sure which ones will apply and which don't, but it got me wondering what other weapons make good offhand weapons when using a thrown weapon in your main hand. Is there a list of effects somewhere that apply to all weapons regardless of its source? I know things like doubleshot and destruction work that way, but I don't know them all.
    Stratis on Khyber

Solo/duo raids and solo R10s. Come see what a bard can do.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq7...2ixwFkkmzBAvQw

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

AFAIK, this thread is still accurate (if dated): https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Thrower-Builds

Note that it predates the lootgen / Cannith crafting revamp, so some of the effects mentioned are no longer available.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    AFAIK, this thread is still accurate (if dated): https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Thrower-Builds

Note that it predates the lootgen / Cannith crafting revamp, so some of the effects mentioned are no longer available.
    AWESOME thank you!
    Stratis on Khyber

just a note—the ToEE AoE effects on offhand do affect the mainhand. So for a heroic thrower, a ML 7 (or is it 8) ToEE upgraded weapon, ideally with mythic boost, works great! Razorend is still awesome at ML 14 for tendon slice but that is useful for multiproc throws like shurikens. For a dagger thrower, I would do ToEE.
    Wiki dashboard with some useful stealthplay links. LONG LIVE STEALTH!
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Getting a little further down into the weeds: do you think the bonuses from using offhand weapons like Celestia or ToEE set outweigh the bonuses from Swashbuckling+Dashing Scoundrel (i.e., +1 crit range and extra Doubleshot)?
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

I was actually just asking this for a buddy of mine. He just farmed up the new lvl 28 spectral throwing daggers and is now trying to figure his next life build out. Originally he was going to do Monk and use shurikens and throwing daggers until we realized that the monk/dex doubleshot bonus is just for shurikens, so bard wasn't even on the table when I posted the OP.

Since then he has decided on throwing daggers (as opposed to shuriken/monk) and the vistani tree. For a Monk thrower, I think Celestia in the offhand would be pretty nice. But on a bard, I think either having a buckler and splashing 3-4 fighter for stalwart defender stance would be much better than just sticking Celestia in your offhand, or splashing artificer for traps would open a lot of possibilities for rune arms and probably be better than Celestia too.

If it were me, I would try to keep the bonuses from swashbuckling going at all times.
    Stratis on Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    just a note—the ToEE AoE effects on offhand do affect the mainhand. So for a heroic thrower, a ML 7 (or is it 8) ToEE upgraded weapon, ideally with mythic boost, works great! Razorend is still awesome at ML 14 for tendon slice but that is useful for multiproc throws like shurikens. For a dagger thrower, I would do ToEE.
    You can get the tendon slice on slaver gear (not the chance of razorend but something) and keep the ToEE aoe, have the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
    You can get the tendon slice on slaver gear (not the chance of razorend but something) and keep the ToEE aoe, have the best of both worlds.
    cool.
    The tendon slice on the Dun'Robar ring and Razorend is the old coding so it lasts one minute. The newer tendon slice does not last so long. Still, in heroics, even 6 seconds of tendon slice is pretty much a mob's doom.
    Proud Knight of the Silver Legion, Cannith: Saekee (main) and some others typically parked at some level to help guildies and other players

Community Member

cool.
    The tendon slice on the Dun'Robar ring and Razorend is the old coding so it lasts one minute. The newer tendon slice does not last so long. Still, in heroics, even 6 seconds of tendon slice is pretty much a mob's doom.
    So if you have the Dun'Robar ring or Razorend equipped along with either random gen/cannith crafted/slavers tendon slice, do those effects essentially stack?

Like a 10% chance for the Razorend tendon slice and then a separate x% chance of the other tendon slice to proc?
    Stratis on Khyber

The weapon imbues on runearms now scale with melee/ranged power, so those can actually be pretty nice. Might want to contemplate using a runearm if you're doing any artificer.
    Kimmeh--Lehren--Natheme--Arekkeh--Daiahn--Yesminde
    Join Magefire Cannon on Thelanis!
    Follow PB on Twitch!
    PB's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetigers33 View Post
    So if you have the Dun'Robar ring or Razorend equipped along with either random gen/cannith crafted/slavers tendon slice, do those effects essentially stack?

Like a 10% chance for the Razorend tendon slice and then a separate x% chance of the other tendon slice to proc?
    I seem to recall them both working but it was a while ago. Can't hurt to try...Don't forget shimmering arrowhead, insanely good...

Community Member

Don't forget shimmering arrowhead, insanely good...
    But don't add DPS like Golden Guile... it's why I personally prefer GG. 8)

Getting a little further down into the weeds: do you think the bonuses from using offhand weapons like Celestia or ToEE set outweigh the bonuses from Swashbuckling+Dashing Scoundrel (i.e., +1 crit range and extra Doubleshot)?
    I guess its all about how fast you want to kill something versus how much danger you are in from it or its friends. Personally, I don't care how long it takes to kill something if they're all blind and slow.