Community Member

Default Don't know why I am getting Ability Score Too Low Error

I'm probably doing something stupid, but I honestly can't figure this out. I just created a level 7 Half-Orc Paladin with stats below. When I try to assign level 1 spells it says Spell Action Failed: Ability Score Too Low, but I don't know how that is possible with my CHA at 14. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Str 21
    Dex 8
    Con 18
    Int 10
    Wis 8
    Cha 14

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Paladins use wisdom not charisma to cast spells.

Community Member

^^

What Krelar said. The minimum wisdom score needed to cast a Paladin spell is 10 + the spell’s level so you will need an 11 to cast a lvl 1 spell and eventually a 14 to cast them all. This is easily obtained with +WIS stat item.
    ~ Alco Holic ~ Grlfriendaggro Pizzenmeoff ~ Rincewind the Damp ~ Sunbernt Junk ~ Ouchmy Leghurtz ~
    ~ Bobthesponge Squarethepants ~ Whaleoil Beef Hooked~
    ~Ascent~

Community Member dragons1ayer74's Avatar

Further to this it does not need to be natural so a +3 wisdom item for example will let you memorize and cast your 1st level spell.

^ just as a point - doesnt even have to be an item. it can be a potion of owls wisdom.

Community Member

Paladins are confusing like that. They get their SP and spellcasting from WIS but their modifiers are usually CHA. eg: Smite Evil and Lay On Hands will use the CHA modifier to calculate damage and healing.

With that in mind most pally builds get a minimum wisdom and a wisdom stat item so they can cast spells and then load up on CHA, CON and STR. Your stats aren't bad by any means, you just need a +3 (or better) wis item.
    ~ Alco Holic ~ Grlfriendaggro Pizzenmeoff ~ Rincewind the Damp ~ Sunbernt Junk ~ Ouchmy Leghurtz ~
    ~ Bobthesponge Squarethepants ~ Whaleoil Beef Hooked~
    ~Ascent~

what server are you on?

and you are level 4?

Community Member

Thanks for the replies. I knew I was missing something obvious.

Community Member

I am on Orien, and I am level 7 (I used the Veteran upgrade).

Quote Originally Posted by Jhanandra View Post
    I am on Orien, and I am level 7 (I used the Veteran upgrade).
    awesome! whats your toons name?

Community Member

My toon is Zharga.

This all makes a lot of sense now. I swear I did research into this character, but no one ever talked about the need for Wis, so I just assumed they spells were cast based on Cha.

They don't need a high Wis (or even a mediocre one) b/c they are not (as a rule) an offensive caster, so don't worry about DC's. With 8 Wis, by the time you can cast a spell (Lvl 4) you can swig Owl's Wisdom potions, and have pro'ly found a +Wis item to slot somewhere (or at least to swap out).

+3 will get those Level 1 spells out, and you can do pots until Pali Lvl 11 (when you need +5 for Lvl 3 spells).

A Pali has so many demands on their stats, Wis is an obvious one to dump for 98%+ of builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhanandra View Post
    My toon is Zharga.

This all makes a lot of sense now. I swear I did research into this character, but no one ever talked about the need for Wis, so I just assumed they spells were cast based on Cha.
    Because all the min maxers assume everyone has completionist and +7 tomes, and ignores levels 1-29 when making a build.

Heh, there is that.

I also ignored the +2 ship buffs, which are pretty universal.* That means that any +Wisdom item gets you the Level 1 spells, and Owl's Wisdom pots get you to end-game.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Kneeza%27s_Bauble

(* If you're not in a guild, just join one. Even if you're not "the social type", many are no-commitment, no expectations. Too handy to ignore.)