Community Member

Default Grenades and Sneak Attack ????

Anyone notice that the Grenades from Trap Making are listed as Darts yet they do not trigger Sneak Attack damage : )

Is there any other weapon in DDO that also does not trigger Sneak Attack?

OR do you think this is a Bug and should be reported?

Community Member

I've been playing with grenades a lot, but I was looking at ways to improve the AOE damage and not paying attention to the backstab damage.
    From what I have observed: If a grenade does backstab, it will only backstab a single target and only if it hits.
    A grenade will still do AOE damage even if it misses the target, which is their strength.

That all said, if you do hit a target with a grenade and do the base 1 damage (plus whatever bonuses you can add on), and it doesn't backstab, then I'd agree that might be worthy of a bug report.

On the other hand, I have a "realism" perspective issue with ranged weapons doing backstab damage. Backstab is supposedly an extremely precise pierce or slash (bludgeon can't fit through armor very well) that targets an exposed area of the victim's armor and tries to hit critical organs or pressure points underneath. Doing all that from range just seems... well, it's a game mechanic. Given this perspective, it appears that lobbed projectiles accomplishing such precise targetting seem even more ridiculous. Short version: Don't be surprised if you get a "Working as Intended" response. I also don't think it will be a high (or medium, or even low) priority fix if it does get a look.

IMO, it would be better to focus on getting SSG to fix the AOE damage of mines and grenades as it is pathetically and outdatedly weak. At the very least, the damage should scale by something like Range Power or even Disable Device (100+DD maybe); like many other damage sources in the game do now (excluding the many forgotten spells, like Flaming Sphere and Flame Blade). The AOE area of grenades could be increased slightly, but I would be ok if SSG left that alone. While they are at it, they can also look at the DC's of the spell mines, which are a little OP (not by much, but still).

Community Member

Default Bug report sent

I sent in the bug report….. 26571

Since there are NO other weapons in DDO that we know of that do not apply Sneak Attack Damage this should be a bug.

NOTE…
    In DDO Sneak Attack is not Backstab.
    And that reminds me of the old Backstab video about the ballista.

https://youtu.be/s4ZeTAfYoY4?t=193

In DDO Sneak Attack Damage happens when conditions are met and has little to do with the “targeting an exposed area of the victim's armor, hitting critical organs and or pressure points underneath”. In DDO Sneak Attack Damage is because the target is not paying attention to you or cannot pay attention to you. Thus the extra damage is mainly because you are taking advantage of that.
    Last edited by Vyrzain; 09-21-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Community Member

Default Crippling Strike also not working with these

Crippling Strike also is not working with Grenades but it does work with other Thrown weapons.

Assuming if / when this Bug is addressed it will also fix Crippling Strike.

Community Member

Unhappy Still same issue as of 5-8-18 : (

Going to close this follow-up out on my end.

I can only assume that nothing is going to be done to address this and that SSG is stretched too thin, so to speak, to have the time to comment if this WAI or a Bug.

As of 5-8-18 the above is still true in-game.