Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Community Member

Default A reason for the hamster wheel

I'm not posting this posting this in the achievements thread because i don't believe its much of an achievement (i used 6 otto boxes). i don't want to get into discussion about why. It was simply a case of being time poor at times(balancing a job a business and raising a family will do that).So i guess i was paying for convenience. I'm posting this because i believe this game needs the occasional helping hand to get people to casually play. so this is a screen shot to confirm that there is a racial completionist feat. I cant tell you when i got it ( when i completed a life of each race or when i completed the triple completion ) it kinda just popped in the feat list. that's right, you don't need to select it as a feat and it stacks with completionist... not sure if its WAI. I would have made this completely anonymous but unfortunately this is my first post on the forums in 10 years and being the noob i am , i used my in game name for forum posts without future thinking. I guess if anything there might be a hand full of us across all servers. In any event, i hope this encourages more people to play. my server doesn't have many people on during my time zone. So apologies if i sound nostalgic but I'd like at least a small return to server numbers like it was a few years ago, even if it is short lived. Its my hope this post helps a little with more people jumping on that hamster wheel.

I was hoping for more than a hamster wheel, but since DDO already has a core of people attracted to long but easy grinds it makes sense. Otto's boxes are fine, but I am guessing you still need to run more heroic lifes to max out rxp so it was basically $240 to get you triple racial completionist a little quicker, but you will ultimately end up running at least 6 more heroic lifes for more rxp.

Nothing wrong with your approach, but the consumer in me says it's a bad deal to get one objective faster while still having to spend the exact same amount of time on the other.

For the record I don't think they should offer rxp otto's boxes even if it means their other otto box sales suffer.

As for population, SSG needs to find a way to attract back previous customers. That is much easier than trying to get new customers especially since younger folks tend to prefer games on their phone. It happened with other older games and is possible, but you have to ask yourself do you think the SSG team is making the kind of decisions that will attract back large amounts of people.

If you look at what is coming next it appears to be another grind - sentient weapons. Yuck.
    Last edited by slarden; 06-06-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    DC Warlock Reaper Build (U48)
    Max DC Illusionist Reaper Build (U48)

Sovereign Vorpal Halfling of Supreme Good scipiojedi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    I was hoping for more than a hamster wheel, but since DDO already has a core of people attracted to long but easy grinds it makes sense. Otto's boxes are fine, but I am guessing you still need to run more heroic lifes to max out rxp so it was basically $240 to get you triple racial completionist a little quicker, but you will ultimately end up running at least 6 more heroic lifes for more rxp.

Nothing wrong with your approach, but the consumer in me says it's a bad deal to get one objective faster while still having to spend the exact same amount of time on the other.

For the record I don't think they should offer rxp otto's boxes even if it means their other otto box sales suffer.

As for population, SSG needs to find a way to attract back previous customers. That is much easier than trying to get new customers especially since younger folks tend to prefer games on their phone. It happened with other older games and is possible, but you have to ask yourself do you think the SSG team is making the kind of decisions that will attract back large amounts of people.

If you look at what is coming next it appears to be another grind - sentient weapons. Yuck.
    Unless he doesn't care about RXP - like I eventually want to get completionist (8 years down the road or more it will take me) but have no desire to max out Rxp trees as there is nothing in them that keeps me up at night dreaming of new builds
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    Working for free makes it very difficult to spend money on swords.
    https://www.twitch.tv/romanragnorak/
    YouTube Channel
    -My main is Jobus on Khyber but I do play my alts regularly -

Community Member

Interesting. I wonder if it stacks with Completionist or just replaces it with a "free" feat for a selected one.
    Andrialla / Archellus / Kadarin / Mercantile Joe
    Knight of The Silver Legion (Forum name: Rugar)
    Cannith / Orien

I was hoping for more than a hamster wheel, but since DDO already has a core of people attracted to long but easy grinds it makes sense. [...]

In my case and some others: nope.

Not only because grinds are not what I like.

Introducing grinds that award so much power as the racial TR + reaper XP TR-like makes people who are behind in them feel that they will never catch up AND that they must go through it to remain somehow competitive.

So even if I would have decided to hand them 60 bucks for the expansion just for content, I won't because I don't enjoy being the gimp in groups.

In addition: just bloating numbers is NOT the challenge that makes me happy.
    Last edited by BigErkyKid; 06-06-2017 at 08:55 AM. Reason: PS - yuck

Community Member

A slap in the face of everybody that got completionist years ago, a way to make people buy lesser hearts or both?

face to palm
    Without new players DDO will go the way of the dodo.
    Old Sorc Build Guide, Ghallanda -> Orien

Quote Originally Posted by meleehater View Post
    A slap in the face of everybody that got completionist years ago
    I have had completionist on several toons for years and I don't feel like it is a "slap in the face" at all. Speak for yourself.
    Asheras - Velania - Renvar - Ventarya - Officer of Lava Divers - Khyber

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDOTalk71 View Post
    I have had completionist on several toons for years and I don't feel like it is a "slap in the face" at all. Speak for yourself.
    If they stack...

Time Bandit
    ex DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Maelphistez View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if it stacks with Completionist or just replaces it with a "free" feat for a selected one.
    If you look closely, both the Completionist and Racial Completionist Feats are shown on the screenie.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Natashaelle View Post
    If you look closely, both the Completionist and Racial Completionist Feats are shown on the screenie.
    Doesn't mean it stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
    Doesn't mean it stacks.
    OP wrote it stacks.
    Playing since 2010 | Don't do the fun wrong | New to Orien? Join the ingame Titan Channel | Soko Irrlicht freut sich immer über neue Mitglieder | Deutscher DDO Discord | Orien Raiding Discord | Toons: Titus Ovid , Bruder, Upload, Zzed, (Rubbel)

A slap in the face of everybody that got completionist years ago, a way to make people buy lesser hearts or both?
    meh.

Earning completionist before DDO store even had such things as Otto's boxes, xp pots, tomes, was a hardcore grind and is an achievement (in my own mind)...

inevitably purchase options become available...
    Sure you can walk to the top without any assistance like the original people did.. but there are elevators available if you want to spend a few more dollars to skip sections...
    bypasses and boosters are just good business options, those without the time or inclination can pay to fast forward..

Each person weighs the value of these options vs their purchase benchmarks..
    If the price point is there we tend to take advantage.. cost vs convenience
    I Subscribe to VIP and buy 50% xp pots regularly and had purchased the occasional Otto box to TR lives on my 2nd toon..

Do I care if someone Otto'ed all their lives.. nope.. that's a whole lot of cash I wasn't prepared to spend..
    but If I had won the local lottery and had loads of extra cash sitting around.. boom..insta-completionists..
    but then again.. Reaper XP... would then have to start pressuring the SSG to release Reaper Boxes.....
    25 Million RXP to cap the 158 points for all 3 tree's is gonna take a looonnng time...

Sentient weapons.. YAY..
    I can only hope they have the sentient weapons consume Named items to unlock trees/traits... and give them pet/reaper tree like options..
    I like the thought of sacrificing my named items to upgrade my Sentient weapon.. SOS/eSOS..... something from each pack/raid...
    a polymorphic weapon so it can evolve to whatever weapon I desire by consuming/slotting a base weapon type.. bow.ax.staff..whatever... without having to recreate it from scratch..
    Would revitalize every raid in the game..
    Last edited by JOTMON; 06-06-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 34/45 , RC 42/42 , IC 12/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 116/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/45 , RC 25/42 , IC 15/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 75/158)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/45 , RC 42/42 , IC 15/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 111/158)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    I like the thought of sacrificing my named items to upgrade my Sentient weapon.. SOS/eSOS..... something from each pack/raid...
    Would revitalize every raid in the game..
    yes, if we had enough ppl to fill a raid group...

yes, if we had enough ppl to fill a raid group...
    I would expect the grind for sentient weapon upgrades would put people in the similar hunting groups.. like RTR's are creating at level group for xp..
    assuming of course they develop this type of a upgrade progression and not something lame like unique sentient weapon xp earned like reaper xp...
    Argo: Degenerate Matter - 200
    Jotmon (HC 34/45 , RC 42/42 , IC 12/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 116/158)
    Jotlock (HC 38/45 , RC 25/42 , IC 15/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 75/158)
    Whatthetruck (HC 38/45 , RC 42/42 , IC 15/21 , EC 51/51 , RP 111/158)

Quote Originally Posted by Cantor View Post
    Doesn't mean it stacks.
    Severlin (or was it Steelstar?) made it VERY clear months ago that they would stack.
    Steve Howe was voted "Best Overall Guitarist" in Guitar Player magazine five years in a row (1977–1981) and in 1981 was the first rock guitar player inducted into the Guitar Player Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by Elandelll View Post
    ...I cant tell you when i got it ( when i completed a life of each race or when i completed the triple completion ) it kinda just popped in the feat list. ...
    Firstly, congrats! - that's a lot of grind.

It's a shame you can't recall if you need 10x3 or 10x1 to get the feat - not that
    it matters much, I'm doing it more for the AP but it's nice to know there is another
    cherry waiting

That hamster wheel is the exact reason why servers are so empty.

Shahang (hjealme), Wipekin (kotc), Nezhat (barbie) Ghallanda/Devourer

Community Member

I can't tell you how much this implementation of racial tr sickens me. The backloaded 3x past lives would be bad enough, but adding a completionist feat that not only gives +2 skills (bad enough) but +2 ability scores on top of that (are you kidding me?) is just ridiculous.

The only good news is I'm not the type of person who feels "compelled" to keep up with the Joneses so I haven't engaged in the whole hamster wheel thing - no heroic or racial completionist are going to happen at any point in the future and I've never spent TP on things like Otto's boxes and never will.

Still - disgusted (by development decisions).
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

Quote Originally Posted by Wipey View Post
    That hamster wheel is the exact reason why servers are so empty.
    This. It chases away more than it keeps.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast