Community Member

Default Thief-Acrobat enchancments are stacking?

Hey guys, i have questions becouse i did not found the answer yet. Do enchancments that are letting me hit and dmg with quarterstaves by using dex rather than strength, are stacking with strenght bonus or they are replacing it entierly? Im planning to do half acrobat rogue with str and high int to multiclass with wizard. Propably something like 13 rogue/7 wizard.
    What do you guys think? Is this a total waste or maybe not?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tario View Post
    Do enchancments that are letting me hit and dmg with quarterstaves by using dex rather than strength, are stacking with strenght bonus or they are replacing it entierly?
    The latter: you're substituting STR for DEX, not stacking both stats together. Same goes for other PrE abilities. Sorry, but DDO isn't that generous with the power creep. The closest you can get to "double-stacking" is a STR+CHA-based build with Divine Might; or a <dmg stat>+INT-based build with Harper using Know the Angles which provides an Insightful bonus to dmg equal to half your INT mod. Note that an INT-based build with Harper can have both INT to dmg from Strategic Combat (or other sources like Targeting Sights) and the dmg bonus from KtA; so essentially INT stacks with itself in this case.

Caveat: KtA doesn't stack with Insightful Deadly gear, just as Divine Might doesn't stack with Insightful STR gear. So bear that in mind when planning your gear lists.
    Im planning to do half acrobat rogue with str and high int to multiclass with wizard. Propably something like 13 rogue/7 wizard.
    It's doable, of course, but it's also a flavor build choice, insofar as you're giving up a lot of melee DPS by not sticking with either pure rogue or MCing with, say, monk for Henshin bonuses (e.g., rog 18 / monk 2 or rog 12 / monk 6). You get some useful buffs and utility spells from wiz 7 like Haste, Displacement, and Dimension Door; but those can usually be UMDed from scrolls just as well by a pure rogue. [DDoor scrolls are rare drops, but it's not like you need it for every quest, either.]

That said, it's up to you whether you're willing to trade DPS for extra utility / flavor. Somewhere I posted a halfling rog 13 / wiz 7 vampire staff build for someone who was running in an all-undead static group.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 05-11-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Hmm, thanks. You know i was thinking about doing metamagic and extending time of my buffs, becouse with that build i should be able to achieve at least 4th lvl of spells which can give me realy nice buffs from what i saw, for instance blur. But the real question is.
    Is this going to survive past lvl 13 without being just awful?
    How its gonna work with so low defence becouse at start this character has realy big hole in defence, i know that in late game its not a big deal becouse there are many other sources of defence but in early to mid game ac can do difference, and having it at 14 is a realy low score. Besides acrobat is somewhat forcing me to take dex enchancments, and thus somehow canceling my ability to multiclass into wizard.
    I was thinking about taking insightfull reflex to have saves from int which in turn helps a lot with merging stuff with wizard becouse they need int, and as a human i can pick both str and int to rise with enchancments.
    Im realy confused a little becouse i dont want to lose too much time, i remember when i played long time ago and did many flawed characters that have had problems after lvl 8.
    I did rogue/wizard once and it worked quite nice but that was before enchancment rework, and i am finding this rework realy interesting.

Thing is, i wanted to use eldrich knight tree + acrobat tree together, i dont have harper yet so i did not even considered it.
    On paper it was like wearing medium armor + using decrase of arcane spell failure from tree and well, on paper it looks decent.

Community Member

[spoiler]
    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    The latter: you're substituting STR for DEX, not stacking both stats together. Same goes for other PrE abilities. Sorry, but DDO isn't that generous with the power creep. The closest you can get to "double-stacking" is a STR+CHA-based build with Divine Might; or a <dmg stat>+INT-based build with Harper using Know the Angles which provides an Insightful bonus to dmg equal to half your INT mod. Note that an INT-based build with Harper can have both INT to dmg from Strategic Combat (or other sources like Targeting Sights) and the dmg bonus from KtA; so essentially INT stacks with itself in this case.

Caveat: KtA doesn't stack with Insightful Deadly gear, just as Divine Might doesn't stack with Insightful STR gear. So bear that in mind when planning your gear lists.

It's doable, of course, but it's also a flavor build choice, insofar as you're giving up a lot of melee DPS by not sticking with either pure rogue or MCing with, say, monk for Henshin bonuses (e.g., rog 18 / monk 2 or rog 12 / monk 6). You get some useful buffs and utility spells from wiz 7 like Haste, Displacement, and Dimension Door; but those can usually be UMDed from scrolls just as well by a pure rogue. [DDoor scrolls are rare drops, but it's not like you need it for every quest, either.]

That said, it's up to you whether you're willing to trade DPS for extra utility / flavor. Somewhere I posted a halfling rog 13 / wiz 7 vampire staff build for someone who was running in an all-undead static group.
    [/spoiler]
    Still, thanks for the advices.
    Have you any advice on doing rogue that can handle himself and maybe be multiclassed into something? Not nececary with wizard.

Sorry for double post.