Community Member

Default Any Ideas for a Swashbuckling rogue?

I am just finishing up a build that is here
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...efender-parody

It is a Swashbuckling Dwarf 12 bard 6 fighter 2 rogue

What I am interested in is doing this class again but more rogue style.. Not so much looking to assassinate things, but instead maximizing the sneak attack dice, having the blazing speed of single weapon fighting.. taking all 3 of them, shield mastery using buckler... I will be using a finesse weapon.

I played around using the character planner doing a level 1 fighter, level 1 bard, then rest rogue.. but I am not sure if I need more levels in bard or fighter.

I dont know what feats to take as in dodge, evasion.. shield masteries.. improved crit.. weapon finesse , weapon focus, over whelming crit.. or any of those crit feats.. or to hit feats..

So what is my goal? Well I love the class I linked above, it does awesome damage with that hand axe..
    I dont think Dwarf is the route this time.. I want to be Dex based and sneak attack dice.. perhaps a halfling? or Shadar Kai?
    But I want to use say a rapier or some other finesse weapon, and have the max speed and hit hard , crit, damage as possible.
    I am not sure how far up into enhancement trees I need to go.

Can any one help me putting one together? I know people like Zoda, Slarden, Unbongwah .. are names that I see often on the boards who are good at putting builds together.

Thank you.

Community Member

you need at least 3 levels of bard for swashbuckling.
    you probably want to start with rogue for skills.
    I'd look at the split 13 rogue / 3 bard / 4 fighter. Or reverse bard and fighter.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

I've posted a number of rog 12+ / bard 5+ builds: T5 Swashbuckler + T4 Assassin (max Killer), basically, with remaining levels seasoned to taste. CdG is much easier to hit a viable DC on MCed build since it's based on Perform skill; whereas Assassinate depends on number of rog lvls so you lose a lot on MCed vs pure Assassin. Rog 12 is necessary for Improved Sneak Atk feat (+3d6 SA), so this split has at least 9d6 SA just from rog lvls + ISA; plus whatever you can squeeze from Enhancements, gear, and Ethereal Plane feat.

It's not a build concept which has really kept up with the latest power creep, unfortunately, but it still amuses me.
    Semi-retired Build Engineer. Everything was better back in our day. Get off my lawn.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I've posted a number of rog 12+ / bard 5+ builds: T5 Swashbuckler + T4 Assassin (max Killer), basically, with remaining levels seasoned to taste. CdG is much easier to hit a viable DC on MCed build since it's based on Perform skill; whereas Assassinate depends on number of rog lvls so you lose a lot on MCed vs pure Assassin. Rog 12 is necessary for Improved Sneak Atk feat (+3d6 SA), so this split has at least 9d6 SA just from rog lvls + ISA; plus whatever you can squeeze from Enhancements, gear, and Ethereal Plane feat.

It's not a build concept which has really kept up with the latest power creep, unfortunately, but it still amuses me.
    Im level 25 now playing your build. I love it.. great damage, good survival.. except in reaper. champs hurt.

Anyway.. The main thing I need to know is Fighter necessary to take like in the defender build or should this stay a Rogue Bard Build only? Would I be losing important dps dropping fighter?

I didnt see your Rogue Bard builds.. I will need to look for them unless you have a link to them.
    Also need to know what feats to focus on, and which ones are not needed. Dont want to take something like imp crit, or weapon focus.. etc.. that I will not need.

I keep a 11 rogue 6 kensei 3 bard portal beater 3rd life alt I run twice a week (LES and Slavers)

It relies on SA damage and Crits, but is only great in groups without the PLs. Really high single target DPS though with a handaxe.

Community Member

Using handaxe and going along adrian's thinking i would tweak some things:

8 rogue / 6 bard + fighter

Lose 10% fort bypass, 3d6 SA damage and +2 trap sense.

Gain access to 5th tier warchanter/4th tier swashbucker. Working more of a freeze you to do 50% more damage and SA damage over more standing SA damage: I think = more defensive tactical options and plays + and overall damage/party contribution with auras and group damage multiplications.

AP would be tight, but harper int based KOA route would be viable alternative to cha based. dex based would obviously have defensive benefits but no tactical angles. need at least 11 AP into kensei for +1 mult as well. and nearly all of warchanter capstone enhancements are worthwhile, taking up the bulk of AP.
    Last edited by jeremyt; 02-18-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    Reckter 91PLs, Anhilliation 36PLs. Rekter 17 PLs. Vikzor 9PLs. Veisha 7PLs. Rekinja 4PLs. Rekalidin 4PLs. Minirek 3PLs. Artirek 3PLs. 175 total past lives gained, 1 XP stone used (the free one)

[QUOTE=adrian69;5940212I keep a 11 rogue 6 kensei 3 bard portal beater 3rd life alt I run twice a week (LES and Slavers)

It relies on SA damage and Crits, but is only great in groups without the PLs. Really high single target DPS though with a handaxe.

SWFx3
    IC: Slashing
    Weapon Focus Slashing
    Weapoo specialization Slashing
    Precision
    Shield Mastery
    Imp Shield Mastery
    Overwhelming Critical
    Ins. Reflexes
    PTWF or PSWF
    Epic DR
    Elusive Target
    Chaotic Dmg or Deific Warding
    Scion of Etheral.

Max Hide, Search, Disable Device, Heal for Cocoon, UMD, 7 points in balance, and rest is up to you.