Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Best U34 Thrower Build?

So while I wait for Arty pass to happen, I am going to play around with throwers a little bit but really don't know where to start.

After U34, what is currently some better thrower builds?

I have a guildy saying that Bard is hands down the best thrower now but I can't find much info on them. Keep in mind I am not good at searching forums on things like this.

If someone could link some good builds I would greatly appreciate it.

Also if there is currently 1 build above and beyond that would be great too =)

This toon will be Arty for sure when they finally get around to addressing some of the issues with it but getting some lives out of the way while I wait would be good =)

Toons - Ziffin / Hirtz / Mheka / Duskh
    Guild - High Lords of Malkier
    Server - Sarlona

Member of Spellswords on Ghallanda

Elf - 12 monk / 6 ranger / 2 pally

elf arcane archer tree
    sniper shot / slayer arrow
    ANT + shadow veil (means dropping kta)
    run in Fury of the wild

I'm about to tr to swap from helf 12 monk 6 ranger 2 fighter into this build.
    If you aren't aimed at high skull reaper: drop the pally and add 2 more monk levels or 2 fighter levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    A new harder difficulty is likely to just be that: harder, without giving commensurate power...Ideally, at the very hardest edge of difficulty, we would not know how long it would take until all quests are completed on that difficulty.

Helf build in my sig is my current favorite for Reaper as your job is just to drop big old DPS bombs and stay out of direct fire. Morro's build above is a little more survivable and gets abundant step but at the cost a good bit of burst DPS during Adrenaline volleys
    good at business

Should also make clear: There is no best. There are different builds catering to different roles and playstyles.

Morro's build is lowest DPS and highest Defense, crucial for some in Reaper 5+ skulls.

The build mikarddo linked is sort of the middle ground: a little more DPS than Morro's build from extra doubleshot in Monk during 10k, but lower saves from no pally.

Both of the above have abundant step for faster movement. If that's something you use/want, then that is important. Personally, I find between 10k and Shadow fade it's a bit of a pipe dream to have enough ki to use Abundant Step at all, but it can be done with Twisting Enlightenment, training a Ki regen in enhancements, and running in Water Stance. Even then, you really need faster sneakingx2 trees + NjS ki regen during sneaking to not have greyed-out hotbars for Ki moves occasionally. Which I hate. This is less of an issue in 10 Skull because things just take so much longer that you have more time to regen Ki, kind of.

My build (8m/6f/6ra) is the highest possible thrower DPS, with Sniper Shot, Slayer Arrow, and +1 multi from Kensei to both bow and shuri volleys. There is no higher ranged DPS build possible that I am aware of (please correct me if I'm wrong so I can TR). But it's saves are lower than Morro's, and it does not have Abundant step.
    good at business

Quote Originally Posted by jakeelala View Post
    Should also make clear: There is no best. There are different builds catering to different roles and playstyles.

Morro's build is lowest DPS and highest Defense, crucial for some in Reaper 5+ skulls.

The build mikarddo linked is sort of the middle ground: a little more DPS than Morro's build from extra doubleshot in Monk during 10k, but lower saves from no pally.

Both of the above have abundant step for faster movement. If that's something you use/want, then that is important. Personally, I find between 10k and Shadow fade it's a bit of a pipe dream to have enough ki to use Abundant Step at all, but it can be done with Twisting Enlightenment, training a Ki regen in enhancements, and running in Water Stance. Even then, you really need faster sneakingx2 trees + NjS ki regen during sneaking to not have greyed-out hotbars for Ki moves occasionally. Which I hate. This is less of an issue in 10 Skull because things just take so much longer that you have more time to regen Ki, kind of.

My build (8m/6f/6ra) is the highest possible thrower DPS, with Sniper Shot, Slayer Arrow, and +1 multi from Kensei to both bow and shuri volleys. There is no higher ranged DPS build possible that I am aware of (please correct me if I'm wrong so I can TR). But it's saves are lower than Morro's, and it does not have Abundant step.
    I concur on everything except the ki regen (don't think you need ki regen in enhancements - just need to not spam abundant step). Optionally if you are addicted to spamming abundant step for fast movement (I am), you could potentially drop shadow veil. Also in high skull reapers you typically wait in between fights (for things to come off cd and/or talk strats), so its not unreasonable (if you have a high concentration score) to be fine.

Totally Irrelevant Opinion / full disclosure: half the fun of running a "modern" thrower is fast movement, I would never drop abundant step for this reason alone. Though bigger damage numbers are nice :P

I haven't had a chance to run 8/6/6 on live. I will say it kicked the test kobold on lamm's ass though.

Edit: One final nitpick - its not my build :P. It's the classic monkcher build from eons ago with minor respecs for throwing / modernization. I wouldn't want to lay claim to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    A new harder difficulty is likely to just be that: harder, without giving commensurate power...Ideally, at the very hardest edge of difficulty, we would not know how long it would take until all quests are completed on that difficulty.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jakeelala View Post
    where can i see ur build in action on vid?

Dual-Wielder of Halflings DevHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sehenry03 View Post
    So while I wait for Arty pass to happen, I am going to play around with throwers a little bit but really don't know where to start.

After U34, what is currently some better thrower builds?

I have a guildy saying that Bard is hands down the best thrower now but I can't find much info on them. Keep in mind I am not good at searching forums on things like this.

If someone could link some good builds I would greatly appreciate it.

Also if there is currently 1 build above and beyond that would be great too =)

This toon will be Arty for sure when they finally get around to addressing some of the issues with it but getting some lives out of the way while I wait would be good =)
    My thrower is a pure monk drow. Two poison stances (it works on way more than you think, including undead), lots paralysis from a TF star, Ocean stance. I also use the LD ED because 70 Ranged Power is incredible; twist in Whirling Wrists and Enlightenment. I also highly recommend Scion of Shadowfell; with decent heal amp and good doubleshot you're going to be healing yourself very quickly if needed, and interestingly slaughtering your enemies revives you. Be sure to keep pumping points into UMD for Tenser's scrolls. You can swap between Imp Precise Shot with Water stance and Fire Stance with Archer's Focus for bosses; fully buffed and boosted you're going to do well. My build also focuses heavily on fort bypass, so precision is a good choice, along with w/e feats/enhancements you can get, and a Deconstructor auggie in a shuriken is good.

Like others have said, there isn't really a best, but rather what you prefer. Have fun with it, b/c it's been a wild ride for me.
    Officer and Webmaster for Fallen Immortals, a guild of Thelanis.

Join us on the Officially Unofficial DDO Discord! https://discord.gg/ewEncxRNjn

Default Curious

I am doing a PDK past life and using the 8m/6rngr/6ftr

I am
    Mainly placing my points in AA for slayer arrow with some in DWS for killer/others in kensai for competence and the +1 crit multiplier.

I am wondering what kind of numbers are people seeing?

I get about 110-195 non critical for front, 25-70 for sneak, then t3 goodies flames for TF shuriken, and then using force arrow and getting about 110-160 last numbers

Crits with slayer arrow (on each shuriken) are about 3-4K. Sometimes hitting for 4/5 times max.

Am I on par? Am I low?

What is a good set up to have? What ac is most of you at? Dodge?

Mainly using lvl 28 stuff from necro and some loot gen stuff with insight stats

Stats are 25 str/58 dex /38 con/25 int/42 wiz/26 cha

90 ac
    23%dodge
    Sprulok pure monk// Magnetik 12 monk/6rngr/2ftr thrower//Bllaak Stabbath Warlock (work in progress) Ghallanda server---Officer of the Captain's Crew

Dual-Wielder of Halflings DevHead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dpadan1974 View Post
    I am doing a PDK past life and using the 8m/6rngr/6ftr

I am
    Mainly placing my points in AA for slayer arrow with some in DWS for killer/others in kensai for competence and the +1 crit multiplier.

I am wondering what kind of numbers are people seeing?

I get about 110-195 non critical for front, 25-70 for sneak, then t3 goodies flames for TF shuriken, and then using force arrow and getting about 110-160 last numbers

Crits with slayer arrow (on each shuriken) are about 3-4K. Sometimes hitting for 4/5 times max.

Am I on par? Am I low?

What is a good set up to have? What ac is most of you at? Dodge?

Mainly using lvl 28 stuff from necro and some loot gen stuff with insight stats

Stats are 25 str/58 dex /38 con/25 int/42 wiz/26 cha

90 ac
    23%dodge
    For me:

Damage - Per hit, at least 275-300 base, 150(?) sneak; swapping stances, with Tenser's and 10k stars, and swap weapons along with debuffs on a single target can push those numbers to about twice that. Various stances and procs on top. This does require a fair bit of gear. I recommend a paralyzing TF shuriken for mobs.
    Defense - AC is about 90 or so. Dodge is in the 30s. Perm blurry with the incorporeal clicky thing and some displacement clickies plus a ton of kiting is most of my defense. There's some PRR but I don't push for it; I think my MRR is maxed at 50. I do also suggest a Cold ToEE robe; among many boosts it gives a good absorption against stuff like Polar Rays that evasion toons can't do a *ton* about; I always recommend Cold/Acid absorption to deal with that and Black Dragon Bolt.

Gear - Cannith stuff can work really well to round out what's missing. Treasure level 34 stuff is seriously very good. I can almost make anything unbound so if you're on Thelanis hit me up and I'll see what I can do to help you, though I'd need mats b/c unbound stuff is pricey.

Just know your build and what you want it to do and track down the gear that helps you do that. Difficult to compare mine with yours.
    Officer and Webmaster for Fallen Immortals, a guild of Thelanis.

Join us on the Officially Unofficial DDO Discord! https://discord.gg/ewEncxRNjn

Default ANT uncentered?

I've got a question concerning ANT and the extra throw. Is it possible to get it uncentered?

I read somewhere it adds even if uncentered but if i uncenter my helf chucker the dex to dmg disappears and dont think the shuri gets added.

Is there a work around with halflings or something?

been tinkering with trowers a while now. currently running a 8 rogue 6 fight 6 monk

would like to try an uncentered 12 fight 5 rng 3 monk but would need the extra shuri from ANT to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sthax View Post
    I've got a question concerning ANT and the extra throw. Is it possible to get it uncentered?

I read somewhere it adds even if uncentered but if i uncenter my helf chucker the dex to dmg disappears and dont think the shuri gets added.

Is there a work around with halflings or something?

been tinkering with trowers a while now. currently running a 8 rogue 6 fight 6 monk

would like to try an uncentered 12 fight 5 rng 3 monk but would need the extra shuri from ANT to work.
    Extra shuriken from ANT works while uncentered, but DEX-to-damage does not. You can however get that from Halfling racial tree.

See https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ed-Artichucker for an example.