Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Empower Healing spell

Empower healing is taxing my mana, but not giving me the 75 spell power. I have cast this healing spell 40 times and it has yet to hit me once for 24 hp let alone amped up to what it could do. Is this working properly? or as intended.
    Kahzadoom~Nexus~Irondoom~Doomlord~XvKing DoomHammer~
    Xoriat Born~Doompriest~Doom~Xzr~Legion of Doom~Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

Community Member

A little more information could be useful, but I'll answer as I can. Each point of spell power increases the base damage of a spell by 1%. In the case of Emp. heal, you'd get 75% the base damage.

That 24 you threw out tells me you're probably low level and have healing spells that have quite low base damage rate. If this is the case, we'll say you're a level 5 cleric casting cure light wounds. At level 5, you'll have a base damage of 1d6+2+5 for a maximum cure of 13. Since spell power only adds % of base and not point values, that means that in this case empower would be costing that extra sp (more than doubling the cost of the spell) for a maximum potential cure of 21, only adding 9. Given that this is the case, it really isn't worth it to use empower heal on those low level cure spells - you'll be burning a ton of sp for very little gain.

Looking at higher levels of cleric, though, empower starts becoming pretty important. Heal has a base cost of 40 sp, so at level 15 with a base damage of 150, that extra 15sp is now adding a much more respectable ~115 for a total of 265 (not to mention that you get enhancements dropping the added cost of empower heal by a good chunk). That's of course ignoring the fact that you'll have access to more powerful devotion items and lore items which will only add to the effectiveness.

A rule of thumb I often look at (it's not the end-all-be-all, but a good indicator of whether or not a metamagic is worth using on a spell) is the % of sp cost you're adding to a spell vs. the amount of added damage coming out on the other side. Low level cure spells add over 100% of the sp cost for a minimal gain, whereas higher level spells like heal or damage-over-time spells like firewall will work out to be well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Guartwog View Post
    A little more information could be useful, but I'll answer as I can. Each point of spell power increases the base damage of a spell by 1%. In the case of Emp. heal, you'd get 75% the base damage.

That 24 you threw out tells me you're probably low level and have healing spells that have quite low base damage rate. If this is the case, we'll say you're a level 5 cleric casting cure light wounds. At level 5, you'll have a base damage of 1d6+2+5 for a maximum cure of 13. Since spell power only adds % of base and not point values, that means that in this case empower would be costing that extra sp (more than doubling the cost of the spell) for a maximum potential cure of 21, only adding 9. Given that this is the case, it really isn't worth it to use empower heal on those low level cure spells - you'll be burning a ton of sp for very little gain.

Looking at higher levels of cleric, though, empower starts becoming pretty important. Heal has a base cost of 40 sp, so at level 15 with a base damage of 150, that extra 15sp is now adding a much more respectable ~115 for a total of 265 (not to mention that you get enhancements dropping the added cost of empower heal by a good chunk). That's of course ignoring the fact that you'll have access to more powerful devotion items and lore items which will only add to the effectiveness.

A rule of thumb I often look at (it's not the end-all-be-all, but a good indicator of whether or not a metamagic is worth using on a spell) is the % of sp cost you're adding to a spell vs. the amount of added damage coming out on the other side. Low level cure spells add over 100% of the sp cost for a minimal gain, whereas higher level spells like heal or damage-over-time spells like firewall will work out to be well worth it.
    And to think I was a raid cleric years ago... I miss read the discription. I was thinking 3d8 not 1d6 , also One thing that threw me off was I was expecting to seen my positive power to go up 75 when the EPH was toggled on. Thanks
    Last edited by die; 01-29-2017 at 08:47 PM.
    Kahzadoom~Nexus~Irondoom~Doomlord~XvKing DoomHammer~
    Xoriat Born~Doompriest~Doom~Xzr~Legion of Doom~Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.